“Great place!”

Ranked #2,102 of 9,387 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

This place is fab - the staff are so friendly and the food is fantastic. Try the Mac and cheese with added stilton! Good range of drinks too and reasonably priced. Such a warm atmosphere in here.

Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

On the outside it looks like nothing special, but once you sit down, look at the menu and sip one of their many well chosen beers you know you stumbled into the right place.
The pub has a pleasant atmosphere, the service is first rate and the menu is actually one of the most exciting parts of the experience. It is, to use a technical term, crazy good.
I will return to this pub. That's the best endorsement I can give.

Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Behind an unimpressive, nondescript facade on Yonge Street above Summerhill and inside a grubby-looking pub decor on the main floor lies an opportunity for excellently-prepared dishes and a wide selection of beers. The menu is varied and interesting. Dishes are imaginative and contain many surprises well beyond anything usually available in a neighborhood pub.
My burger (bun deferred) was solid and cooked exactly as ordered. I chose from a selection of toppings: Stilton cheese and caramelized onions. Cheddar cheese and bacon were also offered. I requested salad instead of potatoes and received a huge portion of lovely greens with a light, tangy dressing. My friend ordered the halibut and chips and she could only eat half of the generous serving of fries. She deemed the fish delicious with a consistently crispy batter. The service is friendly and efficient and the servers made us feel they were glad we chose to eat here. Unfortunately this is not always the case in many Toronto restaurants. The only thing we had to ask for was the bill. We didn't order desserts but if they are as interesting as the entrees they must be good. It seems that it is a neighborhood secret that I discovered by chance on a walk-by and was attracted by the option of sitting in an open window one nice weather day. Lots of families came in and went to the dining space upstairs while we enjoyed the cosy pub atmosphere downstairs. I have been here about four times and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

My wife and my two lads (14-11) popped in for lunch while in TO. The food was authentic, the beer was cold and the atmosphere is fantastic. I'd like to be there in the evening for pints with my mates!

Reviewed 13 September 2016

The ambiance in this place has changed since its inception… and it’s much better. However, they could put up the lighting a little bit... I’d stayed away, not realizing… and then chanced to give it another go. Perhaps it’s what seems like a stronger feminine presence in management and among servers that makes it more comfortable. Also, food has improved. Apparently, there’s a new fall menu, but the old one was really good. There are so few places to dine alone at proximity to Yonge/St Clair that are fair in price, with fine quality food, and where it’s easy to feel comfortable that, when you find one, it’s worth announcing. Then there’s “substitutions.” More “snooty” places like Terroni’s, a few blocks down, won’t be as accommodating…and it’s a bit of a “scene” there, anyway… Among the fine array of salads at the Monk, you can ask for particular ingredients to be left out… and they’ll gladly top up with more of the rest (no need to ask). Presentation is inviting, and the crisp zucchini fries in light batter, which are piping hot, make an excellent side dish.