“Noisy Night Out”

Das Lokal
Ranked #51 of 2,884 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Das Lokal Kitchen and Bar is located at 190 Dalhousie Street in Ottawa's Byward Market. We are an international restaurant with with a German twist. We serve locally sourced ingredients, proudly prepared in-house by Chef Christian Wallner and his team. Our seasonal menus and drinks are inspired by our staff's love for food and wine. We serve vegetarian dishes and have gluten-free options. We are open seven days a week, including Saturday and Sunday brunch and dinner. We host a range of events such as weddings, cocktail receptions, anniversary celebrations and we offer the restaurant rent-free for private dining events for larger groups on Sunday and Monday evenings. We have live music (7-10 pm) by pianist, Adam Saikaley, on Thursday to Saturday.
Reviewed 4 December 2017

Went on a Saturday night, when it was super busy and very noisy. Would definitely recommend a reservation if you are going Saturday night too. They also have a piano player, but it was hard to hear the piano over the chatter.

The menu is limited, but all the selections chosen by everyone there were very good. I chose the soup of the day, which was French onion. It was either the soup or the mixed greens, which apparently were very good too. Several people chose the Viennese pork schnitzel but I was more adventurous and chose the braised rabbit vol-au-vent. The flavours were quite delightful.

For dessert it was a choice between apple strudel or Black forest cake, I went for the cake and it did not disappoint. I shared it though as it was a rather large piece.

Our wait staff were very friendly and efficient and I would definitely go back again.

3  Thank Jean H

Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

My wife, daughter and I were attending an early evening event at the Elizabeth Bruyere Hospital and looked for a decent restaurant nearby for an early dinner. We found Das Lokal on TripAdvisor and were not disappointed. Our window of time was only an hour and thus could not stay for either dessert or coffee so cannot attest to their quality. However, our meal fully met our expectation. All three of us ordered the cheese and bacon soup which was tasty and satisfying. Although tempted by braised rabbit and other appealing menu items we opted for the fish duo which combined Arctic char and shrimp. My wife and daughter shared theirs, I had a full serving. It was both very good and reasonably priced. We look forward to returning and, with more time, sampling other enticing menu selections.

2  Thank Ottawans
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Yesterday we enjoyed a great brunch! A couple of had the Das Benny, an updated version of the classic. I had it with avocado and it was delicious. All four of us enjoyed our meals and the full bodied coffee. Even though it was busy, it had a comfortable atmosphere and the service was quick, friendly and attentive. We will definitely go back the next time we are in town!

4  Thank 63JoanneRR
Reviewed 17 November 2017

The location and atmosphere is nice, the restaurant is comfortable, and while the food is good, it is not inspiring - meaning I have had better and I have had worse,
I was there for dinner in September and I sat outside. I had their daily soup - cream of something or other, and the flat iron steak. I also had a cocktail and a glass of wine. The server helped me select the cocktail and the wine, both very good. While the food was good, I somehow expected to be "wowed" I wasn't, but I am going to try them again and have different dishes.

2  Thank Rosaliegh
Reviewed 25 October 2017

We were planning to try this restaurant for a while now, and we were happy and thankful that we could have a last minute reservation on a very busy Saturday night. This place is special with its unique, eclectic, welcome home feel. Many regulars, locals I think, are meeting there – reminding me of the “Stammtisch” in Europe. We are very happy for this establishment to have survived the competition for so many years.
Now to discuss the food: The Oktoberfest menu has a good variety of dishes. The pretzel the Obatzer and the bratwurst served beside a sour kraut strudel are really good and very close to the original taste with an added and welcomed modern touch. Starting with the size of the pretzels or the sour kraut in a Strudel form. Each bite is as if you are biting in a cloud full of childhood memories. Unfortunately we cannot say the same about the modern, sophisticated, hip, trendy Viennese pork schnitzel. We were really surprised about the chef’s creation. I have nothing against changing but don’t call it Wiener Schnitzel because it is not even close to the original one. “De gustibus non est disputandum” translated- You cannot argue about taste - Latin idiom... We asked to have the sauces on the side but the cranberry sauce was still hidden underneath two beautiful, golden fried pieces of pork schnitzel. This sauce, for us, ruined the schnitzel. The cranberry sauce and jelly did overpower the pork. The pork schnitzel had to compete with this tasty red intruder. Maybe this is a modern creation of a Viennese schnitzel to please some North American tastes buts. The cranberry sauce on its own was amazing and all ingredients were of very good quality. The desert was fabulous, the fresh home-made apple strudel and the velvety Bailey flavoured crème brulé; very comforting with an elegant touch.
The place is very clean including the facilities – that always tells me a lot about a restaurant. Lighting is good. Our server was very helpful and quick, without making us feel rushed. I really felt like in Europe and enjoyed spending time with friends while trying to listen to the piano as well. I do feel for the pianist. There is such a thing as “restaurant voices”, but not in the case of last Saturday, it was very noisy.
Overall, I would recommend this place, and we will be back.

3  Thank Raluca4