2,961 results
All reviews dundas square imperial pub great location rooms are small budget hotel central location street noise front desk staff subway station hotel room underground parking room key heart of downtown cn tower coffee maker zia eaton
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed here from june 18th to june 27th 2011.We had booked the room for the 17th june but due to family emergency, we had to come the day after.I asked to seee if i could get a refund for the night of the 17th but was told i could get no refund.
I have to admit that i when i first arrived at hotel i wasnt too pleased with it at first due to getting no refund and also the outside of hotel did not look too inviting.The hotel is being renovated.On the outside of building its covered with tape due to renovations.However, when i reached room i was happpy with it - the beds are very comfy,there is a coffee making machine,a large flatscreen tv,and air con in room.The room was nice and bright.The bathroom was nice and bright also with lots of space to leave your stuff.
The hotel is located in an ideal location in Toronto - directly just behind Dundas square.There is a foodcourt opposite the Square where i went to eat luncj or dinner sometimes and its nice and cheap.I found eating out in Toronto's restaurantsat the start of holiday expensive so foodcourt was perfect.There was one nice Asian restaurant that had lovely food and wasnt too expensive called Spring rolls - www.springrolls.ca
The one thing that i found very annoying about the hotel though was the elevator.Even though there were three elevators you had to wait ages for your elevator.It seemed that only one elevator was being used and it seemed to stop at nearly every floor/
Overall i liked this hotel and wolud come back again

1  Thank galwayhooker1
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Many other reviewers have complained that the rooms are small. It is true they are small, but they are cleverly designed so that they are comfortable and have everything you need. I was very happy with the room and recommend staying at this hotel.

We stayed in a twin room on the 5th floor for three days. We found the room attractive, clean, and easy to use. There was a coffee kit (we didn't use it), a small fridge (we used it every day), a small standing wardrobe, and a folding luggage stand. There was no dresser, but we didn't miss it. The desk was a built-in shelf that ran the width of the room under the windows, and was convenient for our laptop and as an extended night table. The floors are laminate, which I expected to be noisy, but they weren't. The windows ran the width of the room, letting in lots of light, and had both sheers and block-out drapes. The AC unit was new, with a digital thermostat on the wall. The bed linens were new and comfortable, though the mattresses are quite hard.

There were several electrical outlets around the room, giving us plenty of options for charging our gadgets. I hate paying for Internet at a hotel, but we did buy 48 hours of service at the Bond. It was easy to connect to and we could use it on multiple devices at once, so I can't complain. For those who only want a quick check of email or maps, there are a couple computers in the lobby to use.

The bathroom was also small, but newly refurbished and stylish. Because of the narrow vanity space, they built a shelf/cabinet at one side of the sink, which offered a lot more space. The shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The toilet flushed very loudly. The fan failed to remove any steam from the air. The door was a sliding door, which was excellent for making the small space more useable, but as others have commented, this allowed more bathroom noise to be heard in the room. It didn't bother us, and I didn't find the bathroom noise any worse than any other hotel I've been in. The towels were a little rough and they were stingy with the supply: one washcloth, one hand towel, and two bath towels per day. We were supplied with small bar soaps, shampoo and hand cream, which were good quality and pleasantly scented.

Housekeeping honored our Do Not Disturb card, but still serviced the room every day even though we didn't leave til noon each day. Besides making the beds and cleaning the bath, our things were straightened up and our luggage was not disturbed.

Street noise was an issue for me, though it didn't bother my husband. Yonge-Dundas Square is only a block away, and the bars and restaurants around it are open until 11pm. The pubs serve until 2am, including the Imperial just across the street. Traffic noises--trucks and street cars--continued until about midnight, and drunken revelers laughed and sang til well after 2am. It was not that bad, though, and simple ear plugs would have solved the problem. I usually travel with some, but forgot them this time.

