“on the smancy side”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Byward Market Area
Cross street: Albert
Reviewed 21 April 2016

Unless you know about the café, you wouldn't know about the café...The restaurant is in the back lower part of the National Arts Centre on the Canal. Most that go here are taking in a show in the NAC. The food is very good and a bit on the pricey side (although there are more expensive places not far away). Given it's locale and food quality it is a good and reasonably priced venue. There menu is seasonal - so difficult to say if you would like it, but I have never been disappointed.

1  Thank Dre0303

Reviewed 11 February 2016

We were eating before a performance and so the NAC Cafe made sense. Reception was well done. Service was polite and timely. Food was excellent.
To be picky, the restaurant felt too crowded - tables too close together. Granted it was winter and there was no terrace available. And no doubt they try and provide for as many diners as possible. But...
And the one very jarring (and totally unnecessary) note was the bottle of sparkling water on the table with a price tag attached!! Just like in a hotel room! I mean REALLY??

Reviewed 28 November 2015

This visit to the restaurant was at best disappointing if not worse.

I had arrived by myself and was greeted by a young and very immature hostess who asked "How are we this evening?" When I told her that I was by myself she seemed incapable of processing her error.

The meal and the service was anything but acceptable at the price point. Once I was joined by my wife we were presented with a bread basket and at no time did the server (Pascal) or is assistant ask if we would like it refilled.

To be fair the firs course, (mushroom soup) was very good.

Our main courses took an unacceptable tie to be presented and when they were presented both were cold. To exacerbate, at no time did the server (Pascal) ask as if the main courses were satisfactory. If he had, both would have been sent back.

To add insult to injury, when he bill was presented it was incorrect,and when shown the error Pascal tried to make an explanation that was simply stupid. He then took the original bill away crushing it in his hand in front of his customers. He then took no less than twenty minutes to deliver a new bill and hen when after waiting we went to one of the bar tenders to try and pay.

All in all an experience worth forgetting.

1  Thank Stuball1
Reviewed 3 September 2015

I brought a group of colleagues there for lunch. Everyone enjoyed their lunch immensely. The servers were excellent to add chairs when we had unexpected colleagues walk in. The patio in summer/fall is spectacular and the food really was excellent. There was not a complaint in our entire group of 8. I travel to Ottawa often and this truly is my favourite place. Bien fait!

Reviewed 2 August 2015

Went with a friend for lunch. We did have a reservation for the patio.
Our table was waiting & we had a lovely view of the canal.
My friend had the Cobb Salad & was very happy with the meal.
I ordered the Muscles & they were wonderful! Served in a white wine & buttery sauce in a huge bucket. There was so much that I took home leftovers.
For dessert my friend LOVED the Creme Brulee... I was torn between the Chocolate Mousse & the Strawberry Short Cake... Keeping in mind that I am NOT a chocolate person, but the Mousse talked about hazelnut & cream...
So I asked the waiter & without skipping a beat he said the Chocolate Mousse.
It was very chocolaty & I'm sure if I was a chocolate person I would have loved it... But next time I'll try the Short Cake!