“Loved my food, not the awkwardness....”
Review of Jean Alberts - CLOSED

Jean Alberts
Price range: US$14 - US$18
Cuisines: Southwestern
Reviewed 20 August 2011

This was my second trip to Soul Food with my husband. We LOVED it when we went before. Leroy stayed open a little later and served us amazing chicken and waffles.

This time, the server was his wife I believe. She was friendly enough, but had a condescending tone in her voice the whole time and made eye contact/spoke only to my husband. When we were finished, we heard her on the phone to someone who had applied for a job where she spoke to them so rudely it made me feel embarassed. Sure, provide feedback to the person who missed their interview, but to do so, so loudly and rudely in front of your dining room? After this, an employee walked away and asked him how his night went, and from their they had a talk in front of everyone about how he didnt want to talk to about it right then, and she pushed him to say he was giving his two weeks notice. He left, and we were going to pay and get out of there when she called her husband to tell him what happened. She then went outside (presumably to follow the employee?) and came back. We paid and left when she returned, but before that we were left awkwardly waiting to pay and leave.

I hate to write this review, but I am writing it because I really love Soul Food, and want them to take notice of this unprofessionalism because I have read other reviews about her swearing and chastising employees in front of diners and I think this is hurting their business. If you must speak to staff in ANY sort of negative way, do NOT do so within earshot of guests. We come to your restaurant to feel comfortable and at ease eating wholesome home cooked food, but we dont necessarily need to feel like we are part of a dysfunctional family dinner.

Again, I want this restaurant to be around for a long time to come, so I hope they take notice and make some changes.

We will be back.

1  Thank PrincessCharlie

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I went to Jean Albert's tonight with the recent Groupon. I brought my 4 year-old son.

We started with the lemonade - his straight lemonade, mine with a tequila add-on. Both were great, but the boozy version was pretty steep at $7.50. The cornbread is delicious. The waitress was fabulous - just the right amount of attentiveness and a really great disposition.

For the main I had the chicken and waffles. It was...alright. The chicken was good, but the waffle was really heavy and almost undercooked. My son had the kids' mac and cheese. It was dry and not very flavourful.

In addition, I wouldn't recommend you go there if you're in a hurry. The dining room seats maybe 30 people but there's only one server. She did a great job but the kitchen is slow getting food out.

I might try this place for lunch sometime because they have a pulled pork sandwich on the lunch (but not dinner) menu, but I'm not sure I'd go back for dinner.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

First: You are in Canada, although you are cooking Southern cuisine, a Canadian flag should be up as well as your enormous American one.
Loved the pancake style cornbread, delicious. The menu definitely should have green beans as a side...
Southern sweet tea has lemon on the side not in it
The chicken was amazingly moist and mighty good
Sweet potatoes were so so definitely candied with lots of cinnamon
Collard Greens, haven't had those in a while, what a nice treat, a hint of BBQ sauce made this a delight
Charging for hot sauce... seems a lil too desperate
Macaroni, ribs and lemonade were pretty good
worth a try is your missing southern cooking

Reviewed 14 July 2011

Took my wife to Jean Alberts for late lunch last week and she had the Southern Fried chicken salad and I had the Chicken & rib combo. We were served by Leroy , one of the owners . who is very personable and friendly and although he had no catfish for my wife. he was quick to offer some other suggestions.The chicken is the way Fried chicken used to be - Lightly fried , moist and not greasy (like a Colonel might cook!).They have a nice central location on Somerset street and an outstanding Sunday Brunch. If you are in to authentic Southern cooking from the American heartlands - This is it. !

Reviewed 15 November 2010

I was in Ottawa for a week on business and decided to try something different each night. I checked into my hotel and opened up the Visitor's guide for Ottawa and just happened to flip to a page with a small article about this new restaurant.

I saw in the article some of the offerings the restaurant had. The first thing I saw was chicken and waffles. This was a meal I had always wondered about and knew right away I had to try this place.

I ended up visiting the restaurant with a co-worker. The woman working (I believe the co-owner) was very welcoming and friendly right away (even looked a little like Rachel McAdams lol). She had lots of suggestions to make regarding food and drinks. To start, they make their own lemonade and real brewed iced tea. I tried the iced tea and it was fantastic.

I am a good eater, especially when trying new foods in new places, so I had quite the order. My meal consisted of pork smothered cheese fries (an appetizer that consists of french fries, covered in pulled pork and cheese), chicken and waffles with cornbread and warmed table syrup, and buttermilk pie for dessert. Obviously, this menu is full of southern style comfort food and isn't for you if you are only conccerned about calories and nutrition. I am an active person and pay particulr attention to my nutrition and lifestyle. That being said, I can enjoy a place like this occasionally and would recommend anyone else to do the same.

The food was fantastic, the staff friendly, the prices decent and the portions outstanding. If you are looking for a unique experience that you can truly enjoy, this is the place, I know I will return anytime I am in Ottawa.