The Lake Isle
US$91
US$76
US$95
US$92
All reviewswhirlpool bathrestaurant with roomsevening mealhomemade biscuitsfantastic restaurantone night staygreat foodbreakfast menuhigh streetstaff were brilliantscallop starterpower showermain coursecomfortable bedhidden gemexcellent mealrutland water
Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

An amazing find in Uppingham - excellent meal, service great- scallop starter devine. A wonderful evening with friends during a long weekend in Uppingham. Good to enjoy a pre dinner drink whilst exploring the menu & ordering before being taken to our table .

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2016

One might be forgiven for thinking that ,judging from the title, this hotel would be situated on an island in the middle of beautiful Rutland Water. However , the lake is 2 or 3 miles away and the location is actually in Uppingham's High Street. The hotel takes its name from a poem by W.B. Yeats extolling peace and tranquility and this is what you get.(Let's face it No one could call Uppingham rowdy!)
My wife succinctly described this establishment as "a restaurant with rooms" . In other words, its main attraction is the said restaurant.The rooms are quite small (at least ours was) but comfortable without being luxurious. There is a small bar cum sitting area but little else in the way of hotel amenities .
All that being said ,the restaurant delivers in spades. The food is excellent, the service friendly, efficient and relaxed. Breakfast is all delivered to the table and cooked to order.
As It was the restaurant which attracted us we were in no way disappointed.
The whole atmosphere here was very friendly and helpful. Parking at the hotel is limited and somewhat cramped; you need steady nerves to reverse out between other cars and a threatening stone wall! I advise an adjacent long stay car park which is extremely cheap and convenient.
The hotel would not seem advisable for those with mobility problems as all rooms are upstairs and there is no lift

Room Tip: The rooms all seem to be comfortable
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2016

The experience which me and my girlfriend had, was fantastic. The food which we had was very tasty and made from great quality whilst the service was excellent. I fully recommend the bacon, brie and mushroom toastie which was sublime. If you like to find a place to eat in Uppingham, this is the place.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ross C
Reviewed 28 March 2016

We recently stayed at this hotel as a party of six. We had booked a special offer for dinner, bed and breakfast. The dinner menu was interesting and the food was ultimately cooked to perfection and very well presented. The breakfast presented in a similar manner.
The ambience of the restaurant was commented on by all in our party.
The owner introduced himself and made us very welcome from start to finish of our short break.
Bedrooms were on the small side but this was offset with the wonderful freshness of the bathroom.
Parking can be bit of a problem if you arrive on a Friday which is the market day.
We would definitely stay there again when in the area.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

My wife and I have been returning to lake isle every year for the past 6 years and it always delivers!

This time we opted for the cottage for something different, what a beautiful little two up two down with all mod cons including a whirlpool bath and power shower. A fantastic I way to spend some quality time in quality surroundings.

I also opted to surprise my wife with a bouquet. I was a little worried it might be a bunch of daffs! It was anything but absolutely fantastic and a great way to start our stay. I've never quite got why she loves the flowers thing but if you're looking to score brownie points her face said it all! Thank you LI.

We strolled around beautiful upping ham and headed to the Vaults where we spent a few hours enjoying drinks and would you believe it each other's company too. That was the plan and it worked.

We opted for dinner at LI as its always been great, this time was no exception. Each time the menu changes and gets better, no easy achievement. We had breaded scallops with pork belly to start, not a combo I'd have thought of but wow it works.

We then opted for sea-bream and I went for chicken and we did our usual 50:50 as we always want what the other is eating. Both were brilliant and we couldn't resist a side of chips which were great too.

I'm no wine buff but the selection was impressive, we opted for a prosecco as I need a bit of fizz after an afternoons drinks and a well earned nap!

We had a great nights sleep in comfy surroundings before heading over for a breakfast to die for. Great quality and more than sufficient for the healthiest of appetites.

We'll be heading back again for our annual rural-retreat! Thanks Lake Isle