The neighborhood is typically urban. Yonge-Dundas Square and its surrounding shops a block away are bright and new. We ate in the YD food court most mornings and caught the subway there, too. Neighboring streets are a little shabbier, but I never felt unsafe or afraid. We went to a convenience store most nights around 11 or 12 to buy sodas and had no troubles, other than the ubiquitous panhandlers.

I wasn't impressed with the front desk staff, but they were adequate. Our first night we arrived after 11pm, and we were starving. The front desk directed us to the late-night Subway or Pizza Pizza shops nearby. We had Pizza Pizza, which was very disappointing. I wish we'd been told there were two all-night breakfast diners nearby. They would have been much better choices. On our second day we asked for more towels and pillows in our room as we left for the day. We never got them. On our last day we asked them to hold our luggage several hours until we caught the airport shuttle in the afternoon. They did so happily, giving us a claim check.

The hotel has a little cafe/coffeeshop in the lobby that we didn't try. After visiting the food court, I can say the cafe's prices were decent.

The hallways are a little dim and claustrophobic. I could see they had been updated to the new décor, but the carpets on our floor were already stained and dirty. The room doors had been painted, but were obviously old. The insides of the rooms are much nicer than the hallways make you expect.

Overall, very pleased. The price was a bit high for my budget, but was very good for the heart of downtown. I didn’t find anything else even close to the same price in that neighborhood that was anywhere near the same quality. You can certainly stay cheaper in the ‘burbs or near the airport, but for downtown, it was great.

Room Tip: Facing Dundas more light but also more noise
1  Thank KimberlyAtlantaGA
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My husband and I and his parents stayed here on June 18, 2011. We had a very nice experience. Based on others' reviews and warnings, I requested a room away from construction (although they said it was over, which did appear to be the case once we got there) and on a higher floor to minimize street noise. We ended up on 17 and had lovely city views and a totally acceptable noise level.

Yes, the rooms are a little small, but that didn't bother any of us. After all, you're in the middle of a city. They're clean, modern, interestingly designed, have cool lighting, and still offer classic amenities like a fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, flat-screen TV, etc. I appreciated the wood floors, as carpet always seems so dirty.

Another reviewer said this hotel is in a bad area. This is not at all true. Not only is it close to streetcars and the Dundas subway stop, the neighborhood is actually very touristy with a lot of activity. It's close to Eaton Centre, the Financial District, a big H&M, an AMC movie theatre, etc. Wireless isn't free, but the espresso bar in the lobby turned out great coffee.

One minor complaint is that there is nowhere to hang towels. Not even one hook, and the showers don't have shower curtain rods, so you can't drape them over that, either. Seems a strange oversight for bathroom design. Certainly not a reason to avoid this hotel, more a note to management in case they happen to be reading!

We got a great deal using the early bird online special, which gave us a lower rate but you pay immediately and it's totally non-refundable, which was no problem in our case. Parking was $15 in a nearby underground lot.

I'd definitely return to this hotel!

Room Tip: Request high floor for good views and quiet.
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Really good location if, like me, you're in Toronto as a tourist. It's right next to Dundas Square in the heart of Toronto, which is where all the city tour buses leave from. There are quite a few restaurants and bars (e.g. Hard Rock cafe), and the square itself seems to have live events taking place regularly.
The hotel was modern, comfortable, and reasonably priced. Happy to have chosen it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank faceInTheCrowd
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This hotel is just off Dundas and Young square, amazing location, not far to walk to anywhere. 5 minutes to the Eaton Centre (where i was in quite alot.). No great views out of the window, mine was a car park, but your not really there for the view out of your hotel window. Rooms were very clean, everything we needed, very friendly staff. Had a few issue with the electricity going off but they sorted it very quickly. Maid cleaned every day. Nice plasma TV in room. Was a very busy hotel. They were going through a refurbishment when we were there but there wasn't too much disruption. They have a cafe which was basic but nice. Very nicely decorated hotel, very modern. I would go back to this hotel if i ever go back to Toronto.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends