“Much better than expected”
Review of Chicago Eatery

Chicago Eatery
Ranked #4,027 of 9,166 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighbourhood: East York
Neighbourhood: East York
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Our family ( 2 kids, 2 adults) went for dinner last night. I had passed by it on my way home & was interested. I like to try bbq places. I looked it up and saw it 4.5 stars. When you walk in the door there is a definite retro feeling. The place was clean and neatly arranged. I don't particularly like ribs that fall off the bone. These ribs were baby back, meaty and firm. The sauce and glaze were very tasty. The fries were freshly cut and delicious. My wife had the Bison burger which she said was very good. The kids had the cheeseburger which they enjoyed. The burgers were served on Ciabatta bun. Everything was served hot. The only disappointment for me was the cole slaw which I thought was too creamy. That won't stop me from coming back. And the service was timely and efficient.

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

This little place on Pape Ave a few kilometres north of the Danforth one block south of Mortimer Ave caught my eye and we went in. My guest was told it wasn't very good but it was close to where we were so we went in anyways.

Upon arriving, we were surprised by the cleanliness of the dining area, the choices of colours that were selected and the lack of patrons. Maybe what my guest heard held true. Primarily the decor's red and black with a splash of blue highlighted accent lights that's go easy on the eyes. It gave this place real casual modern look with a hint of nostalgia. They also have a large outdoor patio for those warm days.

Being a lover of BBQ and always wanting to order something such as a a Sampler meal that showcased the meat that was smoked, I was disappointed that there wasn't such a thing on the menu. Everything I wanted to try could be ordered separately though.

We were waited by I assume the owner. He was polite and friendly. I expressed my discontent with not having a sampler on the menu and was told that he could put this and that together and make a Sampler dish for me. So received a portion of Baby Back Ribs, a portion of Pulled Pork and a portion of Beer Braised Smoked Brisket. So I was in heaven. My guest ordered their Peppercorn Chicago Steak. Both meals came with a choice of one side so we both chose a green salad.
Their steaks are 21 Day aged striploin that are grill to your liking. It was complimented with mushroom, onion and au jus.

The Ribs, Pork and Brisket were delicious. Very good if I must say. I know good BBQ. The helpings were decent too. I had a hard time eating it all. It could have easily fed two. My guest loved his steak fir as it was grilled to perfection.

So all in all our visit was a surprise. We both were pleased with what we ordered and what we received. The bill was a bit on the hefty side but we had a lot of food and customizing my meal perhaps could have upped the cost. But I thought it was worth it. The Chicago Eatery is amongst the best smoke houses in the city and I would recommend it to everyone. The menu's extensive and perhaps something could be customized for you. So it goes to show you, don't listen to all of the critics out there. We didn't and were very pleased.

I'll be back!!