“Worst food ever”
Review of Basmati

Basmati
Reserve with OpenTable
Basmati is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,007 of 2,900 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian, Fusion
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Just had the worst Indian food ever. Dishes that are worth 13$, 14$ but with no taste and not sure what they put inside. please avoid until they improve. Advise to the owners : please if you don't know how to cook, get a chef. I think it was family and I saw everyone was trying but it is definitely not working. Also you need cleaner washroom and environment. If this was in Montreal, already would have been shut down.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

Basmati used to be my favourite Indian restaurant in Ottawa. I felt very fortunate because I live so close! The original owner (I don't believe it is owned by the same individual as I never see the old staff anymore) was always on site back in 2013 and was an amazing, attentive and courteous cook. I used to love going in for their lunch thali, or to grab some channa masala, saag paneer, or curried mixed vegetables with gorgeous huge home made naan. Now, I always feel like I'm taking a chance with their food, it is often times drowning in oil and the spices are no longer well-balanced. I have thrown away whole dishes twice now because they were in such poor quality. One time the peppers in my dish were cut into quarters and it was served to me near-cold. Their naan is now small and round and seems store bought. Very disappointing and saddening that my favourite spot sucks now.

Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

There's nothing good to say about this place. Butter chicken was $14 and tasted like tomato soup with chicken chunks. Not rich and creamy. I had to season it myself as nothing in dish to cut the acid.

Saag Paneer was horrible. Was a can of frozen diced spinach with whipping cream poured on it and a few pieces of cheese.

Ordered pakora and they didn't have any. Decided to send 'one' samosa I didn't want.

Was just horrible. I will never order again.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

This restaurant is so overated. New to Ottawa I thought I would try it.
Small portions, the raita tasted bad, the daal was so watered done no evidence of actual lentils...baby food has more consistency, not sure there were any lentils. Naan, terrible. Rice was overly salty, and the rest of the dishes bland.
I paid $70 and it arrived almost 2hrs after order this order was for lunch and placed before noon. The driver asked me to come downstairs in case he couldnt find parking. said he was 10 mins away, and showed up 20mins after his call. I know indian food well, and I will not order from Basmati again.

Reviewed 11 December 2016

OMG do not order or visit this establishment. I ordered today for lunch directly through their website and had to call an hour later to check in on my order at which point they didn't' know the status, could be another 45 min he said for delivery, like that was no big deal. And I could go ahead and cancel if I wanted to, ummmm perhaps when I ordered I should have been made aware of this delay. Well I go ahead and say I'll call back in ten for an update since I was starving and then he called a few minutes later saying it would be there in about 10 min which was more like 30 but anyway I was just starving at this point.

Finally the food comes and it's DISGUSTING. Didn't' even eat the raita, it looked like spoiled yogurt. I was almost sick just looking at it. Saag Paneer was horrendous, so so so watery and bland with no flavor and the naan wasn't even naan it was like a weird doughey bread. The worst Indian food I've ever had in my life.

Normally I wouldn't complain but given the $30 bill for one person for such poor quality and the delayed delivery I thought I should call. I just spoke to the manager who could care less and said that there would be no refund and instead he would apply something to next order. Well as if I'm going to order again with that quality of food and experience. I asked for at least a refund on the ROTTEN raita and he would not even do that and was arguing with me. What amazing customer service! I'm absolutely appalled and disgusted both with the food and customer service, or rather, lack there of. Be warned, do NOT eat here!

1  Thank naomilegault