All reviewsno elevatorbircher mueslinespresso machinecurling ironbyward marketeggs and french toastheritage buildingsmall hotelhardwood floorseuropean feeldowntown ottawarideau centrethird floorwalking distanceattending a conferencelimited parkingparliament hill
Reviewed 12 June 2018

This hotel is located near the city centre and the Byward Market as well as the university. It suited us as one of us wanted the university and one wanted to sightsee. While you may see homeless people as there is a nearby hostel, I felt very safe day and night.

The hotel itself is one of character and not cookie cutter and in good condition.

The staff were very nice and very accommodating when I asked for real milk for my coffee and the hotel was clean and comfortable. We didn't use the breakfast so I cannot comment on it. There is a nice outdoor terrace and parking for $12 per day if required.

The only problem I had which might stop me staying again is the room size. Ours was really quite small and the shower cubicle also small and we are average size people. It did not have a fridge which I would have really liked but I guess there was no room. There is no iron in the rooms but one is available on the second floor. Ok but not the convenience I prefer.
However, having said that I did see that there were bigger rooms and they looked good and character filled.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank uptightoutasight
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Thank you for staying with us, and for leaving us your thoughts about your stay. We hope that in the future, should your travels bring you through Ottawa again, you have the opportunity to try our breakfast, as well as stay in one of our larger rooms! We thank you once again for staying with us at Swiss Hotel.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

Lovely little hotel. Great parking ($12) on the side. Rooms are cosy, clean and functional.

Stayed here very recently for a night out at ByWard Market. Very easy walking distance.

Check-in very effecient and overall a great place to stay.

This is not a big commercial hotel....so if you are looking for lobbies, bars and pools...not the one for you.

This is a great location if you want to tour downtown Ottawa, the Parliament and ByWard market.

Have fun!

Room Tip: Great for touring the ByWard Market
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Thank you for leaving your thoughts regarding your stay! We are happy that you enjoyed the stay with us, and we are glad that you took advantage of our proximity to the Byward Market while you were here! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

It’s everything I need when I’m Ottawa. Close to market (much more fun than government buildings!); boutique-style rooms but not as expensive; easy in and out with outside parking right on the premises; Sabina’s wonderful breakfasts and her energy and enthousiasm; if you like big chain hôtels, this might not be your cup of tea... but it sure works for me. One small suggestion: a bit of background classical music or jazz in breakfast room for a little ambiance would be a good addition (guests remain too quiet when it’s so silent!).

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts and recommendations! We are very happy that you like the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Ottawa!

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

They thought of everything (except a glass of red ). What a treat. Long day of meetings and travel and I arrive to a jacuzzi tub in the room, fireplace, candles (with matches), bath salts, bath robe, towels, soft lighting. The spa treatment during a business trip. I checked in pretty late and the woman at the front desk was really friendly and informative with no hint of the luxury I was about to step in to (I guess she thinks it’s normal and not special) very special. The location is quiet and with a comfortable walk to shops, cafes, and restaurants. When in Ottawa I usually stay at a different property, not anymore. I look forward to my meetings ending tonight for another soak before heading home tomorrow . Thank you Swiss Hotel Ottawa!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2018

Thank you so very much for having stayed with us, and thank you for leaving this review! We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

I booked the Swiss Hotel based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and the hotel I would normally book (Alt) was full, as was the Delta where the conference I was going to was being held.

So, I found Swiss Hotel on Trip Advisor. First impressions were not great. The area is not good. I'm a single woman travelling alone. I would also like to say that I have lived in cities for most of my life, and travel frequently, so don't scurry away when I see addicts, homeless or sex workers. However, I do like to stay in areas and buildings where I feel safe. This was not the case here. The building itself has a more long-term hostel feel to it as do the rooms.

The room was fine, if not a little musty. The walls are thin and the building is older. The lock on the door and the door itself did not feel the most secure. There is no one at the duty after 11pm and you have to ring a bell if you want to get someone.

In my meetings the next day I told a few colleagues (all from Ottawa) where I was staying and their responses were not good. One suggested I move for 2nd night. One asked jokingly if they rent rooms by the hour. And a 3rd who is a clinician said that he has a few clients who stay there, then added that they are drug addicts.

So, I will not be going back to Swiss Hotel and I cannot recommend it to others especially female travellers and people travelling with children. It's cheap for a reason.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank Whitney G
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

We are sorry that the area left such a lasting impression on you, and that it affected your opinion of your stay enough to post the off-color jokes you and your colleagues (who were not guests) shared about it. We live on premises, it is correct that after 11pm we can be contacted by night bell, but there is always somebody here 24hrs. We are also an adults-only inn, the youngest we allow at the hotel typically is 12 years old, so we send travelers with children elsewhere. After reading this review, we are confused as most of what you mention here is not reflective of our hotel generally, nor reflective of the typical experience others have, but regardless we hope your future stays in Ottawa are pleasant!