“A bit of pub grin”

Ranked #1,212 of 9,819 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Reviewed 8 September 2016 via mobile

I had walked past The Friar a couple of days ago and went in just because it was close to my hotel. Didn't really know what to expect in terms of the menu and was pleasantly surprised. I ordered shepherd's pie and my colleague a chicken salad. I had a Blackberry Somersby's cider, which like its apple cousin was very refreshing. My colleague had a Bombay G&T which he said was good. I was very happy with the pie, a good size with a side of salted green beans. I'm told the salad was excellent, and it was gone quickly.

Service was friendly and the food arrived in good time. Total check just over $50 including tip. I would recommend if you are in the area.

Date of visit: September 2016

Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

Popped in the Friar and Firkin for a quiet drink and nibbles, we bought the fully loaded nachos which were excellent, something that I would recommend.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

Came here a few times, liked the references to the British boozer and the U.K. as a whole. Good atmosphere, a few British classics like Fish and Chips, etc... Friendly staff behind the bar although needed to waiting a while to grab the bar tenders attention. Enjoyed the beers and the food was pretty decent also. But it's not near what a British pub is all about. Will still drop in if back in Toronto soon.

Date of visit: September 2015
1  Thank ShropshireLad85
Reviewed 21 July 2016

Stopped in at this pleasant pub and had a wonderful experience. The food was great, hot and plentiful. The staff were very pleasant. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a lovely time and will for sure be going back there. 4 people with drinks and desserts was just over $100. I loved the mural of John Cleese doing the Ministry of Silly Walks on the back wall. Would like to give a shout out to our server, Erin who really made a nice time for us and to the wonderful chef who made you feel as if everything he had prepared was very special. Yea, nice place.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank phoenixwatcher1
Reviewed 6 July 2016

Restaurant was fairly empty at 7:30 pm on a Friday. Only 3 or 4 other tables were full. Server was great, food was good not great. The spicy chorizo mac and cheese wasn't fantastic-the chorizo itself wasn't spicy but the jalapeno pepper pieces were. Beer selection was decent and good.

Date of visit: July 2016