“Iffy and leaves you uneasy leaving things in car”
Review of Hotel Newstar

Hotel Newstar
Ranked #143 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Traveled to Montreal from the USA in order to board cruise ship next day. The rooms are ok and was clean from what I could tell. The outside and hallways was not so nice and left me concerned that my travel bags in van would be gone next day. I think they rent for long term and nightly.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 July 2017

When we got to the hotel there was a guest arguing with the reception staff. Next, we got keys for a room someone was already occupying and had to go back and get keys for the right room. The next day, we our keys stopped working so we had to go get that fixed. When doing so, there was a really long line of people waiting to complain. It is in a bad part of town and far from downtown. Definitely do not recommend and would not stay again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

Worst customers service. Garbage overflowing with alcohol bottles and other "stuff". It looks like a portion of the building is used for low income housing, with sheets on the windows. Ask about baggage storage in (French and English) and was told we can leave it in the hallway. Druggies and prossies... we just left....

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2017

Hi I had to stay in Montreal randomly for one night and so I booked the room two nights before, via the website for the hotel (thinking that would be the most legitimate way to do it) at the end of the reservation on the site had entered all of my credit card data, my name, email etc and got a reservation number and the site said print this out when you go. I have stayed at many hotels and I knew that the reservation number is all you need but i printed it out anyways. When I got to the hotel the person at the front desk asked me what website I used to book the hotel I said the site for the hotel she said ok that is linked into expedia so you have to call them because your not in the system, I said but I have a reservation number she said that didn't mean anything and then asked me again if I booked the right date when the information was right in front of her! So She set me aside and I called expedia but they were doing a system reboot so they were not taking calls for the next 2 hours so stranded and unsure weather or not my credit card was being charged I left angry and When to the days inn down the road IT IS MUCH BETTER!!!!!! And I have been on hold with my credit card company for the last 3 hours to ensure that that horrible hotel doesnt charge me becuase of thier incompetence.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Sally M
Jean T, Manager at Hotel Newstar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2017

I am sorry to read that your experience with our property was not at all satisfactory but it is appreciated that you took the time to right a review. We will be sure to share your point of view with our personnel in order to improve our product in the future.

Reviewed 20 October 2016

The place has been around awhile. The modernized the reception area to look not bad but when you go into the rooms they look like they haven't even cleaned in 40 years. Doesn't this place have a cleaning staff? I've never seen anything so disgusting in my life. No working WiFi. Television what a joke, you can't see anything at all and it's all French. Don't ask for anything to be fixed because they tell you no one is available. And they front desk people are very rude and ignorant. I've never see anyplace as dirty as this place. DISGUSTING! GO ELSEWHERE.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.