Bua River Lodge
Grace Motel(Nkhotakota)
Nawo Rest House(Nkhotakota)
Sungu Beach(Nkhotakota)
Jumia Travel
All reviewsthe ownerbua riverisland roomshidden gema great stayon the rocksloveliest staffpacked lunchgin and tonicgame reservejohntenthillsidewalkscampwildlifetranquility
Reviewed 29 October 2017

We were told in advance that ownership was changing: the former owner left and the new one did not finish the takeover yet. Mangement was for the meantime done by Donna and Steven from Tongole Logde further upriver. They are very kind and accurate people looking after every need. The lack of ownership showed in bad maintenance: loose planks, shaky stairs, worn curtains. The new ownder will have to do a lot of rebuiding and refurbishing. The river was almost dry, there were hardly any animals to see. The gamewalk we did was very long, but apart from a dead croc we didn't see much. Be prepared for a long steep walk and bring the right shoes for it. Drinks were excellent, food was fine. The two island rooms are beautiful, the two riverside rooms are OK, the two hillside rooms are small and quite a climb. Our stay became only special when two elephants came to the camp in the evening so that we couldn't go to bed before they had left.

Room Tip: go for at least a riverside room to avoid a nasty climb
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank RallyWise
Reviewed 13 July 2017

Bua River Lodge is a really special african experience. We stayed in the tents which felt luxurious with big beds and a beautiful open shower in our private section of the park. We loved the food and always had plenty to eat on the deck overlooking the river. The staff are very friendly, and we really enjoyed the guided walks. A fond memory is having a Malawi Gin and Tonic sitting on the rocks by the river after a short walk to a special spot at sunset (all of which the staff helped with!).
Whilst we were there we had a local wild elephant come through the site which was an incredible experience - the staff were obviously well trained and it was reassuring to feel safe whilst being so close to a huge, unpredictable elephant!
I would recommend this hidden gem to anyone visiting Nkhotakota or nearby!
Also, we initially had some difficulty contacting the owner to book due to poor phone reception but it is worth waiting for him to get back to you because once there you will be treated with such warm and generous hospitality by all the staff in this wonderful location!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maya_Ventures
Reviewed 15 May 2017

The Bua River Lodge is one of kind! A small lodge located on the banks of the Bua River. John and his staff are amazingly welcoming. The food is delicious, and often makes you wonder " how'd they do that?" when you feel the remoteness of the lodge. With the arrival of the curious elephants, the staff do keep your safety in mind, and will escort you around when necessary. If you want peace, tranquility, and a taste of wildlife I cannot recommend BRL more. I will definitely be back in the near future and cannot wait to see what lies in store for the Nkhotakota Game Reserve and the BRL.

Stayed: April 2017
buariverlodge, Manager at Bua River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2017

Many, many thanks for your wonderful review. We are delighted you enjoyed our food! And elephant visits have been quite frequent, so guest safety is our paramount concern. We look forward very much to hosting you again.

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the end of March. The river was high and everything was green. It was an interesting time to be there. Isaac was just so lovely and made me a vege packed lunch for our time travelling to our next destination. He put a little sticker on my sandwich pack that said 'meat free, by Isaac'. I must admit to have a tear in my eye when I saw that. The staff are so lovely and keen to please the guests. Juma was also lovely and gave us a good walking tour.

The road into Bua needed a 4WD as the road was quite bad after the rains. The only time I got bitten was at Bua, though not by mosquitoes. I think I was munched at the river side at dusk - wear long trousers even if told it's okay without. The insects love me so perhaps I was unlucky.

All in all a great stay. The food was excellent, including the best Greek salad I've had. Breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner!!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
buariverlodge, Manager at Bua River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2017

So delighted you enjoyed yourselves so much at Bua, despite getting bitten! And thank you very much for your praise of the staff. I have printed this and shown them it - they were very happy indeed.

Reviewed 22 March 2017

Bua River Lodge is wonderful. A real getaway (no phone or internet!). River was in full flow and was beautiful. Great treks through the park with extremely knowledgeable guides. Food was excellent, as was the hospitality from John and team.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo