Hotel Universel Montreal
US$177
  • Restaurant
US$351
  • Pool
All reviewsolympic stadiumbotanical gardensbio domele toitfree shuttlerecommend this hotelmetro stationsliding doorshuttle servicewalking distancestay there againhotel is greathotel restaurantthe room was niceconvenient locationbiodomeplanetarium
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 April 2017

Might be an overstatement - I read the reviews and the + outweighed the -
We found that not to be so - BIG screw-up with our Rez (not the hotels fault, that is the only thing keeping this review at Average instead of POOR)
The Lobby is lovely, they are definitely trying to refurbish and remodel, but lacking even in the positives. Like I said the lobby is lovely, old world charming style, but then you get to a room and it is drab and dark and a little dingy, even with a fresh coat of paint, The beds have not been updated, the furniture other than a new flat screen TV is cheap and seems outdated. The bathroom, OBVIOUSLY where they spent the bulk of the remodel $$ is lacking in fit and finish, pretty fixture, that are all loose, beautiful porcelain with a $2 plastic seat, no thought put into what was spent.
The pool that people raved about as an oasis was actually a green quagmire of stagnant muck.
This Hotel makes its living as a LOCAL spot for meetings and weddings, not as a destination for travelers. That was evident. One final note that sums up the vibe of this property.
We are from the U.S. - I speak kitchen French and Spanish - English is my family's only language. We went to the in house restaurant our first night after checking in, and were greeted by the Hostess in french, and when we responded in English got the standard, upity, rude, Quebec response of "Uh, English - I will not recommend this property. And it will be another 30 years before I go back to Montreal.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Derek D
Reviewed 29 March 2017

Clean, updated room with 2 double beds - my family of 5 just fit. There didn't seem to be any 2 queen bed options which was unfortunate. Modern bathroom, 3/5 cleanliness (I am very picky). The front desk staff were extremely helpful, professional, knowledgeable, a pleasure to deal with - we had a lot of questions about the area and getting around. The pool is small, but the kids had a great swim; husband enjoyed the sauna. I chose this hotel for it's location - walking distance (5 mins) to the Biodome, Planetarium, Insectarium, and Botanical Gardens. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea B
Hotel-Universel-Mtl, Responsable de la réception at Hotel Universel Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2017

Hi Andrea B,

Thanks for your quick feedback! We appreciate the time you take to give us your feedbacks and will work hard to keep up the good work.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Simon

Reviewed 15 February 2017

We spent a night in mid-February at the Hotel Universel. It is not the first time we stayed at this location. We appreciate the location, the relative quietness of the area and the proximity of the Biodome, Olympic Stadium and the Metro. Nice area.

The front desk staff are very good, polite and knowledgeable. Our room was on the 5th floor (511) and was remodeled recently. While it was very well appointed (great mattress, TV, very clean) it is beyond me why you could let designer and architect come up with this completely useless bathroom. You need to have bionic arm to reach the roll of paper, and the door has gaps on both side - thanks in part to the bottom moulding (see photos) - that let anyone near the bathroom door peek thru the gap if they wish (door is 6 inches too narrow- Not pleasant (You've been sold a bad idea).

And please, get rid of those frosted bathroom door. I might be old-fashioned, but I like my privacy. Will return only if you get those door fixed. If not, this is enough for me to go somewhere else. Thanks for listening

Room Tip: If you want shower/bathroom privacy, ask for a non-remodeled room
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danield
Reviewed 2 February 2017

I have been at this hotel a few times simply because of its location. Nothing ever changes. I still belive this hotel is outdated. it could use some major moderizations. i belive they have started some work somewhere but I am not sure what.

The restaurant never changed too. for 2 years no I see that same menue.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Carsten S
Hotel-Universel-Mtl, Responsable de la réception at Hotel Universel Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2017

Dear Carsten S,

Thank you again for staying with these past few years and writting us a quick review. We agree with you that the hotel is a bit dated since it was build in 1985. We are working hard trying to keep the rooms up to date. We are currently renovationg the first floor which should be finish soon this month. We will be renovating the 7th floor right after that in hopes of converting the rooms for corporate guests. Since last year, the restaurant is run by new owners and they have made good changes over the year. They recently started back Brunches every Sunday that was very popular in the days. We hope to see you again in the future and welcome you with the renovations done.

Kind regards,

Simon

Reviewed 23 January 2017

Decent hotel for the price. Well located if you have to attend event at the Olympic stadium. Some of the room have been refurbished but the carpet need an overhaul. Great service but can be a bit noisy during the weekend due to the large groups.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family