“A must visit!”
Review of Museum of Inuit Art - CLOSED

Museum of Inuit Art
More attraction details
Owner description: Canada’s only public museum south of the Arctic devoted exclusively to Inuit art and culture. Explore over 600 works of art, including sculpture in stone, antler, ivory and bone, innovative prints, drawings, ceramics and textile art from our permanent collection and on loan from first-class collections across Canada. The Museum of Inuit Art is located inside the Queen’s Quay Terminal Building at Toronto’s Harbourfront. Open Monday-Sunday 10 AM to 6 PM.
Reviewed 31 March 2015

This small gem is hidden away in the Queen's Quay Terminal, which in itself is a pleasant place to hang out (my companion and I had a quite decent dim sum lunch while looking out over frozen Lake Ontario and watching the planes take off from Billy Bishop Airport). The museum concentrates on Inuit sculpture, although when I was there they also had some Cape Dorset prints on display. The collection is just the right size... not too overwhelming but enough to satisfy. While there, do check out the gift shop, which has some lovely items for sale. The very knowledgeable gift shop assistant was an added bonus.

Reviewed 17 March 2015

Although the museum is small, it packs a nice punch. They have an extensive collection with many parts changing periodically. This time they had a section of pottery by the Inuit. This was an eye-opener since I never realized they also did pottery. There was a special table setup for March break with somebody showing the different types of materials used. They were very interesting to talk to. The store also has fabulous merchandise.

Reviewed 4 November 2014

We went into the mall to do some shopping, and discovered this small museum. It costs only $3 to go in, and it is a gallery of mostly modern Inuit art which was brilliant. I just loved some of the sculptures, they were all unique and some are very beautiful.

We brought home a little glass figure, but I could have bought far more in the shop had I not been facing an international flight.

If you are in this part of Toronto, do visit. We were the only ones there, which was such a shame, but if you did not know the museum was there, you would never see it from outside, so it does need better signage.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our second visit to the museum, this time with my sister-in-law. This is a first-class museum of Inuit art. The gift shop is impressive and proceeds go to the cooperatives that exhibit and to maintaining the museum.

1  Thank angten
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Museum of Inuit Art features a small but beautiful collection of inuit art. It was a little hard to find whilst in the area and once I did, the doors were locked. I had to wait 15 minutes and come back where I was met with a friendly but shy staff member.

It doesn't take long to explore the artwork, even when taking the time to read and interpret each piece - it is filled with some fantastic artwork though!

Being an international visitor, I was perhaps hoping to gain a little more knowledge about the inuit people as I knew virtually nothing about them. While the museum featured a diverse range of inuit art, I don't feel I learnt enough about their way of life/history which I was hoping to learn from their art.

2  Thank RowMac