Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews lake view rainforest casita turtle inn coppola wines paddle boards shell phone sweat lodge magical place the main dining area inner tubes welcome cocktail sunrise tour spider monkeys small pool minute drive main building spent three nights
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 September 2021

I have had the opportunity to plan my engagement propposal at the hotel, i contacted them and evelyn made everything possible, it was a magical experience and definetly a dream come true for my fiancé and myself, we are completelly gratefull for the excellent service, the beautiful instalations and the incredible staff, for sure comimg back at any time son!!

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Noe De La Rosa Morales, General Manager at La Lancha, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2021

Dear kevinmT8897QO;

Thank you so much for sharing such a memorable experience on a very special occasion for you- and what a better place to make a proposal than in this wonderful hideaway.
Our staff takes pride in assisting our clients in preparing unforgettable experiences and they are well trained on all that it takes to make this happen.
It was our greatest pleasure and hope that someday in the near future you can plan a return trip and stay for your honeymoon and for the many anniversaries to come.

Reviewed 20 August 2021

I’ve been intrigued by the Coppola Family Resorts portfolio for years, so when planning our third trip to Guatemala for this August, and discovering that La Lancha was offering a third-night-free promotion, this seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it out. Any questions I sent by email were responded to quickly, like arranging airport pickup, booking a Tikal sunrise tour, etc.

It is not easy to reach La Lancha—flight to Guatemala City, flight to Flores, car ride to the dock, boat ride to the resort—but the destination is so worth the effort.

Our driver from La Lancha met us outside. It was a 10 minute drive to the dock at Flores; the town seemed a little nicer than I had expected given what I had read on the TripAdvisor forums. The hostess from La Lancha was there to welcome us, and she introduced us to the captain. We boarded the shuttle boat and had an exhilarating 30 minute ride across the gleaming lake to the resort.

As we pulled up to the dock, I was taken aback to see several children frolicking in the water, and the the deck chairs in the dock were all occupied by their parents. I just assumed there wouldn’t be many other travellers wherever we went, but it seemed I was wrong. And I also assumed La Lancha would appeal mainly to adults and couples looking for a quiet getaway…but again it seemed I was wrong. It felt more “summer camp” than “luxury boutique resort.”

A bellman whisked our luggage away and we were led to the funicular to take us up to the main building. There are also stairs—LOTS of stairs—but we weren’t really dressed for the extreme heat, so we gladly accepted the “ride.” We would have plenty of opportunity during the rest of our stay to work on our quads and glutes!

The resort itself creates a wonderful first impression: incredibly lush and peaceful grounds, with 11 casitas scattered throughout the property to maximize privacy and solitude. It was still early (11:30 a.m.), so our lake view suite wasn’t yet ready, but they kindly offered us a rainforest casita (small, dark, but attractively furnished) in which to freshen up, change, and relax. The welcome cocktail of hibiscus juice and rum was refreshingly delicious.

We enjoyed a light lunch of terrific BLTs and some local beer before wandering around the property to get oriented. Then we changed into swimsuits and went to the small pool, with its lovely views over the lake, for a cool dip.

By 2:00 p.m. our suite was ready. I had seen the photos online and in various reviews, but it still took my breath away with its panoramic vista over Lake Petén. We had a good sized living room, a powder room and a full bath, and a comfortably appointed bedroom. I would describe the overall style as “rustic indigenous luxury.” The furniture appeared to be handmade, exuberant textiles adorned the bed and walls. Fresh flowers, in vases and placed on the bed and towels, adorned all four rooms. There are no televisions in the casitas (we didn’t miss it at all). There was a minibar stocked with a variety of Coppola wines and other beverages, a coffee station, and a jar of the most delicious cookies (a blend of cocoa and some kind of ground chestnut). The toiletries also seemed to be locally made/sourced, and the soaps had a beautiful scent (eucalyptus and some kind of mint, perhaps?). The woven hammock on the terrace was the most comfortable in which I’ve ever lain.

We unpacked, settled in, and decided to trek down to the lake. By that time the families had gone (apparently they were a party of 18, and they were checking out that day—phew!). The lake was surprisingly warm and the water clear. We enjoyed jumping and diving off the dock, and swimming around for an hour or so. There were lots of “water toys” available for use: stand-up paddle boards, kayaks, inner tubes, etc. There was also an intercom housed inside a large conch shell (they called it their “shell phone”), and if you wanted anything from the bar or the restaurant, it would be brought down to the lake for you.

We drifted up the restaurant for dinner around 7:00 p.m. The property is even more atmospheric at night, with illuminated clay lanterns lining the pathways, a fire pit with seating area, and candles on all the tables. A chef stood by a wood fired grill, ready to cook whatever the guests desired. We chose the specialty of the house, a whole grilled whitefish freshly caught from the lake. It was delicious, but being used to fillets, I had a hard time navigating all the little bones. My partner deboned his like a pro, however—a skill I didn’t know he had! We also enjoyed a complimentary cream of broccoli soup, and for dessert sautéed bananas and an unusual cocoa pudding served in a leaf. We washed it all down with a bottle of Sofia blanc-de-blancs. It was an expensive meal for Guatemala, but given the remote location and the quality of the food and service, it was justifiable.

We had to get to bed early that night as we had a 2:30 a.m. (!) departure for the sunrise tour at Tikal. The weather forecast was promising, so we had high hopes for some impressive views.

It was surprisingly easy to roll out of bed (we received a wake up call from our “shell phone”), and it was rather cool to experience the resort so late at night as we made our way from our casita to the main entrance. The driver navigated the abysmal roads as best he could. He seemed to know every bump, rut, and pothole! At about the halfway point we stopped to pick up our guide, Antonio Madrid. He was an exceptionally well educated man with knowledge not only of archaeology and anthropology, but history, botany, and zoology as well.

As incredible as the experience was, we were *wrecked* by the time we got back to the hotel around 9:30 a.m. According to my iPhone we logged 21000 steps and the equivalent of 53 floors climbed. We stumbled to “our table” at the restaurant for the included continental breakfast (fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt and granola, coffee), then to the room to shower and change. I was too exhausted to sleep (if that even makes sense), so I went for a swim and read on one of the loungers for awhile. I tried napping later, around 1:00 p.m., but just hovered around semi-consciousness. We went down to the lake for a swim, then returned to our balcony to play cards and have a glass of wine.

By 7:00 p.m. we knew we’d better go to dinner or we wouldn’t make it at all. This time I had the grilled chicken, and it was even better than the whitefish. We also split an appetizer of chilaquiles, and we each ordered dessert. I usually love rice pudding, but this version was served hot and had a very “brothy” consistency. I wasn’t a fan. Back at the room, it was lights out by 9:30 p.m.

Given our big excursion the day before, we wanted to do nothing the next day but lie around the resort and relax. After breakfast we decided to learn how to play bocce, since there was a pitch with a set adjacent to the restaurant. It seemed quite simple, but there’s definitely a learning curve. (I lost 16:5.)

The loser and the victor went down to the dock at the lake, where we had the whole place to ourselves for hours—there was not another soul in sight for as far as the eye could see. It was the most serene, zen-like experience I’ve ever had. We swam, used the SUPs and kayaks, and played cards. I used the “shell phone” to call for some Gallo, guacamole, and grilled chicken sandwiches. Everything was delivered in about 20 minutes. It was a delightful afternoon.

Again we had dinner at the restaurant (room service is also an option), where the chef offered us some items not on the menu, because it was our third night there. I opted for the grilled shrimp spaghetti “aglio e olio,” which was fantastic. My partner had my chicken dish from the night before because it was so good. Instead of dessert, I opted for a “Peten Colada” that sounded like dessert (Kahlua, rum, coconut liqueur, chocolate milk), but it wasn’t very good—just a couple of sips was enough for me.

Our return flight to Guatemala City with TAG the next day was at 2:15 p.m., so we were able to have a leisurely morning of breakfast, swims at the lake and pool, packing up everything, and enjoying some final moments on the balcony gazing out at the lake. As much as we were looking forward to returning to Antigua for our third visit, we were sad to be leaving La Lancha. We both felt we could easily have spent five nights there.

This was our first day with some rain, so we were not able to take the boat launch back to Flores, due to the threat of thunderstorms and rough waters. Taking the (very rough) roads adds another 20 minutes to the trip and is decidedly less comfortable and less scenic.

I thought our stay at La Lancha might be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but everything about it was so exceptional—the accommodations, the service, the food, the views—that we will definitely return, and for a little longer stay, perhaps in combination with another Coppola Family Resort in Belize.

Room tip: Casitas vary quite a bit. Decide what your priorities are, and reach out to the staff for guidance in choosing the best room for you.
Date of stay: August 2021
1  Thank Beyond_YXU

Dear Beyond_ YXU;

I want to send out a huge thank you for taking the time to describe step by step your enjoyable and unforgettable experience with us at La Lancha!
It gives our staff such a great satisfaction to learn that we hosted some very amazing and happy clients who just loved and enjoyed every experience, atmosphere and service.
It is also great to learn that after your second trip to Guatemala, you decided that your third trip would included La Lancha and Tikal in the north region of our country and as we can read there is nothing that you regret from this decision.
Please note that if you plan a return trip in the future we will definitely make it up for the few keep backs we had and will once more create memorable experiences for you.
Noe

Reviewed 20 July 2021

La Lancha Lodge is a great place to stay!! Hot water in the shower, very clean and a wonderful staff!! The area by the lake is beautiful and the Lodge has plenty of things to do while being at the lake. Food was amazing. Highly recommend this Lodge!!

Date of stay: July 2021
1  Thank Kelley R
Noe De La Rosa Morales, General Manager at La Lancha, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2021

Dear Kelley R;

I am so thankful to you for having taken the time out to write such a nice comment on your experience with us.
Great to know that you loved your dwelling , it's cleanliness and its commodities.
Staff for sure, take pride in creating unforgettable experiences for all our guests and glad that you are of on them.
You got it right, the lakeside has much to offer such as, canoeing, rope swinging, tubing, SUP's, sun tan on our pier, or why not take a sunset boat ride and sip a glass of our very own Coppola wines.
Our 100% authentic cuisine offers many great savory dishes prepared with much enthusiasm and care for our diners, as you have witnessed.
We do hope to have you visit and stay with us once more in the near future!
Best,
Noe

Reviewed 3 June 2021

Lovely boutique hotel to relax and enjoy the sounds of nature. No TVs, just a quiet reprieve to rest and relax. Perfect! I loved lounging on the hammock and taking the funicular down to the lake. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the grounds are well manicured. The food is good, albeit a bit expensive. I had to set up external tours as I was a party of one and the property had a minimum party size of two for booking tours. I deducted a star for this because in this day & age, solo travel is highly popular and upscale properties should be able to accommodate in my opinion. That or at least refer me to local operator. All in all I would visit again. The on-site staff were friendly.

Date of stay: May 2021
2  Thank MahoganyTravels
Noe De La Rosa Morales, General Manager at La Lancha, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2021

Dear MahoganyTravels,
Thank you so much for taking out time from your agenda to write such a great comment on us.
Nevertheless there could have been a miscommunication since we do arrange tours for solo, couples or groups, but our prices are based on a per 2 persons rate to be able to carry out any tour.
I am glad that you loved our boutique, rustic accommodations and as well so nice that you enjoyed the tranquility and relaxing ambience that surrounded you.
Happy to learn that you enjoyed time on the hammock and at our lakeside dock. Seems that we fulfilled much of your expectations, and we do hope to host you again on a return visit to Flores,Peten Tikal Guatemala.

Reviewed 14 April 2021 via mobile

We stayed three nights and the location of this hotel is gorgeous, in the middle of the lake Petén Itza in the department Petén of Guatemala. Our bungalow was really pretty with many comfortable details and at night we got always lighted candles at our beautiful terrace with Lake view. Also the stuff was incredibly nice and let us feel welcomed at any time. The mix of guatemalan typical food with an international touch was excellent. We want to thank everyone for making us feel so happy at our stay! It was the perfect getaway in these pandemic times! We recommend this place and can’t wait to be back for another beautiful stay!

Best regards

Sabine, Sissy & Dillard

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank binemal
Noe De La Rosa Morales, General Manager at La Lancha, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2021

Hi SabineM1532,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to leave such a great comment on us and your experience with us.
It gives us great pride to learn that you paid much attention to the very small details our staff did for you all.
Our kitchen staff loves cooking and make sure that our clients enjoy every meal and nice that you loved our mixture touch on typical and international dishes.
We do hope that this getaway was what you expected and we will be here to serve you and create memorable experiences for you, Sissy and Dillard
Best,