Shoreline Motor Hotel
Good 3.5/5
US$106
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
Thunder Bay Inn(Thunder Bay)
US$86
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Regardless of whether or not this is your last choice, avoid this place at all cost! I left with bed bug bites all over my body. Also, the towels were dusty, the shower in 505 were moldy. And overall, the place was just DIRTY!

Stayed: August 2017
4  Thank Run R
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I was in the lobby waiting for my wife to use the washroom before we had our usual 3 - 4 times a week breakfast in the motels restaurant. When I was approached by the maintenance man and told the place wasn't a waiting room and told to leave. I waited outside in the freezing cold for my wife and left.I will never use the services at this motel or restaurant again.

And then
I phoned to get the email address and the owners name and the white ,grey haired lady gave me attitude and wouldn't give me the proper info i needed to made a complaint.

very poor service. I'll never bring any of my family there again and I sudjest highly to my friends not to go there. I stayed there a year ago, the taps wouldn't stop running. the locks didn't work and the carpets were very dirty and smelly. I definetly don't believe the rating system on this motel, it needs to be up dated cause this is the worst motel I've ever seen in my 43 years of being a paying respected customer to restaurants and motels. Thank you

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jeffrey M
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is the first time I have ever written a bad review of anywhere we have been. I grew up with the understanding that if you can't say something good, say nothing at all.....however, since we stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago, I feel compelled to warn others off this place. it is probably the worst we have ever stayed in.

We ended up here when we arrived in Thunder Bay late afternoon without pre-booking and everywhere else was full. We had a choice to either stay or drive back from where we came, so decided to accept our lot and make the best of it.

For a start, the place was filthy with the lobby floors disgusting and the glass in the entrance doors cloudy and scummy. The front desk clerk sadly looked very emaciated and ill and while no offence intended to him personally it made us feel uncomfortable and ill at ease. The whole atmosphere was just wrong. Our rooms were not much better. Our travelling companions room was worse than ours with a large bleached stain on the carpet just inside the door and what appeared to be blood stain down the side of the bed. There was no hot water and after prepaying we were actually expected to pay a room key deposit of $20 per room in addition.

From our balcony we could see what appeared to be 'dealings' going on in the parking lot and a drunk by the road edge holding a brown paper bag. Sorry to say, but the whole place felt like a cess-pit. We did not sleep all night and our experience here pretty much spoiled our visit to the city and scarred the memory of our trip.

Advice is book ahead, don't get caught out like we did and avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank SueBillB
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed here to save money because it is one of the cheapest places in town. We found the staff friendly and helpful. The place needs a makeover but we had a room on the fifth floor and it was fairly clean and quiet and had a great view of the lake. The restaurant looks dicey but the food is pretty good and a fairly good value. The bar is okay and seemed to be full of local regulars, always a good sign.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank hungrybears
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Dump city. As others have indicated it would be best avoided. Our room was pretty dirty, the carpet stained and the bed covers very ratty but not badly discoloured. The security was suspect since the previous unfortunate who stayed in the room absconded with the key. Perhaps the individual wished to save others from the ordeal he or she experienced. However we considered the possibility that the possessor of the key might return to rob new dwellers in the room.
As a result of this concern we built a pile of bags next to the door with our small cooler on top to alert us if we were being robbed. In addition my wife slept with a hammer (used for tent pegs) for defence at her side. Although the halls were stinky and the other hotel denizens boisterous and apparently inebriated at 2 AM, the symphony the toilet played upon flushing almost compensated for the ambience. On a more positive note the afternoon desk clerk, a paean to despair, was friendly but ineffective. The bars on the window were slightly comforting but we wonder as to their purpose; keep us in or others out. I count myself lucky that the pointy spring on the bed only worked its way through the mattress cover and not my leg.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple