“Hidden gem”

Ranked #15 of 129 Restaurants in Rossendale
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Sun Dragon is a large-ish, family run Chinese restaurant in the Rossendale Valley. I have been before and it had been full. This time, I went with my family and in-laws, the latter having been several times before and confirmed that it had always been full. However, on this occasion, we were the only customers there – on a Saturday evening! It turned out it was the night of the Strictly Come Dancing Finals and all the restuarant's usual clientèle were at home watching it! Thus, the somewhat quiet atmosphere didn't bode well for a fun night out. How wrong I was. While we were waiting for our food, the young son (about 7?) of the family came down from the living accommodation above the restaurant for his supper (fish fingers and chips!) and while he was waiting for that, he entertained us royally with sparkling conversation (even though he had just lost his front teeth!) that had us memorised. Then the daughter of the family, who was the waitress, served us the food cooked by her father. The starter dish (a variety of items) was plentiful, fresh and tasty. Whilst the dish was supposed to be for 4, it was enough for all 7 of us. Then the mains came. I had Chicken Saday. It came on a sizzling platter and was absolutely delicious. And there was a lot of it. The rice for the group I thought could have been a bit more generous as I could have eaten more of it. To be fair, though, the waitress had said we only had to ask and we could have had more. But by the time I was in need of more rice everyone else had finished and they did not want more. As I could not have managed another whole portion of rice for myself, I left it. But this is hardly a criticism of the restaurant. I also sampled the shredded chile beef (quite a kick!) and Beef Gio Tar of two of my companions and they were equally good. In fact, my companion eating the Gio Tar said it was one of the best Chinese meals he had ever had and I think my Saday was too (and I have eaten in China). The food was clearly cooked to suit Western tastes and I'm sure there are more authentic Chinese Restaurants for the purist, but for me the meal was exceptionally enjoyable. What really capped the evening was that at the end of it, the mother of the family came and asked us if we had enjoyed the meal and this developed into 15 minutes of lively and interesting conversation, including what it is like to eat in Chinese villages. The son had clearly been a chip off the old block! All-in-all, what at first seemed likely to be a rather quiet evening turned out to be anything but! Thoroughly recommended.
Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

I visited last night with a friend. I have passed many times over the years but never actually eaten here so wasn't sure what to expect. As soon as we entered the restaurant we were greeted by very welcoming staff and immediately shown to our table. The service was excellent and the waiting staff were very friendly and regularly checked that everything was to our satisfaction. Nothing was too much trouble and it wasn't a problem when I asked them to modify one of the meat dishes to make it vegetarian friendly - although there is already a good selection of vegetarian dishes (I just like to be awkward! Lol). We had salt & pepper tofu and kindo ribs to start followed by chicken satay and vegetarian Singapore noodles with some salt & pepper chips. All the dishes were served very promptly and were piping hot when they arrived. The food was delicious and very tasty - I would have ordered other dishes too if I hadn't been so full. I will definitely be visiting again and cannot recommend it highly enough. I will be telling all of my friends and family to go. In response to some of the less than favourable reviews on here - the decor adds to the experience. When I visit a Chinese restaurant I like to feel as though I am in a Chinese restaurant and not some sterile place with no personality or atmosphere. The Sun Dragon has a very authentic Chinese feel. The decor is red and gold with dragons dotted about and there is even a fish tank in the waiting area. You immediately feel welcome as soon as you enter and the atmosphere is lovely. The restaurant isn't crammed with tables either so you can't hear the conversation of the people next to you. It is a delightful, family run restaurant with great service and delicious food. If you want to go to a pretentious, soulless establishment where your waiting staff barely utter a word except to recite the specials then this isn't the place for you but if you want to feel like you are visiting a friend's house where you are made to feel welcome and can enjoy delicious food and have friendly conversation and enjoy the lovely warm atmosphere then give it a whirl. You won't be disappointed. 10/10

1  Thank Laura H

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

I thought the hostess was delightful, and the food was very good too. It felt like a really warm family run restaurant. I would recommend to anyone passing through Haslingdon.

1  Thank jasonpietro13
Reviewed 23 April 2017

We have been here on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed! The food is always fresh and hot and delivered quickly. The staff are really warm and friendly and make you feel at home. Can't wait to visit again! :) x

1  Thank twizzlez
Reviewed 14 April 2017

It's a set menu of three courses for £6 on Thursday nights - great as a pre-meeting, quick meal. There's a range of main courses to choose from, fast service and Mei is friendly and funny.
I brought the family back another time and they're hooked, too.

Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

I started to eat at this restaurant regularly a few months ago with friends and I love it!!!! The owner is so friendly and amusing with a brilliant sense of humour. I've only been here a few times so far but I'm always made to feel very welcome and like I'm an old friend. I really look forward to every visit. The special deal of a 3 course meal for £6 is amazing value!!!! Well done Sun Dragon