“Fantastic”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2017

We went here for Sunday lunch, on the recommendation of the owners of the villa we stayed in nearby.

It was easily the best meal we had during our stay in Italy. For the Sunday lunch (a very Italian affair), it's a fixed menu - basically you arrive, find plates and a nice bottle of red on your table, and from 1pm the food gets served very efficiently to you - silver service. And it keeps coming! We counted around 10 different courses - 5 appetisers, 2 pasta courses, 2 main courses and then desert, coffee and a shot of limoncello/grappa.

Every course was excellent - supplemented by the superb view from our table, straight across the hills.

We would happily have paid more than the very reasonable 30 euros per head, including the wine. The Buca for Sunday lunch is now an essential part of any future trip we make to the area!

Reviewed 31 July 2017

After exploring the Museo Michelangiolesco my friends had kindly booked me a table at Buca di Michelangelo and it was amazing.

Dining solo you sometimes get relegated to the cruddy tables but I got seated right in from of the large windows that look down the valley and boy it was spectacular.

Even better was the food. My friends had told me to have the mixed starter followed by the Gnocchi with Truffles and thats exactly what I had

The waitress had asked me if I wanted some wine and I of course said yes expecting a glass or carafe so when a full bottle arrived at my table it seemed rude not to drink it. I kinda panicked and thought it may be an expensive component of the meal but it actually turned out to be 3Euros for the bottle!!! It was local and it was GOOD.

If you look at the photos you can see that I enjoyed my meal and the view. The only downside was that I had to walk back to my friends villa which was about 5 miles away and the day was hot 30degreesC. At least I wasn't going to die thru lack of food or drink.

If you are in the area then it is well worth a visit to taste authentic local cuisine that is prepared with love.

Reviewed 13 December 2016

You really feel like being in one of those American movies making you dream of Italy at the times of De Sica : many tables in the nice dining room are for daily guests. There is normally some room left for 'visitors' and you may enjoy the very nice view.
Calm down when ordering, everything is tempting and served in very comfortable portions : you may not eat it all, which is frustrating.. Food is simple and nice. Fried mushrooms (porcini fritti) are delightfull. Don't expect too much from wines, but they are quite acceptable. Nice atmosphere, nice and honnest food. Who needs more?

1  Thank PierreGoloso
Reviewed 6 August 2016 via mobile

This restaurant was such a surprising delight! We found by chance after visiting the birthplace of Michelangelo museum. The service was friendly, food delicious, reasonably priced, with a beautiful view. I had the most delicious steak with truffles - not over cooked, tender and so yummy. Salad was excellent too. Everyone at the table was thrilled with their meal.

Reviewed 24 September 2015

This was our first experience of a full Italian meal and what a pleasure it was.
The setting is spectacular with an amazing view.
The food was rustic made from seasonal local ingredients and was absolutely superb.
The service was excellent.
Definitely worth a visit, but go there hungry.