“Great Southern Comfort food”
Review of Jean Alberts - CLOSED

Jean Alberts
Price range: US$14 - US$18
Cuisines: Southwestern
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Took my wife to Jean Alberts for late lunch last week and she had the Southern Fried chicken salad and I had the Chicken & rib combo. We were served by Leroy , one of the owners . who is very personable and friendly and although he had no catfish for my wife. he was quick to offer some other suggestions.The chicken is the way Fried chicken used to be - Lightly fried , moist and not greasy (like a Colonel might cook!).They have a nice central location on Somerset street and an outstanding Sunday Brunch. If you are in to authentic Southern cooking from the American heartlands - This is it. !

Reviewed 15 November 2010

I was in Ottawa for a week on business and decided to try something different each night. I checked into my hotel and opened up the Visitor's guide for Ottawa and just happened to flip to a page with a small article about this new restaurant.

I saw in the article some of the offerings the restaurant had. The first thing I saw was chicken and waffles. This was a meal I had always wondered about and knew right away I had to try this place.

I ended up visiting the restaurant with a co-worker. The woman working (I believe the co-owner) was very welcoming and friendly right away (even looked a little like Rachel McAdams lol). She had lots of suggestions to make regarding food and drinks. To start, they make their own lemonade and real brewed iced tea. I tried the iced tea and it was fantastic.

I am a good eater, especially when trying new foods in new places, so I had quite the order. My meal consisted of pork smothered cheese fries (an appetizer that consists of french fries, covered in pulled pork and cheese), chicken and waffles with cornbread and warmed table syrup, and buttermilk pie for dessert. Obviously, this menu is full of southern style comfort food and isn't for you if you are only conccerned about calories and nutrition. I am an active person and pay particulr attention to my nutrition and lifestyle. That being said, I can enjoy a place like this occasionally and would recommend anyone else to do the same.

The food was fantastic, the staff friendly, the prices decent and the portions outstanding. If you are looking for a unique experience that you can truly enjoy, this is the place, I know I will return anytime I am in Ottawa.

Reviewed 29 May 2010

One of the things I appreciated most as Jean Alberts is they have a childrens menu that is very reasonalbly priced but is the same food in smaller portions as much of the adult menu. The Children's chicken nuggets are real chicken cut and breaded in the restaurant. And the food is good! Great house made fried chicken, Mac and Cheese that was approved by our resident expert, tasty collard greens, and delicious coleslaw. The place is not fancy and the waitresses are very casually dressed but the service was good and the place was clean and, you don't go for the decor you go for the food. I want to try the whole menu.