“fun, classy and delicious”
Review of Play Food & Wine

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed 15 January 2016

Came to Play last week for a 50th Birthday Party. What a great venue, easy to get to, park and walk in 'party' shoes. Didn't know a person in the room, other than the Birthday girl, but soon met and had great conversations with many thanks to the friendly easy to talk in atmosphere. Of course the wine selection was superb, and tapas plates delicious.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)

Reviewed 8 January 2016

As always Play- Wine and Food exceeded our expectations. The service is amazing and food and everything else. Highly recommend. Perfect location!

Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

The food was excellent and I have zero complaints!
Server was very nice and suggested something for our second glass of wine and I approuved 100%.
I plan on going back!!!!

Reviewed 3 January 2016

Play is one of the three restaurants in the Bekta chain (Play, Gezellig and Bekta, all founded by Steven Bekta). This is my second time at Play and I loved it. My wife and I decided to make an online reservation earlier in the day with no problem. Thinking that since it was the first Saturday since new years, Play wouldn't be very busy. Wrong.

Although it was busy, we were seated immediately. The theme that Play is built around is "small plates", meaning you can have a number of dishes offered and even share with your friends. This is a good idea as there is quite a variety of food offered, from pasta to soup, fish, beef and pork and they all look, and are indeed good.

We started by sharing prosciutto, accompanied by apple and berry compote, hot mustard and thin, crisp, toasted slices of baguette. Simply delicious.

I moved on to the "Corndog". Now don't get me wrong, I do eat the occasional "normal" corndog and I must admit that when I saw it on the menu, I was surprised. What is a high end restaurant doing with corndogs on the menu? I continued reading the menu with growing corndog skepticism and then remembered my daughter telling her mother and I that she has had the corndog at Play and this was definitely not a traditional wiener on a stick. She also said how much she enjoyed it.

All I can say is that I'm glad I ordered it. A locally made gourmet sausage deep fried with a thin coating of crunchy corn meal, served with caraway mustard and potato salad with tarragon. No stick in a wiener at this place.

As I enjoyed this mouthwatering sausage, I overheard the woman at the next table say "Corndogs! I hate those things, they're greasy and covered in thick dough. I'm not having that." My thought from the beginning was to perhaps change the name to anything but corndog, first impressions have a lot of impact.

My wife had something called Branzino, a European sea bass served with crusty risotto cake in a lobster sauce and tomato pesto. Wow, that was good.

One of the other great things that all of the Bekta restaurants do is take the mystery (and the snobbery) out of what wine to choose. Each menu item is followed by a wine suggestion that is an excellent accompaniment to the food. If you don't have strong knowledge of wine, go with the suggested pairing, you won't regret it.

The deserts looked great and we settled on a cheese plate that included Chateau de Bourgogne, a rich and buttery piece of heaven, Shropshire blue, which sounded intimidating but was delicious, and a new cheese added that afternoon and not on the menu, also delicious.

Our server Jason, bartender Jeremy and hostess Amanda were professional and extremely gracious. They alone are worth visiting Play. The great staff combined with the fantastic food makes this one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

2  Thank NonameDave
Reviewed 3 January 2016

Play food and wine is one of our favorite restaurant in Ottawa. The service is attentive and friendly and the quality of the food never disapoints. For NYE, the four course special was spectacular. The charcuterie plate (chiffonade de prociutto, un délice) and tuna tartare were great but the risotto was the star of the menu, very delicious and flavourful! Our friends enjoyed the evening. We will go back! Merci!