“Best Jamaican Jerk Chicken”
Review of Under the Table

Under the Table
Ranked #360 of 9,690 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

A friend highly recommended Under The Table saying they have one of the best Jamaican Jerk Chicken & Oxtail Stew at a reasonable price. Then I checked Yelp and found glowing positive reviews from fellow Yelpers so this really piqued my curiosity to check this place out as people are giving 4 and 5 stars.

And boy we're glad we did coz by far this is one of the best jerk chicken and oxtail stew in downtown Toronto! We tried Rasta Pasta and it doesn't even come close to the deliciousness that Under the Table offers.

Located in the heart of Cabbagetown, it's hidden below street level and a hole in the wall. The place is also dark and dated but don't let that stop you from coming and checking inside the restaurant. The owners and the staff are the most friendliest bunch we've ever encountered. Service is also 5 star, you know everyone who works here love what they're doing by how well they treat their customers.

And the food, OMG, the food here are heavenly! The Jerk Chicken is so addictive - it's smoky, moist, sweet and spicy. It's not the normal jerk chicken leg you find in other restaurants. The dish comes with bite sized jerk chicken, rice and peas, salad and a delicious coleslaw. The oxtail is also fall of the bone tenderness - a satisfying stew perfect for a chilly day. They also give you homemade hot sauce which is amazingly good and spicy.

And the best part, the prices are so reasonable. Can't wait to come back and try other dishes from their menu.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

Amazing place with an amazing food. Their French Fries are the best I have had in my whole life and love the hospitality extended by the staff. We tried out Jerk chicken pasta and chicken avocado grilled sandwich, it was just out of the world. It is like a home away from home ambiance and everything was just superb

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

My two friends and I were in Toronto for a quick weekend getaway and were looking for a quality meal without a hefty price tag.

I yelped different types of food in the area and came across this little piece of heaven!

We arrived by UBER and were a bit taken aback ( I must admit, I didn’t look at very many pictures) as we didn’t expect it to be a “hole in the wall”, type of restaurant. We entered and were promptly greeted with a smile and given a table to sit at. Shortly after sitting down we were entertained by a local man who frequents the establishment. He was a lively character bursting with energy and humor.

We checked out the menu and I was slightly disappointed that I didn’t see any of the dishes that I associate with Jamaican food - curry chicken/goat and/or pepper steak. Not to worry though, a fan favorite, oxtails, were on the menu.

Every time that I’ve had oxtails I had more fat than meat, so I was a bit skeptical ordering them, but I am so glad that I did! They were absolutely delicious and the meat came right off of the bone and with very little fat attached. The accompanying salad and rice and peas all made for a very tasty meal at an unbeatable price.

My friends and I were there for a limited time and opted to take a few rounds of shots (shots, shots, shot, shots...everybody, lol). The woman who primarily helped us was awesome. She made sure that we weren’t going to be driving and even dedicated a song to us, Keri Hilson’s “Pretty Girl Rock”.

We had a wonderful evening at “Under the Table” and an incredible meal.

Our experience and the obvious ratings remind me that often times a “hole in the wall” is the way to go for authentic food, great service and a good time.

Much thanks to the owner and staff at Under the Table!

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

This hidden jewel has some great brunch dishes and drinks. The jerk chicken and waffles is must try. Those waffles are perfectly cooked and the maple bacon was a perfect compliment too it.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Did someone say chicken and waffles...or is that someone whispering to me Under The Table....

While visiting Canada I found this cute little place on Yelp. I found parking outside but I wasn't sure if I understood the parking signs correctly. I ran in the restaurant asking Andrea, the lady who worked there if she could help me. Andrea helped me figure it out and then sat us down to eat!

There were so many choices on the menu and I wanted them all. They had regular chicken and waffles, chicken and waffles with berries (Itanni), and even jerk chicken and waffles. They had lots of breakfast, my favorite and lots of choices. I wanted to try the jerk chicken but I thought it might've been too spicy for my mom. So instead we got the Itanni which was fried chicken, waffles with maple triple berries sauce. It was sooooo good! It was a perfect size to share since I also ordered a breakfast plate.

My breakfast plate had egg whites, bacon, potatoes, and butter bread. She told me the butter bread is just like white bread... But they must have buttered it to perfection because I could've eaten a pile of it. Great cheat meal! Everything thing I tasted was delicious.

I also thought it was cute that they had old-school hip-hop playing in the background. Maybe 90's R&B. What else can you asked for when you have great customer service, bomb food and good prices?!

I definitely wish I could have come here a few times on my trip to Canada! I know they have more delicious dishes Under The Table! One of my favorite meals on my trip!