“Foodies, do not underestimate a good concierge”
Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #21 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 4 February 2011

My girlfriend and I took an off-season weekend trip to Montreal in January. Needless to say, we knew what we were getting ourselves into with the temperature in single digits. I chose the W Hotel based on it's solid reputation and also because they were offering some pretty good deals being, again, that it's January. The Hotel is nicely located near Old Montreal, a five minute walk from Notre Dame, and a short cab ride from just about every other neighborhood. Working in the food industry, our Montreal itinerary consisted mostly around restaurants, eating, and drinking. I had only 1 or 2 places I knew I wanted to visit in advance. 1. The amazing restaurant, Au Pied Du Cochon, and 2, Dieu Du Ciel! Brewpub. With only two solid stops I knew I needed back up. We approached the concierge and asked for advice. My girlfriend are both in our mid-20's. At first glance the Concierge told us all about the club scene, outdoor parties, etc..However, once he found out we were serious about the food scene ( a la reservation at Au Pied Du Cochon I made a month in advance) he pulled out all of the stops. Right away he gave us a LIST of local brewpubs and microbrasseries along with his beer recommendations (all of which were spot on). Followed by a LIST of amazing 'foodie' restaurants. As far as the Hotel itself, exactly what you would expect from the W. Clean, hip, trendy, comfortable. Montreal, in my book, one of the most underrated foodie cities, and that's coming from a resident of the NYC suburbs..

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 February 2011

Our room was huge, super-clean, well-lit, very cozy. The halls were spotless. We faced the street, but heard not a peep. We received great service from Daniel and Mireille at the concierge desk. The spa folks did a wonderful, but rather expensive, job.

Our complaints: Sky-high prices in the restaurant and/or room service, and stupidly high-priced internet service in-room. There are lots of dining options a short walk from the hotel (although, when we were there, it was -18F!), so don't bother. And you can get free wireless service in the lobby.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2011

My husband and I have been coming here for several years--for romantic getaways and when we have business in Montreal. Very hip design, great location near old Montreal, and wonderful staff. Over the years reception, concierge, valets, room service, and housekeeping have always been excellent. Classy, comfortable place. HIghly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2011

Hello dear guests!
Thank you for this beautiful review of our hotel. We are thrilled that the W Team made the difference during your experiences! Aren’t we excellent? As I can see, the W Montréal is the perfect fit for both of you when you are in town, so how about contacting us before your next trip at the W Montréal?
Have fun!
Your W Montréal Manager

Reviewed 27 January 2011

I am writing this from the W and while the rooms are adequate and modernly decorated, the room is incredibly dark. I have a window but it appears I am on the interior of the hotel looking out into office space. The W is one of the many hotels that no longer put a coffee pot in the room, which is incredibly annoying if you are like me and require a cup to get the day started. They do offer coffee in the lobby, but I'm not usually presentable when I want the first morning jolt. My flight was delayed and I arrived after midnight. The appearance of the hotel is really not that of a normal hotel. No drive up, check in area. I drove around the block several times before calling and asking where the main entrance was, it's the appearance of an office building and the valet was nowhere to be seen. It was late, and when they appeared they were very cordial--albeit I was cranky from being late and wishing to get a workout in before bed. I made it to the gym and was sorely dissapointed by what they offer. It's better than most Hilton gyms but offers a few free weights and cardio--not as much as I had hoped for. I am a fit traveler and would gift the gym 2.5 out of five stars. The room does have a DVD player, so I'll use that for my evening workout w/a DVD I brought from my fitness collection. I also went in search of some hot water for tea an hour ago. I found a bar but they said they couldn't help me--I guess they don't have hot water to go ? I went to the front desk, but they were too busy. I called and asked if someone would bring me a pot of hot water, it seems like it should be easier. They said they'd send it up. That was over an hour ago----really tough to find hot water for a cup of tea in this hotel. I really hate it when they don't leave a coffee pot in the room--I probably wouldn't have been driven to type a review otherwise.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2011

It's overpriced for what you actually get. The ambience is nice but the Sheraton and Westin etc deliver better value.

• Stayed: January 2011