All reviewsbreede riverswimming poolbreakfast and dinneroff the beaten trackenjoyed our staybeautiful surroundingsgravel roadgo the extra milecomfortable roomspool tablepeaceful stayholiday clublovely gardentea and coffeede hoop nature reservemealsboat
Reviewed 30 November 2017

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Accommodation is clean and comfortable in en suite rooms. Good "home-cooked" food - wholesome with the emphasis on traditional South African fare. Dinner, bed and breakfast rates are very reasonable - excellent value for money. The hotel is attractively situated on the banks of the Breede River and it is a fairly easy drive to visit De Hoop Nature Reserve and the Bontebok Park near Swellendam. The Malagas Hotel is good to visit to unwind, away from the hustle and bustle of town life.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms on the South Side are very private.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
ReceptionMalgas, General Manager at Malagas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time & trouble to write your review and for describing your stay as exactly as it is. Happy that you appreciated the tranquility of the conservancy surrounds and certainly hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 November 2017

We spent 3 nights here on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. The room was comfortable and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The gardens have seen better days, which is a shame - there is plenty of water! The location is very peaceful. The restaurant was very disappointing. They are exploiting the fact that they have a monopoly - it is 40 km on dirt roads to Swellendam and, as the ferry doesn't run at night, Witsand is not an option. The most people at dinner was 8 so you would think that the food would be lovely and fresh and where possible locally sourced. Instead it all seemed to be poorly heated frozen offerings. The plates were never hot and the food was luke warm. I would recommend that they focus on 3 good courses instead of 5 bad ones. The main course was the best each night but when we asked for gravy (on the menu but not served) because the pork was very dry we had to wait ages and then had to serve it with a spoon as it was too thick to pour (I think it may have been of the instant variety). The sauces (mushroom and pepper) also appeared to be of "add boiling water" origin. At breakfast the only honey was imported from China - and yet the little shop within walking distance sells local honey. They had no butter - the supplier hadn't delivered! One of the staff kindly fetched some from her own kitchen but that should never happen. We sat a bit late chatting with another couple over coffee one evening until at 21:00 the barman came and said we would have to go to our rooms as he was locking up the main building! So sadly I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
ReceptionMalgas, Manager at Malagas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Thank you for the review. As you know the whole of the Western Cape suffers from drought this year. Although we have a river running past the property it does not mean that we always have fresh water. As for locally sourced products, we cannot go driving around to different farms everyday to collect different items for the menu. Honey from China I have not heard of and we do not keep frozen meals in the kitchen. I will address the barman for closing early and it is a pity you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Rooms comfortable and clean, staff so helpful, friendly and accommodating. Food was tasty and the traditional dishes are a must try! Gardens lovely filled with bird life. A wonderful place to have some down time to recharge.

Room Tip: Ground floor easy access top floor good view of the river.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
ReceptionMalgas, Manager at Malagas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

We had a four night stay booked at the Malagas hotel, a Christmas gift from my grandmother, which she booked through The Holiday Club. We’ve stayed at several other resorts, booked through The Holiday Club, with no trouble in the past. The Malagas Hotel looked like a welcoming, tranquil getaway, which is why my girlfriend and I opted for this holiday destination.

Our experience was less than pleasant, to say the least. Our troubles started enroute to the resort, with an over forty kilometre, harsh dirt road leading to the destination. I had no idea the road was so harsh and was concerned that my car may be damaged. Nevertheless, we had already travelled over two hundred and fifty kilometres and we weren’t about to turn around so close to the destination. Less than five kilometres away from the destination, my tyre burst – this happened at around 2pm. My car uses “Run Flat” tyres, which would, under normal circumstances, still be able to run despite a puncture. Due to this feature, my car bears no spare tyre – it has no provisional space for it. The road was so rough, that it completely ripped through these Run Flat tyres, and made it unsafe to travel further, lest I risk damage to my rims. Since we were so close to the resort, my girlfriend contacted them for assistance, to which they responded that they were unable to assist – not even an offer to give us (or my girlfriend at least) a lift to the resort. We contacted several tyre companies in Swellendam (almost 50km away), which was the nearest town with such services available. We were stranded for about 2 hours before help arrived. We were fitted with a provisional tyre, so that we could travel the rest of the distance to the resort. I had to replace both my front tyres (which they only received stock of the following day). The tyres and call out fee ended up costing me just short of R10 000.00.
We arrived at Malagas Hotel at around 4:30pm. We checked in and unpacked. The accommodation seems to be an old Dutch-style farmhouse, which has been divided into apartments. The apartments seemed cosy and had a charm of their own. However, this setting, along with single ply toilet paper and a shortage of towel racks, makes it a far cry from a “Hotel”. Since the resort has a very strict non self-catering, we headed towards the restaurant for a bite to eat. I was shocked to see the exorbitant prices on the menu; the cheapest breakfast option was over R80, the cheapest dinner option was R140 and a toasted cheese & tomato sandwhich was just short of R50, to name a few examples and these do not include drinks. If you consider that the resorts is STRICTLY non self-catering and the nearest other restaurants are many kilometres of harsh dirt road away, you will realise that they have shamelessly monopolised the basic need to eat. The food was enjoyable, but not worth the price.
After our lupper, we headed back to the apartment and it was then that we only started to realise how bad the state of cleanliness was. The apartment had a double bed and two single beds. The double bed was riddled with tiny insects, which I can only presume to be bed bugs. Horrified, we lifted the duvet to examine the sheets. The sheets were covered in human hair. Examination of the single beds revealed the same. The hair varied in length and curliness, obviously belonging to different people. I can only conclude from this observation that the resort does NOT wash their bedding regularly, but allows multiple guests to sleep on the same bedding which, quite frankly, is absolutely disgusting. The state of the room’s cleanliness lead me to the conclusion that there was no quick fix the resort could do if I were to complain; the level of neglect implies that the other apartments would likely be in a similar condition. Since my car was without front wheels at the time, we decided to spend the night and leave as soon as the new tyres had been fitted the following day. We re-examined the beds, and chose to sleep on top of one of the single beds, with a blanket. This was, quite honestly, the lesser of three evils.

We woke in the morning to find ourselves covered in tiny itchy bites. We ate some snacks in the car for breakfast, which we had brought along for padkos – I did not want to eat their food again, as I was afraid that their kitchen may be in a similar state to the apartment. We found even smaller insects, hard to see with the naked eye, crawling on my girlfriend’s glasses and our phones. I imagine that the entire room must be infested with them and that we simply couldn’t see them on most surfaces; these were probably the culprits for the thirty to fifty itchy bites in which our bodies were covered. It was raining that morning and we noticed that the ceiling was leaking in two locations – one very bad leak over the couch and another smaller leak over the double bed. At this point, no new developments would have shocked us to be quite honest. The moment my new tyres were fitted, we checked out and left. The lady at reception, Beverley, whom had received us the previous day and knew of the car trouble we had experienced, didn’t bother to ask why we were checking out THREE nights early from our four night stay.

I trust that my account, and the pictures I have included as proof of my claims, will dissuade any that see it to ever consider Malagas Hotel as a holiday destination. I have never had such a poor experience in my life.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

I fully understand your frustration even before your arrival at the Hotel with your very unfortunate experience. Please understand the the road does not belong to the Hotel and in all of our directions and information we make sure to advise guests that it is a 38km gravel road to the Hotel.
Regarding the leak - we had most unusual heavy rains and if you advised us immediately we would have accommodated you in another room. However, thank you for notifying us so we can repair the leak.
I personally went to the room to inspect and no bugs were present in any of the beds. We are in a conservancy area and admittedly do have some bugs (muggies and other) around, totally harmless.
It seems like the bad start with your journey escalated to a very unpleasant breakaway, which should have been a tranquil break.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

What a shame. Dated. Badly maintained. Really bad food. They need to visit a few places to see how they can modernize whilst retaining the charm of the location. Nothing too drastic need s to be done. And dining wise - create a simple fresh limited menu as I appreciate sourcing ingredients must be tough given its location. Perhaps create an area where you grow your own vegetables?? Anyhow I don’t like to criticize, but we won’t return.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Toni1611

Our Style is Country Hotel and therefore try to keep to the theme. We do not want to modernize too much but there is always room for improvement and will see what we can do in certain areas of the hotel.
We are trying to grow some vegetables ourselves but it is not always as easy as it sounds. Our menu is constructed in a way to give guests a variety of choice since we only serve the set dinner menu in the evening.