“Disappointing would be a com;iment”

No photo provided
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Byward Market Area
Cross street: Albert
Reviewed 28 November 2015

This visit to the restaurant was at best disappointing if not worse.

I had arrived by myself and was greeted by a young and very immature hostess who asked "How are we this evening?" When I told her that I was by myself she seemed incapable of processing her error.

The meal and the service was anything but acceptable at the price point. Once I was joined by my wife we were presented with a bread basket and at no time did the server (Pascal) or is assistant ask if we would like it refilled.

To be fair the firs course, (mushroom soup) was very good.

Our main courses took an unacceptable tie to be presented and when they were presented both were cold. To exacerbate, at no time did the server (Pascal) ask as if the main courses were satisfactory. If he had, both would have been sent back.

To add insult to injury, when he bill was presented it was incorrect,and when shown the error Pascal tried to make an explanation that was simply stupid. He then took the original bill away crushing it in his hand in front of his customers. He then took no less than twenty minutes to deliver a new bill and hen when after waiting we went to one of the bar tenders to try and pay.

All in all an experience worth forgetting.

1  Thank Stuball1

Reviewed 3 September 2015

I brought a group of colleagues there for lunch. Everyone enjoyed their lunch immensely. The servers were excellent to add chairs when we had unexpected colleagues walk in. The patio in summer/fall is spectacular and the food really was excellent. There was not a complaint in our entire group of 8. I travel to Ottawa often and this truly is my favourite place. Bien fait!

Reviewed 2 August 2015

Went with a friend for lunch. We did have a reservation for the patio.
Our table was waiting & we had a lovely view of the canal.
My friend had the Cobb Salad & was very happy with the meal.
I ordered the Muscles & they were wonderful! Served in a white wine & buttery sauce in a huge bucket. There was so much that I took home leftovers.
For dessert my friend LOVED the Creme Brulee... I was torn between the Chocolate Mousse & the Strawberry Short Cake... Keeping in mind that I am NOT a chocolate person, but the Mousse talked about hazelnut & cream...
So I asked the waiter & without skipping a beat he said the Chocolate Mousse.
It was very chocolaty & I'm sure if I was a chocolate person I would have loved it... But next time I'll try the Short Cake!

Reviewed 29 July 2015 via mobile

The Café at the National Arts Centre has been a favourite for thirty years - until yesterday evening. I have been very understanding of the occasional meal that's off the mark...others have exceeded expectation...that's not the problem. We did not eat there yesterday. After looking at the menu and finding the prices outrageous...we left. The waitress was not surprised...evidently we were not the first. It had been a surprise to find the outdoor terrace half full on a deliciously hot summer evening. If you have not been, the terrace has a view of the Rideau Canal at one of its most picturesque points. It soon became obvious why it was empty . If they return to their senses...it will be a great place again. Here's hoping. Meanwhile...too bad.

Reviewed 25 July 2015

I live in Ottawa. I brought my two guests from California to the Cafe of the National Arts Centre. The Cafe borders on the RIdeau Canal, and seems a pleasant place to have lunch. We showed up without a reservation, although there were plenty of tables available. A waiter requested that we stand by the hostess' podium and wait to be assigned a table. We waited. One of my guests had enough time to excuse himself and take an extended break in the rest rooms and return. Still no hostess. She finally showed up, and her pained demeanor and facial expression conveyed to us how much she hated her job, and how she felt she was doing us a favor by finding a table for us. She led us to a corner of the restaurant where she told us a waiter would be with us shortly, she fiddled around with some napkins behind a counter, and left. We're still not seated.

Finally we get a table, and after five minutes or so, a waiter comes and takes our order. One of my guests and I both order a smoked chicken omelette. The meal took at least half an hour if not more, to get to us, during which time we were basically ignored -- except for a brief visit by the waiter to tell us that the omelettes were taking time because they were very thick and fluffy. They'll be here in ten minutes.When they arrived, twenty minutes later, they had all the appearance of a slice of quiche with a salad. I don't know where the "thick and fluffy" disappeared. The baked surface was tough; the chicken inside was equally tough. All the wait staff looked as if they had better things to do than to serve customers. They shuffled around, trying to look busy and chatted with each other by the cash register.

I am not impressed and would not recommend this restaurant. The location is wonderful, but the service and the food are its failure. Sad to say, the National Arts Centre deserves better.