“Chewy, overpriced, disappointing steak”

Le Steak Frites St-Paul
Ranked #1,549 of 6,101 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Quartier International
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Deciding against eating in our hotel restaurant (huge mistake), we crossed the street and ended up here. The one positive thing is that you can bring your own wine and it's $25pp for your corkage fee -- presumably for the night, which is quite good. Actually, we enjoyed the duck terrine app as well. But that's where it ended. My kids ordered the 4oz kids' steak with poutine; their steak was difficult to cut and very, very chewy. We had to cut it into TINY pieces so they could get through it. We had poutine all around and it was nothing to write home about. We had been eating poutine for all 3 days of our visit and this was by far the worst. The gravy was just BLAH. My husband and I each ordered the $48 rib eye, which was nothing more than OK. Not even close to something you'd get at The Keg, much less a higher-end steak joint. The peppercorn sauce was good and the steak needed it. No steak should NEED sauce to taste great, though...they just didn't season the steaks very well so they were devoid of flavour. But we were all tired and hungry and being "Anglos" didn't want to appear combative, so we shut up and ate. We had ordered a side of the mushrooms, which finally arrived as we were taking our last bites. We mentioned the timing and got a half-hearted apology. When the bill came, I was shocked to see them still on the bill. I had a third of steak left over, and my kids had more than half their steaks still on their plates, and both my husband and I had mushrooms and green beans left over so we asked to have it all packed up to take home. Imagine my surprise when I opened it the next day at home to find only my steak and the mushrooms packed up -- no sign of the other veg or my kids' steak. I shouldn't be upset because it wasn't even that good, but I was now even more disappointed in the whole experience. What a waste of money.

1  Thank Andrea T

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

I was sadly disappointed with my one and only visit this past Saturday night. I realize people are attracted to the "bring your own wine" aspect, and the free refills of fries, but the steak was a huge disappointment.
This restaurant has the word STEAK in it's name, what a let down.

The filet mignon was very pricey and completely and utterly bland. Absolutely no seasoning. I couldn't believe what I was eating. Plate looked gorgeous, but yuck.

I would have preferred to go to the Keg and get their delicious filet mignon that is seasoned to perfection every time.

Our waiter was also quick to try to get us to order and wasn't very attentive. Never asked if I wanted a drink other than water (I don't drink alcohol).

Calamari was terrible.

For my husband and I to eat (bringing our own wine) and having to pay $120 plus tip??? NEVER again.
What a shame.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Casual to date night atmosphere. It was not busy when we went around 9 pm in September and there was no wait to be seated. The waitress did a great job of keeping our water glasses filled and checking in with us. Our food orders did not take long. I ordered the lamb shank with fries and my wife ordered the filet mignon. Both dishes were good.
Expect to pay around $50 a person for an appetizer and main course.
We recommend this place for a nice dinner date or nice group dinner.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

This chef knows how to prepare a steak, plain and simple. I had the Bavette and it was melt in your mouth good. Brought my own wine too which kept the bill down and I chose a nice red to go with the steak. The ambience was good with candles and lots of separation between tables. Great service, good prices and the manager came by a few times to check on us and also when we left. He was well dressed unlike what the previous reviewer said. Overall I would definitely return and if I lived in the area, this would be a regular dining location for me.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

The food is correct, the place is correct but the service is a triple zero! The manager should use a fresh shirt, deodorant, change his very dirty tennis shoes for a decent pair and learn how to eat properly.... by this statement your best guess about cleanliness of the rest of the establishment is??? The service is poor and bad, you would think you are at their service and do you even think of asking their majesty for something??? Do not even think of drinking the water, directly from the tab , smells chlorine like hell. Only exception the asian guy who was really trying to do his best.