“Really disappointed for the price!”

Novotel Montreal Center
Ranked #36 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Reserved an Executive King. The room was filthy. Had no bathtub, the paint was coming off the ceiling in this box of a shower. The room was narrow. Dust everywhere, mini bar was empty with grime and dirt all over it. The end tables by the bed were dusty, the phone etc,etc. we stayed for 10 minutes, called another hotel and left. This hotel is not worth the price they are asking! No convenient parking either! What a dump!

Room Tip: Don't take any room on the ninth floor to the left on the end!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lesliebouchard
xichveho, Director of Sales at Novotel Montreal Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Lesliebouchard
Thank you for choosing our hotel and sharing your opinion about your recent stay.
We are truly sorry you did not like our property and would like to extend our sincere apology for not fulfilling your expectations. We will make sure our head of housekeeping is made aware of the situation so the room can be fixed for other customers.
Kind regards

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stay at this hotel at least 3 or 4 times a year and have done so for about 6 years. I love the location of this hotel and that is what keeps me going here. I can usually get a pretty good price for a one night stay also.
However, my last few stays haven’t been as enjoyable. The renovations in the lobby look awesome……very trendy and bright. Now they need to do some upgrades to the rooms! In my most recent stay in August, we had a room with a view out the back. Not much of a view at all. All of my stays in the past year or so seem to be in the back of the hotel and this is kind of disappointing. But I go to Montreal often so I guess I don’t always have to have a room with a city view. This room definitely needed some work. There were stains all over the carpet outside of the bathroom. Not sure if it was rust or blood or coffee. It was pretty gross though. The bathtub faucet wouldn’t shut off all the way so the water ran all night. It was annoying and a waste of water. I did mention this to the front desk staff the next morning and they said they would look into it so I’m hoping they fixed that. The remote control for the tv didn’t turn the tv off or on so we had to get up off the bed any time we wanted to turn it on or off. Not a huge inconvenience but a bit annoying.
The hotel has a very nice restaurant and patio on the main floor, L’O. We decided to have drinks on the patio after dinner on Crescent Street. We were enjoying ourselves until all of the smokers from the hotel came to sit on the patio to have a smoke. They weren’t eating or drinking on the patio…..just smoking. It totally ruined the enjoyable atmosphere of the patio, especially since I am allergic to smoke. We had to ask to be moved inside the restaurant to finish our drinks because there was a steady stream of hotel guests sitting out there to have a smoke. I think the hotel should not allow smokers to sit on the patio. Especially if they aren’t eating or drinking at the restaurant. The food at the restaurant is quite good and I would definitely recommend the brunch. It is a bit pricey but they have a huge selection and it is all very good. The breads are amazing!
Overall, it used to be a great hotel and now it is just okay. They need to clean up the rooms a bit and find somewhere else for the smokers to smoke! Only so that they don't ruin the ambience on the patio. Beds are super comfy and the staff are generally very helpful. But I think it may be time to find another hotel for my visits to Montreal.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lainie

Dear Lainie,
Thank you for your loyalty, and for sharing your experience at the Novotel Montreal Centre.
You will be pleased to learn that we are planning on renovating the standard rooms within the next few months, so the new rooms will match our new and trendy lobby look.
Should you decide to come back, send me a quick email and I will make sure you get a city view room.
As for the smokers on the terrace, as there is currently no city laws forbidding smoking on terraces, it makes it challenging for us to apply this policy. The actual smokers on the terrace, that particular week-end, were part of a group staying at the hotel, and as such, they could also benefit from the Patio.
However, we truly understand your discomfort the smoke caused you, and sincerely thank you for your collaboration.
We hope to see you again soon, and remain at your disposal if you have other concerns,
Best regards

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I usually stay at the Fairmont however it was largely sold out except for the higher priced rooms out of my budget for a guys weekend in Montreal. I’ve stayed at Novotels before so I had high hopes. Also, travelling as a group I got to see a couple of rooms.

First, what I liked:

Lobby – not huge or extravagant but very clean and the modern style to it did well. For the guys, I know this is silly but as most mens rooms in Montreal look like something out of a slasher film, I was shocked how clean and well setup the lobby mens room was.
Service – Desk clerk was friendly and helpful
Room – Our room was larger than expected and very clean but I would say also very plain. Aside from the size it was nothing special
Location – its towards the western part of Downtown but still close enough that it is a short walk, metro ride, or a cheap cab to most of what you want to see

What I didn’t like and really it’s the only thing was the value. The -price seemed a little high for what I can again say was a very plain room. Also the parking was more than when I stayed at the Fairmont and that was nicer hotel in a slightly better location.

Overall I was happy, but they can improve.

Tips:
The inward facing rooms are larger, so if you like space, try for one of those. The downside is the view is of a small concrete courtyard so not very nice. The outside facing rooms are slightly smaller but have a better view from what I saw.
This hotel would score perfect if they lowered their price (so shop around and wait for a sale if you can) or upgraded the décor of their rooms.

Room Tip: The inward facing rooms are larger, so if you like space, try for one of those. The downside is th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank William C
xichveho, Director of Sales at Novotel Montreal Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear William C,
Thank you for choosing our property during your Montreal stay, and most of all, thank you for your very constructive feedback that have been shared with our team. You will be happy to know that we will be upgrading our standard rooms within the next few months to give it a more modern look.
As for the parking, prices are not decided by the Novotel Montreal Centre, so your comments will be forwarded to Vinci Park, as they managed the parking lot.
Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you again at the Novotel Montreal Centre.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank bobwang

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Very modern hotel (furnishings). Security is top notch, guests must use key card to access the elevator after 6 p.m. which is a plus. Rooms reasonably big, bathroom very nice. Breakfast buffet was ok, a little pricey for what you get but all in all was pleased with our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Nothing to add there
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank irishmom_10

Dear Irishmom_10
Thank you for sharing your Novotel Montreal Centre experience, we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay,
We hope to see you again,
All the best from Montreal,