“love the lamb”

Ranked #3,148 of 9,080 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighbourhood: Scarborough
Neighbourhood: Scarborough
Reviewed 31 January 2017

First off we ate at the Xin Jiang BBQ but it was the one on Steeles Ave East. We met with family to celebrate Chinese New Years. Our son had eaten here before and liked it so we said "why not!". I had read lots of the reviews which by and large extolled the virtues of the various lamb dishes, so being a lamb lover, I opted for the lamb skewers--and were they tasty--notwithstanding some were far too chewy. Maybe the fact I'd just had an extraction and was sorta gumming the meat. The chicken en pot with pulled noodles also won unanimous raves. The endless pot of tea was most welcome as the food was either rather oily or it was the generous servings of oil saucing on the food. And generally pretty spicy hot too. All-in-all, a great feast but frankly Cantonese is still my favourite type of Chinese food to feast on.

Reviewed 20 April 2016

One of things I miss most about China is the presence of Uyghur Chinese restaurants, which have gained kind of a cult following in the cities of eastern China, at places with names evoking the old trade routes to the Middle East like Silk Road, the province of Xinjiang, or the Uyghur people. While still scattered fairly thinly in cities like Shanghai and Beijing, they are currently downright rare in North America, and this one in the Steeles neighborhood of Scarborough is one of the closer ones to my birthplace in Boston (yes Boston- these Uyghur restaurants are still hard to find).

Got there latish but many hours before closing time on a Tuesday, so no trouble getting a table. Place was a little brightly lit for my taste, but once the food arrived, I didn't care whether it was candlelit or like an interrogation room. Great, cheap lamb skewers; soup; vegetables; I think we even ordered a fish. Food so reasonably priced we ordered too much, and with no place to keep it, sadly left it behind. Beer unimaginative, but the fact that there was any at all at a halal restaurant was a plus. Miss the Xinjiang Black Beer from China...

Staff seemed a bit on the dour side, but they might have just had a bad day.

Reviewed 10 November 2015

Stopped by late evening (10pm-ish) on a Saturday evening after watching a movie when most places were closed.

Had a bit of difficulty finding a parking spot since there's a Banquet Hall inside the same plaza.

Walked into the restaurant and they were packed. Had to wait 5mins or so before they found us a table and cleaned up the previous patrons' mess.

We ordered 4 skewers each of BBQ Beef & Lamb, and Singapore style noodles.

The Beef Skewers came out within 5 mins, and the noodles came out after another 5 mins. But we had to wait about 15mins for the Lamb Skewers, and it was totally worth it.

The Beef was delicious, the noodles were good, but the lamb was out of the world! Yum!

Also helped that the servers spoke decent English.

We devoured the skewers but couldn't finish the noodles and asked to take it home. The server even offered to pack it for us, unlike most Asian places where they hand you a styrofoam box and a plastic carry-bag.

Would definitely come back.