“Hotel Needs a Refreshment”

Hotels Gouverneur Montreal
Ranked #103 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Travelled for Business, April 2011. Stayed 2 nights.

Pros :
Hotel is in Montreal Downtown.
You can get everywhere you want within a 15 minutes walk.
Prices are cheap compared to other hotels.
Altought the rooms are ugly, they were clean and quiet.

Cons:
Hotel environment is awkward - Hotel is at ''Place Dupuis'' and this place has the sad reputation of being the headquarter of junkies and ''street female workers'' in Montreal downtow. Would not let my girlfriend alone on St-Hubert Street at this place after 10pm.

Room furniture is Old and decrepit.

Room decoration is dated back from the 70's.... This includes cigarette burns all over the furniture.... But beds and washroom were clean.

Bottom line:

Hotel was OK for a 2 days stay. Nothing fabulous here but it was OK.
Hotel is rated 4 stars... It's more like a 3.5 stars... At 75$ per night, this is OK.
Will return at this price...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotels Gouverneur Montreal

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I guess it's true what they say you get what you pay for. We got a room for a two night stay in "Montreal downtown" on Hotwire. We would have preferred to get something closer to the University but this was decent as it is on st. Catherine.

We were not impressed by the night staff at the hotel. The day staff seemed a lot friendlier and nicer. We arrived at the hotel really late and tired from the drive and went to the front desk to check in. Despite the fact that we called the night before to ensure we got a queen bed in our room, and the lady on the phone guaranteed we would, of course we didnt get it. The guy working at the front desk said there was some sort of wait list and that we checked in really late in the evening or something which clearly isn't our fault because we were driving from Toronto. But this is the reason we couldnt get a queen bed? Wow. Not only that, we told him that we were delayed even more because their parking entrance was blocked by cop cars on the block for some reason. We were circling around the neighborhood and about to pay for street parking but luckily the cops finally moved and we were able to get through. They were oblivious when we mentioned it to them.

We were on the 11th floor. Room was really outdated like the other reviews have mentioned. Old bulky tv, walls were scratched, mold in the washroom, I even had pistachio shells under the bed and on the carpet beside my table. Classy. Thank goodness we were never in our hotel, only to sleep so I wasn't too upset.

Pros: decent location, near Berry QUAM station, super close so we were able to transit instead of using the car. Some shops and food court downstairs, an IGA was also downstairs so we bought snacks and food etc. had a pool but we never used it. Nearby a few food places and restaurants. The hotel is Right on corner of st. Catherine so down the road 25 mins or so, tons of shopping.

Cons: OLD rooms! They need a makeover. Carpets were dirty etc. you still have to walk a bit to get to the popular touristy areas. We walked a lot so it took us a bit to walk to old Montreal and other sites but if you don't mind it, it's fine. The parking garage is under construction so the parking spots are ridiculously tight and hard to navigate around. Parking isn't free (of course) about 19 a night. The one guy at the front desk sucks at customer service. Everyone else was nice and helpful.

Would I ever return to this hotel again? Probably not. That is just my preference and I didn't have a good experience as soon as I got there so it pretty much set the mood for a bad experience. I would rather pay a little bit more money to get a cleaner room without pistachio shells all over the carpet.

However, if you're budget conscious, I recommend it even if it's slightly outside of the touristy areas, travel by transit or car is fine.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Was given this property via an opaque site. When the name first came up I was like "huh"? and then when I read some of the reviews I got a knot in my stomach. It actually was not as bad as some reviewers make it out to be.

Check in was fast. We drove up from New York, and arrived in the evening after the rush. The desk clerk was polite and professional. When I crossed the lobby a little later, he addressed me by name asking if everything was ok.

The parking garage is currently undergoing some sort of renovation. It is open, but its a bit of a mess, and finding a spot can be a bit of a hassle I think we paid 19.00 per day.
ALSO..look for the signs that will guide you to an elevator that will take you into the hotel lobby. We did not, and ended up in an adjacent office building, and then had to walk outside to get to the reception area of the hotel.

The room itself was clean. However, I must agree with the reviewers that state everything is old. Indeed the TV s a bit bulky, and the furniture has seen better days.The bed was ok..but just. Te room had a coffee maker, but no room safe, which is something I like to use. We were on the 11th floor with a view of Mount Royal, and a park below, that had interesting colored panels.

The location was well suited for tourism, being right on top of a subway station (We left our car in the garage the whole time) Several reviewers commented on the panhandlers. I did not see any directly in front of the hotel. When we got into the subway, my son (age 12) summed it up perfectly.. "Music and homeless people again" We do a fair amount of travelling, so obviously this was not a new concept to him.

Unfortunately, my son wasn't feeling well, so we had to cut our trip short. Check out was quick and the bill was correct (Only incidentals, because it was prepaid)

I would not go out of my way to recommend this property, but if someone travelling on a tight budget asked for my opinion, I'd say this was fine.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2012

2 night stay in Feb. 2012.

Comparing this hotel as a 3* or 4* to another 3* or 4* is the wrong approach. Look at this hotel for the price paid and compare it based on price paid in other stays regardless of star level. We paid $72 for a double "classic" room via Hotwire blind buy. Even in this Feb. low season that's literally half of the AAA rate of a global chain in Old Town and probably upwards of 70% off of the unrestricted rate of some downtown properties. So, let's pause for a moment and realize that $72 is a steal for almost anything these days. For that price, as a blind item, I say no problem. I would never choose the property, on my own, however, and I don't think I'll be a regular Hotwire customer as a result (but that's a discussion for another forum thread).

Pros:
1. Location just east of downtown at UQAM and edge of the Latin Quarter. I disagree with earlier reviewers who said that panhandlers were problematic. Sure it was present in the walkways of the Metro. It's a major city, people. Tell me where there isn't panhandling in the downtown of a major city and then we'll talk. We are family with 12-year old and we didn't feel unsafe for a second.
2. Metro and small shopping area is downstairs--you need not go outside. Really nice upscale grocery adjacent to the hotel when you enter the underground are from the hotel lobby. Banque Nationale on the same block for currency exchange. In no way is this a commercial for them, but their exchange rates were quite fair and fees for the exchange nominal $4 or $5. Just FYI on that. Several restaurants within walking distance that appeared decent.
3. Hotel itself, rooms and pool were all clean and housekeeping is adequate. Our bathroom had stained grout and peeling wallpaper but that was the worst offense. Clean carpets, no nightmare stains on linens, etc.
4. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

Cons:
1. Old. I mean, old old. As in worn out. As in threadbare. This doesn't mean it wasn't clean, it was just beyond old. Furnishings were 30 years old if they are a day. See attached pictures.
2. Room was small. Not intolerable. But small. Obviously, we were in a "classic" room, so I can't comment on any higher offerings.

Forgive me but I'm actually a little obsessed with this "old" thing. Like it's a puzzle. I don't know the Gouverneur (Canadian) chain, but I'm wondering if this is their "clearance" property? You know how department stores send their inventory to some far off store in a strip mall somewhere in the suburbs? That's kind of what this was like. Or, you know how you can wait 6-9 months after a movie is new and go see it for a $1 or $2 at a far off theater that is worn? That's kind of what this was like. Was the mortgage on this building paid off so long ago that everything is pure gravy now so why invest because of competition? Or, they could truly be serving the "B" list market (which I was a part of with my Hotwire buy). Looks like tour groups come through here also.

I really think that this hotel makes an effort to keep it old. It wasn't that things were broken. Everything worked. Rather, it's like anything that needs replacing is tended to with inventory that is from some hotel clearance world.

Bamboo-themed lamps? Must have been flown in from a Waikiki hotel that was redone.

Beds with dips in the middle and yet I slept ok.

The Zenith TVs from 1985 you have seen mentioned in other reviews is true. I mean, they have to be buying these wholesale from some chain off an interstate highway that got rid of them. I don't think you can get the cathode tube parts for these things anymore so my guess is that when the TVs start to go, they'll pick up another lot from a hotel that was renovated and put them here.

Wall sconces in the hallways that are the kind from Home Goods or Home Depot that look like candles where the paper is wrapped around the front and is peeling.

It's still a conference center hotel, so you look at the old felt board in the lobby with gold letters and you have to laugh a little.

If you read my other reviews, I don't pick apart wall sconces. Rather, I have this list here because it can't be an accident. You have to try hard to have stuff this old.

To reiterate, at $72 we were placed in safe, dry, clean surroundings with amenities. But the circa 1980 time warp doesn't make it a property "of choice".

Room Tip: As for something renovated.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank skipsterNewYork
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The rooms are fairly standard for this type of hotel, so there was really no differentiation there. But points worth noting include the excellent service from the front desk staff, a great location just east of the more busy areas of St. Catherine's with the restaurants of St. Denis and St. Laurent easily walkable. Our room was on a higher floor facing west and had sweeping views from the St. Lawrence across the city to Mont Royal. This alone was good reason to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple