“Falsely advertised”
Review of Mumbul Guesthouse

Mumbul Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 2 Anturan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Their advertising on booking.com was very misleading. The advertised "suite with 4 poster bed" was only a high ceiling room (with mosquitoes) with a mosquito net over the poster frame that was difficult to close up. The TV/DVD setup was very old, only 1 out of 10 DVDs I tried worked. It took some time to locate someone to get it going. The breakfast was a plain omelette and cup of tea. Any extras like toast were ridiculously priced (R35000 a piece of toast) by Indonesian standards. I would definitely NOT recommend this guest house. In my 17 trips to Indonesia, I would rate this accommodation as the most disappointing.

Room Tip: Be aware that you get what you pay for. In this case, it even falls short of that.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
mumbul, Owner at Mumbul Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2017

It was disappointing for all of us to read your review. I can only emphasize if you have any problems with anything at our place to let us know straight away so we can try to fix it straight away.

We have a long relationship with booking.com so I am not sure why you say our listing is misleading. In our newer rooms, we have 32 inch LCD televisions and in the older, but also cheaper rooms we have older style televisions. We also have a large flat screen television in the restaurant for guests.

We have fibre optic internet and most guests have laptops and tablets, so the DVDs are not as popular as they used to be. Many of our guests work online, so they enjoy the high speed internet.

Reviewed 4 February 2017

It was okay, not amazing. Rooms were huge with outside bathroom. Swimming pool didn't look that inviting, but i think the pump was switched off. Breakfast was reasonable, toasted sandwich was barely toasted. Not the greatest location down a dirt track with plenty of interested dogs. We had to run the gauntlet in the morning when making our way to the beach early hours for the dolphin boat trip. Not bad, but pretty sure you can get more for your money in a better location

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2016

Beautiful place to stay, clean and nice room. Breakfast and the foods from the restaurant was delicious with good price. For a small hotel they deserve five star hotel. The staffs and owner friendly.
I had a small guesthouse and been in Indonesia for 9 months for my work as a writer for one of travel magazine and for me this guesthouse is one of the best guesthouse in Indonesia. I can not imagine why some people still complain about this place? Why people want a five star room and 10 kinds of dishes for the breakfast in a small guesthouse? Why not go and book a five star hotel if you wish a luxury room with 10 to 20 kinds of dishes for breakfast?
This guesthouse is just a small guesthouse and standard price, but this hotel give a perfect service.
I was not happy with one of the guest because this guest was talking to me in the pool, this guest was staying in one of the family room for more than a month. But this guest was complaining and disturb me when I want to swim in the pool. She said bad things about this hotel, but I was wondering why she is staying still and do not move to another hotel?
When I do not like to stay in one place, I will change the hotel to another hotel and not complain and keep staying in the same place especially for more than a month??
This woman made me thing what I used to face 4 years ago when I had my guesthouse.
For people who come to Indonesia or Bali for your vocation, please be positive to enjoy your vocation. Do not complain if actually you enjoy it, do not make up a story if it is not true even if you do that to start a conversation to someone, do not show people that you are a stupid person with your complaining during your stay for a month??
A normal and healthy person will know that you have a personal or might be a mental problem if you complain but you still stay and enjoy swimming in the pool and pretend to be nice to the owner/ staffs when the owner/ staffs say hello or asked you if everything ok,. How could a normal or healthy people can pretend to be nice and smile and said yes everything ok, but being bitxxy ( say bad things behind them ) ?? It was my experience to stay in this guesthouse to learn more people who decide for traveling but do not know what exactly the meaning of traveling??
Anyway thank you for this guesthouse, I enjoyed my stay in this guesthouse, and wish I can come back to Bali again and stay in this place again and wish no more guest like the one I met :-)

Room Tip: The suite family room is the best view especially at night
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

It's a great guesthouse, even though its location is not central. We've stayed there twice - in June and July 2016. We've lived in all types of the rooms and our favourite was the new one two storeyed on the second floor. The new one on the first floor is also very nice, but the last one sometimes has problems with wifi signal. The new ones are modern styled and a bit business like. The old ones are spacious and family styled (with 3 beds - one for parents and two for children), seemed even more cozy though they are older. All the rooms have air conditioner, fridge and some of them even have their own router. The hotel wifi is great - 20 mbps - the best we've ever had in Indonesia. The breakfast was very tasty, and though the restaurant prices are a bit higher than in other local restaurants, we've never had any regrets about ordering there as the food was really delicious with huge portions. The territory is very beautiful overlooking the rice field. The pool is clean and refreshing. The staff is very nice and helpful. There are two cute friendly dogs - Yuki and Eby. And of course we'd like to say thank you to the greatest owners of this guesthouse Ammanda and Mike, who has helped us a lot! I think we've been their most problematic tourists (just to mention that none of the problems was because of the hotel)!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2016

We couldn’t believe the comments about the unfriendly Austrian owner, but trust me: him and his wife are not guest-minded, unfriendly and unflexible. This pressed the whole joy of staying. When we arrived the first question was if we could pay at once. Not a nice welcome. (As someone said earlier: we didn’t feel welcome).

The location of the guesthouse is very remote. Nice if you just want to hang by the pool or if you have your own transport. Otherwise you are very isolated. They have free bicycles to lent, as a solution. Note: there are only 2 bikes, on a first come base, so take them quick otherwise you are stuck. We wanted to use the bikes. One had a flat tire, which we needed to fill ourselves.

We booked a suite, but were placed in the deluxe room. This room is supposed to be more expensive and more luxurious, but it was not at all. It is smaller, doesn’t have a coach, sitting area or fan. The owner didn’t pay for the television, so we only had 3 local tell-sell channels. The bathroom smelled of sewer and if someone was smoking outside, the whole room smelled of smoke. The hot water only lasts for about 10 minutes. So if two people want to shower, you must plan carefully. WiFi in the room was miserable. So don’t get tempted to pay the extra for the deluxe.

Little plus: In the room was a little book in which the owner listed available tours, sights and activities. This was nice. There also was the menu, but we were not amused by the prices. It was way more than we paid at all our other stayes in Indonesia/Bali.

We planned on making daytrips around instead of staying in the room all day, so we could look passed all this. But at the breakfast we reached the limit. First morning we had an Indonesian style buffet, but it didn’t taste good and with little choice (all savory and spicy). Second day breakfast was on order. We heard they alternate the two. There was very little choice (it was OR omelette OR toast, not together) all extra’s were way overpriced (fresh fruit 60.000, bacon 50.000 and scrambled eggs 35.000). And not water!! When we asked if it was possible to get a toast with our egg, we got a firm ‘No that is not included’. Most impressive was seeing the owner and his familiy in the same restaurant with whole pots and pans with food in front of them.

All in all a big disappointment for us!!

Room Tip: Take the cheapest room: it doesn't get better by paying more.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anturan
2.5 km away
Santhika Bed&Breakfast
#2 of 41 in Lovina Beach
15.1 km away
Villa Lumbalumba Lovina Bali

Been to Mumbul Guesthouse? Share your experiences!