“Darn Good BBQ!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighbourhood: East End
Neighbourhood: East End
Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

Awesome brisket sandwich with salad for me - portion was sized very nicely. My partner had a e-learning dinner with brisket and ribs - you know its good when a man has the meat-sweats! He couldn't finish his ribs and we ended up taking a doggie bag
Aft does not take reservations. We were there with a party of 7 and luckily got a table after waiting at the bar for about 40 minutes. The staff are very friendly, portions are very generous. I look forward to our next adventure at AFT!

Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

You ever really really really want to like a place but it doesn't measure up? I did with Aft and it didn't.

The portobello fries were great. Nothing BBQ about them but they tasted good.

The brisket was good but the saucy/mayo on the sandwich wasn't. Would have like to have is a a dinner plate option rather than a sandwich.

The sous vide steak sounded good but at the end of the day you just boiled a streak. This shouldn't be on any BBQ joints menu. You just don't do that to a steak.

We did like the hot sauce and peach BBQ sauce. Would have loved to take a bottle of each home.

The lack of sides also causes this joint to drop points. Where's the cornbread, mac n' cheese, beans and collard greens?

Reviewed 20 December 2016

We couldn’t really tell what this intriguing hole in the wall was about at first but it became very clear once we came in and saw all the large plates of ribs and happy faces. BBQ is the raison d’etre of Aft and they do it well and at a reasonable price, with all the usual favourites and meat eater selections. The ribs nearly fall off the bone and are full of smoky flavor. The beers are mostly big brews or big brews pretending to be microbrews but I did have a Wellington and my daughter had a nice un-oaked Chardonnay (from California, I believe). All in, it was under $50, which is pretty good value for Toronto these days.

Reviewed 25 October 2016

Of all the smokehouses in the east end, Aft is for sure the best. Today we came for lunch. I had an awesome brisket sandwich, piled high with perfect, moist meat. Decent fries. Drinks and pints at lunch are on special, so that's always nice. This is a friendly, small place with amazing food.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

After walking by the place so many times over the years, yet having so much trouble remembering where it was once we decided to go, we finally got to Aft Kitchen and Bar on Queen Street East. And about [expletive] time! Inside, the room is small with 4 or so tables with bench seating along the west wall and chairs on the aisle, and tall stools and tables on the opposite eastern wall, and seating along the bar. There is also a patio out back, but we never got that far to be able to comment on it.

The front room, in hindsight, feels and looks like what a BBQ joint in the southern USA should, including the two annoying houseflies that kept exciting the hairs of my right arm, making that reptilian part of my brain wish we were in Texas where I might be free to shoot them. I ordered a draught Boneshaker (Amsterdam) and my date a Pilsner from BC. The Boneshaker, unlike its brothers in bottles, was smooth and mellow, with only a hint of the expected IPA hoppy bitterness. But not cold enough, only cool, so not particularly refreshing on this particular hot and humid southern night. The Pilsner was, well, Pilsner.

I ordered the smoked half-chicken with fries and Cole slaw. The bird was moist and smoky, and the skin highly seasoned and brown. It was excellent. The fries were a bit greasy from the chicken, making them a treat. The coleslaw, sadly, tasted like spoiling cabbage with a trace of Mr. Clean. My date had the pork side ribs - beef back ribs combo and it was amazing. The side ribs were dry and sweet and the back ribs meaty. Neither were greasy or slathered in BBQ sauce but well-seasoned and chewy. Sadly, our coleslaw came from the same mother, and was mostly left alone.

Service at Aft was friendly and informal, as casual as my Mom's kitchen but without the judgment. Not even a slightly raised eyebrow when my date asked for ice in her beer.

Aft offers the best southern hospitality and ribs -- and smoked chicken -- this side of the Don River, and is worth a visit. Remember, if you do visit, there's a bounty on the two houseflies!