Coconut Grove Beach Resort
Priceline
Hotel Ariana(Bauang)
US$49
US$46
Oasis Country Resort(San Fernando La Union)
US$57
Agoda.com
GO Inn(San Fernando La Union)
US$30
Aureo La Union(San Fernando La Union)
US$110
US$93
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$107/night.

US$134
US$113
Hotel Elegant(San Fernando La Union)(Great Value!)
US$20
Hotels.com
All reviewsballroom dancingstandard roomother resortsla unionfamily rooms aregreat poolrestaurant staffsandphilippineslightingseasecurityfoodscashbudget
Reviewed 16 June 2016

This was my second stay at this hotel. Both were for a period of two weeks, so for the most part I'm very familiar with this resort.

Reservation and checkin: I made my reservation via email. There was about a day's delay before an answer, but otherwise I had no problems. At the time I made the reservation, there were plenty of vacancies. I selected a standard room. Check in was likewise quick and painless.

The staff: Here is where I sing the loudest praise of this resort! The staff treated me so well I felt like family. I have rarely felt so welcome. They all knew me by name and greeted me warmly every time they saw me. I'll be going into some of the negatives of the resort later, but whatever shortcoming there are in other parts of the resort is made up in large part by the employees of the resort. From Jona and Mafil at the front desk, to Jessica, Rene, Karen, Anabel, and the rest at the restaurant staff, all contributed to a wonderful stay.

The property: There are two types of rooms, standard and deluxe. I'll come right out and say that I stayed in the standard rooms, so I can't really comment on the inside of the deluxe rooms. But here is where my major complaint lies. The doors to the standard rooms aren't hinged and do not close like normal doors. Rather, the doors slide from the side to close. This creates a massive air leak which is shown from some pictures I'll enclose. Additionally, the old jalousie type windows do not close all the way, and also lets in a great deal of hot outside air. During the hot May afternoons, all that overwhelmed the ability of the small air conditioner to cool the room. There was only one small spot of the room, directly in front of the air conditioner that was remotely cool. Otherwise, during the afternoon, the room was hot. You could even see the curtains being pushed up against the windows opposite the way the A/C was blowing. That's how badly the air got in from the outside. I doubt the deluxe rooms have that problem. Number one, they have regular doors that shut. Number two, they don't have the jalousie windows, but rather, regular one. I am sure that cooling is not a problem on the deluxe rooms. One other thing. On the last night I was there, there was a major rainstorm, and water poured into my room. Most of it was flooded, so the roof needs major work. Needless to say, the rooms in the building where the standard rooms are need major renovation.

I understand that the lease the resort has with the landowner is up within the next few years, and that the resort would be hesitant to sink major money into the resort until a new lease is signed. But this problem has been present a long time.

Internet access: Wifi is available at most parts of the resort, and if you can get it, the performance is adequate. Remember this is the Philippines, and the Philippines as a whole is rated very low on internet performance. But the resort wifi is good enough for email, general surfing, and standard quality streaming. The placement of various access points is not optimal, so there are spots, especially in the building housing the standard rooms, where wifi is not available.

Swiming pool: Nice! If you do have guests that aren't staying in the resort there is a charge to bring them in to swim.

Bar/Restaurant: The resort has a pretty good variety of food and drinks to choose from. There is a good selection of local foods. The usual selection of drinks is also available. The prices are about what you would expect at a resort. Certainly more expensive than if you bought in a store, but it's not crazy expensive, either. My breakfasts tended to cost around P260. Dinners will be more. Beer was around P45. The Bar/Restaurant is open 24 hours, so you can imbibe any time you want. The food tasted very good, and the service was good.

TV: Nice TVs in each room. Channels tend to be snowy. However, I don't put a lot of weight on that, because I didn't come here on vacation to watch TV. I can do that at home.

Refrigerator: Each room has a fridge to store waters or whatever. No problems with mine, nice and cold.

Odds n Ends: I didn't have a car, so parking wasn't a concern for me. However there is adequate parking, so you shouldn't have any problems. There is a lawn bowling club that meets every morning, except on Wednesdays when it's afternoons. If you want to participate, you can try it out. There isn't much of a beach anymore, due to beach erosion, even at low tide. Still, the view is quite nice, and the sunsets are stunning. The national highway is right there, you can take a jeepney into San Fernando for eleven pesos. There is ballroom dancing every Saturday night, which ends at midnight. It's popular with some of the local folks. The music can get kind of loud, so if you're a peace and quiet type, you'll have to just wait it out on Saturday nights.

With the exception of the room itself, I enjoyed myself very much! If I make it back, I'll be staying here again! But I will opt for a deluxe room if the standard rooms are still the same.

Room Tip: If your budget allows, stay in the deluxe rooms for better A/C.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

The rooms are spacious. It is clean yet our toilet don't have flush. The pool is nice. The people are accomodating. The beach is not that good but very calming in the morning. But the view is great and very you can take several photos. The food is pricey.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2016

What I could say in our stay is we really had fun in this resord the staffs are very accommodating and the price to consider is affordable. the rooms are well maintained. the restauarant has a plus point as well good food.

We will surely come back.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank woder T
Reviewed 3 April 2016 via mobile

Sitting in the restaurant after receiving a very warm welcome, eating grilled mahi mahi and french fries watching the sun set, drinking chilled buko (Coconut water)! It doesn't get better than this.

Nice big pool in a quiet setting. Room to dine by the pool if you prefer. Staff are so friendly.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alpha778
Reviewed 5 March 2016 via mobile

We booked at this resort for one night only. We intended to stay for 12 nights but decided not to. The room was spacious. The toilet was okay. There was a long piece of hair by the wash basin. The shower runs slow. There was a hot shower at night time but not in the morning.
We had a meal at the restaurant. My partner ordered medium rare steak but the outcome was well done. While eating we were not asked how the food was, not offered more drinks. The staff were watching tv and using their phones. Staff also started eating their dinner while we were in the middle of our dinner. We were not offered any more drinks after our meal.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family