5,956 results
All reviews gold floor iconic hotel chateau frontenac champlain restaurant le sam fairy tale river view old quebec lawrence river bucket list old world charm renovated room trip to quebec city the location is perfect lower town valet parking concierge
Reviewed 31 March 2015

My husband, my daughter and I spent a few days and nights in this lovely city and we wanted to stay in an old hotel property. The hotel did not disappoint. The property is stunning from top to bottom. We had an excellent price for the room as it was low season (March.) It should be noted that when we arrived in our room, there were bits of a children's toy on the floor under the desk and popcorn under our bed. This made me a bit uneasy as clearly the room could have been better cleaned - but the rest of our stay was positive. The staff were friendly and most notably our server in the bar, Marc -Antoine was excellent.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Blythly
Frederic P, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2015

Dear Blythly - Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your constructive comments and we will be sure to share your kind words with Marc-Antoine. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Sincerely, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations

Reviewed 30 March 2015

I spent a few nights at the Chateau in February and wasn't disappointed. We were on the gold floor in a renovated room with an amazing view of the old city. The room was small and a bit more “modern” than I expected but still beautiful. The hotel itself is very elegant and has a timeless, historic charm to it even with the renovations. The breakfast and cocktail hour for the gold floor was a very nice touch.

One con about this hotel is the internet is incredibly spotty, but it's perfect otherwise. Quebec City is beautiful in the winter time and the Chateau is very convenient for exploring and enjoying the old city.

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cassandra V
Frederic P, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2015

Dear swiminreverie - Many thanks for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us last February. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time on our Fairmont Gold floor. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Kind regards,
Frédéric Paré
Director of Operations

Reviewed 30 March 2015

I celebrated a special birthday and desired to feel like a princess during my stay at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac. Problems began from the moment I stepped through the door. After I tipped the doorman, he just let the door go (like the American expression "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya"). Stunned, I kept smiling because there was no way I was going to make a scene. After all, I am a lady. Next, the first bellman, so anxious to receive a tip, quickly grabbed my luggage before I could ask any questions, and he directed me to the incorrect check-in line. As a Fairmont Presidents Club member, I should have been pointed to a separate line. Never happened. Things kept getting worse: I was charged twice for the security deposit! Yes, CAD$400--CAD$200/night! Two months earlier I had paid for the room in full--and even that turned into a fiasco, requiring me to use up all my lunchbreaks to clarify (to English-speaking front-desk employees as well as employees at Fairmont's central reservations phone number) that, since I already had paid for my room for the two nights, I did not need to fill out any credit card authorization form. While I appreciate not having to wait for my room, I remained in that room from the moment I realized my credit card was charged CAD $200 although I was staring at my receipt showing I had paid in Canadian currency (Canadian dollar bills) the amount of CAD $200. So what ensued was, although I had a free-of-charge early check-in and use of room, at 11:30 a.m. (after having checked out of a tiny, quaint inn with employees that were more courteous than all of the staff put together, and with a view across the St. Lawrence of the Montmorency Falls), I glanced at my SmartPhone to check for friends' texts -- after taking photos of the room (I advise all hotel guests to do that in case a hotel tries to claim you damaged something) and checking to make sure the heating system worked and the water pressure was fine, etc. Looking at my SmartPhone, I saw an alert from my credit card company (the same credit card that I had used nearly a year earlier to guarantee the room and, 2 months before the trip, to pre-pay for the room in full). I was livid. The alert read that my credit card had just been charged US $157 (and change)--i.e., CAD $200 was charged, but the credit card company was holding the funds in the U.S. amount. That night, Le Champlain was superb, but my princess fantasy was derailed before it could begin. :(

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
6  Thank GoGoBoots_2010

Dear GoGoBoots_2010 - Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies for your experience. This is definitely not the type of service we strive to provide for our guests. Our team would like to discuss this matter with you further. I invite you to contact me at your earliest convenience at Frederic.Pare@Fairmont.com. Once again, we do apologize for this experience and thank you for your comments. I look forward to speaking with you. Sincerely, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations

Reviewed 30 March 2015

Currently undergoing a major renovation, this storied hotel is full of old-world charm, professionally trained and helpful staff, and is located right next door to the famous Petit Champlain--the street dating from the 1600s that is shown in most postcards of Québec.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
3  Thank ek_ottawa

Dear ek_ottawa - Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay. We are currently renovating our SAM Bistro, due to be completed at the end of April, however our other major renovation projects have been completed since last June. We are very proud of the result and the hotel is operating as normal. Thank you again, ek_ottawa for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back very soon. Kind regards, Frérédic Paré, Director of Operations

Reviewed 30 March 2015

Although my brother and I preferred the pre renos to the Frontenac, we liked the worn around the edges aspect of the place, the renovated Frontenac has lost a little of its old charm but is still a beautiful and extremely comfortable and well situated place.

Our suite on the gold floor extremely comfortable. The gold floor staff and the lounge were very accommodating and friendly.

Pity that the bar and top end restaurant were closed while we were there. Hotel staff very accommodating of our dog, Winston. Also a very good location to old Quebec, museums and the Carnival.

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Charles M
Frederic P, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2015

Dear Bvaguscharles - Many thanks for having taken the time to provide your comments about your stay last February. We appreciate that you continue to come visit us over the years. I am also glad that Winston enjoyed his stay with us as well. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon. Sincerely, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations