We took a shot in the dark in deciding on Bhu Nga Thani Resort and Spa in Krabi. The only deciding factor was that it was on Railay beach East which was less crowded than its western flank and Ao Nang to the north. We were not disappointed.
Just getting to the resort is a pleasurable experience - a flight to Krabi town then by road to Ao Nam Mao pier, then a tuk-tuk for the last mile to the boat (you can walk this too), then a long tail boat ride to Railay beach and finally a tractor-trailer to transport you and your belongings directly to the footstep of the hotel.
The hotel is in pristine surroundings - both ends flanked by towering cliffs that you can't help admire all times of the day and night. And the open sea out in front. Everything of importance is walkable or boatable.
The hotel room was magnificent. The standard rooms are in a ground +2 floor configuration and we took the top floor (there's a lift) which has splendid 360 degree views. The room is large and well-provided, decent aircon, a minibar, good plumbing and with a large size balcony with seating in front. There are ground level independent villas too but I doubt that they afford the views that you get from the top.
The service is a 50:50 experience. The front desk is extremely friendly and knowledgeble, going to great lengths to make you comfortable. A couple of them even escorted us on a shopping and sight-seeing trip after their normal working hours. The satisfaction ends there though. The restaurant is mostly staffed with people who do not speak English. Ordering breakfast can be a challenge. The housekeeping staff too does not understand basic instructions so all communication with them needs to happen via the front desk. But in Thailand you overlook all this when even the incomprehension comes with a genuine smile!
There is just one restaurant for all meals. The breakfast coud do with fresh juices and a choice of teas. The Thai lunch was very tasty and filling. The service is a bit slow but again on a holiday you don't mind. Besides there are dozens of restaurants at close walking distance.
The swimming pool and bar is delightfully located; you can see all passers-by on the outside from within the pool. The spa is well appointed. There is a shop which is opend only on demand and a small fitness centre, both we never tried because there is so much more to do outside. These are some absolute musts while at Krabi -
Pranang caves (nominal entrance fee)
Ao Nang for night shopping and seafood.
What we enjoyed the most was a cross-country trek from Railay East to Ao Ton Sai. It is quite strenous and could take up to an hour and we were delighted to accomplish it. Its not really difficult though it always appears so.
Bhu Nga Thani is a pleasurable resort, a place we feel we must visit again, good value for money and so much more to see and do!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Bhu Nga Thani Resort and Spa Set sail on a traditional long tail boat and putter through the calm turquoise waters of the Andaman Sea to the exotic and secluded Railay Bay. Sheltered by magnificent limestone cliffs and protected mangrove forest Bhu Nga Thani Resort & Spa is a hidden paradise where tranquillity and solitude awaits. This is just the beginning of an exceptional journey to an unforgettable place where romantics and families alike can relax, rejuvenate and feel free. The beautiful colonial style rooms and villas are furnished to delight with special features like private pools, outdoor showers and oversized sunken bathtubs. Relax by the seafront swimming pool, dine at the elegant restaurant, let your cares drift away at the pampering spa and take a scenic tour of Railay Bay to discover the pristine white sand beach, world class rock climbing and spectacular temple cave all within easy walking distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Bhu Nga Thani Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bhu Nga Thani Hotel Railay Beach
- Bhu Nga Thani Resort And Spa Krabi/Railay Beach, Thailand