“Such a lovely find”

Das Lokal
Ranked #35 of 2,947 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Das Lokal Kitchen and Bar is located at 190 Dalhousie Street in Ottawa's Byward Market. We are an international restaurant with with a German twist. We serve locally sourced ingredients, proudly prepared in-house by Chef Christian Wallner and his team. Our seasonal menus and drinks are inspired by our staff's love for food and wine. We serve vegetarian dishes and have gluten-free options. We are open seven days a week, including Saturday and Sunday brunch and dinner. We host a range of events such as weddings, cocktail receptions, anniversary celebrations and we offer the restaurant rent-free for private dining events for larger groups on Sunday and Monday evenings. We have live music (7-10 pm) by pianist, Adam Saikaley, on Thursday to Saturday.
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Myself and my husband came here today because l had a hankering for mulled wine, and after googling where to find it I was pointed to Das Lokal! The restaurant itself is really cute and I love the German accents in the decor (such as “ampelmann” on the washroom doors). The barman in particular was very welcoming and friendly, and knew exactly what we were looking for. We were served two of the most delicious cups of glühwein this side of Germany! As two Europeans living in Ottawa, it’s nice to have somewhere to come to have a taste of the familiar. We will definitely be back, I can’t wait for our next visit! It was a very pleasant surprise to find such a nice spot after a simple google search.

5  Thank hana_oc

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Went on a Saturday night, when it was super busy and very noisy. Would definitely recommend a reservation if you are going Saturday night too. They also have a piano player, but it was hard to hear the piano over the chatter.

The menu is limited, but all the selections chosen by everyone there were very good. I chose the soup of the day, which was French onion. It was either the soup or the mixed greens, which apparently were very good too. Several people chose the Viennese pork schnitzel but I was more adventurous and chose the braised rabbit vol-au-vent. The flavours were quite delightful.

For dessert it was a choice between apple strudel or Black forest cake, I went for the cake and it did not disappoint. I shared it though as it was a rather large piece.

Our wait staff were very friendly and efficient and I would definitely go back again.

3  Thank Jean H
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

My wife, daughter and I were attending an early evening event at the Elizabeth Bruyere Hospital and looked for a decent restaurant nearby for an early dinner. We found Das Lokal on TripAdvisor and were not disappointed. Our window of time was only an hour and thus could not stay for either dessert or coffee so cannot attest to their quality. However, our meal fully met our expectation. All three of us ordered the cheese and bacon soup which was tasty and satisfying. Although tempted by braised rabbit and other appealing menu items we opted for the fish duo which combined Arctic char and shrimp. My wife and daughter shared theirs, I had a full serving. It was both very good and reasonably priced. We look forward to returning and, with more time, sampling other enticing menu selections.

2  Thank Ottawans
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Yesterday we enjoyed a great brunch! A couple of had the Das Benny, an updated version of the classic. I had it with avocado and it was delicious. All four of us enjoyed our meals and the full bodied coffee. Even though it was busy, it had a comfortable atmosphere and the service was quick, friendly and attentive. We will definitely go back the next time we are in town!

4  Thank 63JoanneRR
Reviewed 17 November 2017

The location and atmosphere is nice, the restaurant is comfortable, and while the food is good, it is not inspiring - meaning I have had better and I have had worse,
I was there for dinner in September and I sat outside. I had their daily soup - cream of something or other, and the flat iron steak. I also had a cocktail and a glass of wine. The server helped me select the cocktail and the wine, both very good. While the food was good, I somehow expected to be "wowed" I wasn't, but I am going to try them again and have different dishes.

2  Thank Rosaliegh