“Bland, watery "curry"”
Review of Basmati

Basmati
Reserve with OpenTable
Basmati is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,041 of 2,952 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian, Fusion
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Just tried this place for the first time tonight. We ordered the chicken korma and chicken vindaloo. Both were bland and tasteless. Really watery, no hint of rich coconut milk. Literally tastes like nothing. Pretty disappointed. Try somewhere else folks!

Mashiur R, Owner at Basmati, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Very sorry to hear that, is there any thing we can do for you please let us know.

Reviewed 30 December 2017

That's what I get for cheaping out I guess. I usually order from East India Company, which is a mere 2 blocks from Basmati, but EIC was $8 more for the same items, so I took a chance on a place I had never tried...

I knew I was in trouble as soon as I lifted the take-out containers out of the bag and every single one sloshed around like water. All of the deep-fried appetizer items were super soggy. Wet paper towel soggy. The taste of the dishes ranged from really blah to pretty good, but it was hard to appreciate the good flavours with liquid pooling all over my plate. I will never order from here again.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

i think they need to go to kindergarten to learn what is customer service.My son would like to go there so we went four people. order four dish. server served one dish, another one after 6 min later and other two have no clue, actually we feed the kids with that two dish and cancel rest of the order. and the food it's not an Indian taste.. horrible.

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Just had the worst Indian food ever. Dishes that are worth 13$, 14$ but with no taste and not sure what they put inside. please avoid until they improve. Advise to the owners : please if you don't know how to cook, get a chef. I think it was family and I saw everyone was trying but it is definitely not working. Also you need cleaner washroom and environment. If this was in Montreal, already would have been shut down.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

Basmati used to be my favourite Indian restaurant in Ottawa. I felt very fortunate because I live so close! The original owner (I don't believe it is owned by the same individual as I never see the old staff anymore) was always on site back in 2013 and was an amazing, attentive and courteous cook. I used to love going in for their lunch thali, or to grab some channa masala, saag paneer, or curried mixed vegetables with gorgeous huge home made naan. Now, I always feel like I'm taking a chance with their food, it is often times drowning in oil and the spices are no longer well-balanced. I have thrown away whole dishes twice now because they were in such poor quality. One time the peppers in my dish were cut into quarters and it was served to me near-cold. Their naan is now small and round and seems store bought. Very disappointing and saddening that my favourite spot sucks now.