“Mixed review...but worth the trip”

Crystal Beach Gateway
Ranked #14 of 30 Restaurants in Ridgeway
Reviewed 30 May 2018

I had a craving for a milk shake and could not think of where to get one...as I was driving home I remembered that the old "backety back" had great shakes maybe the new place does too. I headed over and met Adele one of the managers...we had a nice little chat as she prepared my chocolate shake. I told her that I had not been in the new place as the reviews were not very good. She indicated that it had gotten better and maybe I should try it.I told her I would and drove away with my delicious shake.

Well I ended up dinner-less the next day and decided to go and try one of "the best burgers around". I, along with two friends, had dinner and the reviews are mixed. The falafel in a pita is so big it is a meal for two and very tasty. I had the greek burger and the other person had a cheeseburger. We decided to go all out and order onion rings and fries with that.

The burger was ok. not the best I have ever had as I prefer homemade patties to the frozen ones. That being said my burger was tasty and cooked to perfection. The fries were delicious, crispy and hot. The onion rings were a little over cooked and looked burnt, although they did not taste burnt. We weren't sure if the batter had a spice (paprika?) in it that made it darker. They still tasted good. But the colour was off putting. The cheeseburger was ordered as "burnt" but these burgers are so juicy I do not think it possible to burn them...the server and Adele attempted to get the cook as the customer wanted it but were not able to do so...this was not their fault but was rather the fault of a picky eater...and they did everything they could to satisfy this person...they did not charge her and gave her a delicious chocolate milkshake on the house.

So at the end of the day not the best burger I ever had, certainly not the worst...falafel was a huge hit and the rest was pretty good. The customer service excellant!

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

You know it's bad when the bun is the best part. Thought I'd try the Gateway since it reinvented itself. Menu said the burger was a special chef blend. I guess that means taking a bear paw patty out of the freezer! Fries, as I was told, weren't fresh cut, but were soggy not crispy. Burger was greasy and kept sliding out of the bun. I don't understand how a place supposedly known for its burgers gets away with this. Either people don't have any taste buds or just don't care. I also don't understand why this area can't have a great burger and fries place that makes real burgers and real fries at reasonable prices. Think of Webers burgers that people line up for! Well, maybe next time they reinvent themselves. ..

1  Thank Howie L
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

What a hidden gem we found. My wife and I stopped in for dinner, from the friendly hello has you enter, to one of the best burgers we have ever had, hands down!!!!!

Jane was very friendly informing us about what's on the menu, I haven't had good burger in awhile ( Godmother Burger with crispy onions rings on the side, add it to the burger is what i had ;) couldn't finish it. Everything on the menu is all priced right, we look fwd to coming back in trying something else on the menu.

You better be hungry if not you will be bringing a take home dish guaranteed !!!

HOOTS

Reviewed 28 September 2017

Best falafel I've ever had. Take the menu's recommendation and go for the works! Portion is large! Server was so friendly!

2  Thank Carrie M
Reviewed 8 September 2017

A very charming restaurant, we had breakfast and it was exactly the way we ordered.
The waitress was very friendly

1  Thank Ellie H