“Beautiful Food, Excellent Service in Wonderful Surroundings”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Price range: US$14 - US$35
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visit the Black Horse for a meal at least twice per month. We visited again this Saturday evening on a cold, snowy night and were greeted by Michaela the owner who is always very welcoming. We were shown to our table immediately, which was located near to the log burner. We were soon lovely and warm. Lauren our waitress brought menus and took our drinks order. Our food and wine was excellent. I had a sirloin steak with peppercorn sauce and I can honestly say it was the best steak I have ever had. It was beautiful! The service was excellent and Michaela and her team cannot do enough for you. We visit a lot of restaurants and we believe that the Black Horse is the best in the area!

MicaelaBHLW, Owner at The Black Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Aww Thankyou David,
My whole team work really hard to ensure everyone’s visit here is enjoyable and it’s nice to know that it’s appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon. x

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Considering there were 3 sittings and we went at 4pm, the food and service were excellent. 6 of us enjoyed all 3 courses.

MicaelaBHLW, Owner at The Black Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Thankyou Lauren,
I’m so glad you enjoyed your meal here and hope to see you again soon.
Cheers Micaela

Reviewed 12 March 2018

So, for anybody who loves great food in restaurants, you really should avoid restaurants on celebration days, as they get over booked, food suffers and staff get stressed.
However, I traveled to Yorkshire to meet my family and my brother booked The Black Horse. I was apprehensive to say the least, but we arrived for their second sitting. VERY bravely the restaurant had 3 sittings through lunch !!!!!!
We had a drink at the bar, then made our way to the restaurant, which is a lovely room, simply decorated but comfortable and large tables
There were plenty of young staff, who made up with enthusiasm and smiles if not the 'best' waiters. Orders taken, drinks took slightly longer than they should, but the place was VERY busy and the lovely waitress did apologise
Starters were great. My vegetarian brushetta was nice and simple but the other start dishes looked amazing. The soup smelt great and the prawns HUGE and delicious ( I was told )
My main course, veggy sausages were amazing. Homemade, bags of flavour and served with bubble and squeak, cabbage and roast potatoes. The other main courses of seabass and roast beef were amazing !!! Piping hot, tasty and plentiful !
Separate veggies were served to share - my only niggle here would be the roast potatoes could have done an extra 10 minute sin the oven to get really crispy and maybe the other veg were slightly over cooked. However, the lovely waitress, saw the veg went down well and immediately brought more !
Service was speedy and the kitchen doors were flying off the hinges with food coming out and empty plates going back ! A great sign
It was VERY busy and the staff did look a tad stressed but they were all smiles and VERY VERY accomodating !
Desserts were again huge and delicious and the star of the show was the meriangue with cream and ice cream !!!!!
We were asked to have coffee in the bar as they needed the table back, but all done very politely
£190 for 6 with drinks, wine and 3 course by all !!!! A absolute steal ( and three free glasses of prosecco for the three mums at the table - another great touch ! )

I am by nature, a picky critic but this was top notch under incredible pressure ! Congrats The Black Horse, I hope you all managed a glass of fizz at the end of the day - a GREAT lunch

Thankyou for this wonderful review. As you say we were under a great deal of pressure this Mother’s Day but I am incredibly proud of how my young team pulled together and remained cheerful and helpful throughout a very long and tough day.
We hope to see you again on your next visit to Yorkshire.
Cheers
Micaela

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Firstly, this is not our first visit and it is somewhere we have recommended to friends..... but today was shocking.
Our table was booked for 4PM and as we had our severely disabled Dad and Mum with us, was very annoyed at not being shown to our table until 4:30PM. Hanging around it a bar/waiting room is not a good environment for 2 elderly disabled people. Once seated, another 35 minutes elapsed before we went to the bar and asked for some drinks.... no one had been to take an order. This prompted some service.... drinks arrived 15 minutes later.... 5 minutes after this, we were asked if we enjoyed our meal and would we like coffees??? What meal??? No food order had been taken... eventually.... an order was taken... 11 of us... 5 wanted lamb.... 2 wanted vegetarian... "sorry we've only got 3 lamb left"... "and we have no vegetarian option left, but you can have falafel"....
Then the roast beef arrived.... for someone else I assume, as our starters hadn't arrived yet....
I dat next to my Mother who was very upset that there was nothing else on the menu for me .... a situation which was made worse by the 4 apologies from the waiter.... and no matter how many times I told him to "leave it", kept coming back to me.... not his fault, he felt genuinely embarrassed. This came to a head when I was offered a Mediterranean veg pie "from yesterday"..... WHAT????
We were then asked by 3 more members of staff if we wanted drinks....
The lovely girl from earlier apologised and said "I've been sent to your table 4 times now".... again... very embarrassed.
The place just wasn't set up for this today. Very very annoyed.... 350 quid in their coffers for What?? Substandard food and service and I didn't get a main course...

Throughout all if this, not one person from management came to me...

It's the last 350 quid they will get from our family.

I am of course disappointed to read this review although I was half expecting it.
Mother’s day is traditionally the busiest day of the year for us and this year proved to be our busiest yet.
Your table of 11 was the last to be seated as I explained when I took the booking, we would have to push 3 tables together to accommodate your party so there may be some over run. Because of this yours was the last to order and as we had already served over 180 people there were always going to be some dishes that sold out earlier then others despite our best efforts.
I understand your frustration at not being offered the vegetarian dish that was advertised but my Assistant Manager did his best to offer you a vegetarian alternative but you refused the nut roast, the veggie burger and the Mediterranean Pie and kept saying it was ‘fine’ when clearly it wasn’t. I was kept informed of the situation but as my assistant manager had already offered you every alternative I instructed him to take your main course off the bill and just charge the starters and desserts as taken.
I was was dealing with another matter when your table came to leave or I would have spoken to you then but as another member of your party had already approached my assistant manager to apologize for your behavior I thought it was best to let it go.
I am sorry that you were disappointed yesterday but I am incredibly proud of how my team conducted themselves throughout this very long and busy service. All the other reviews regarding Mother’s day have been 5* and I received countless compliments on the day regarding both the food and service.

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

We went out of our way to go to this pub as it had great reviews so we decided to take a walk and have a late lunch. The barman was very welcoming and the food was delicious, however the manager came down during our visit and she was extremely rude and abrupt it was unnecessary. We won’t be returning because of her, she ruined the experience! Such a shame.

MicaelaBHLW, Owner at The Black Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

I have to say I am rather shocked and upset by this review as I feel it is completely unjustified. I only interacted with your party on a few occasions. The first time was when you had asked for some playing cards and I went upstairs to my flat and retrieved my personal pack from the suitcase on the top of my wardrobe. The next time was when you came to the bar to order food and I explained that we don't serve food between 3pm and 5.30pm but that I would check whether the kitchen could do it. (If the fryers had been turned off or the oven had been full of bread we wouldn't have been able to) as it happened the kitchen had just cooked mine and the barman's lunch so we were able to take the order and I did so. I later brought your food out and said to be careful as the plates where really hot. Maybe I came across as a bit abrupt then as my hands where burning but that's the only time I can think of that I could have seemed rude. At 5.30 pm the table you were sat on was booked out for a large party and if it had been possible to move them to a different table I would have but unfortunately not, so as they had arrived I came over to your table were you had been sat for a while with your coats on waiting for a taxing said "I'm really sorry but this table is booked out now. Could I ask you to move over to the sofas?" You all seemed fine about this and one gentleman in your party asked if he could buy the playing cards off me. I told him he could keep them but joked that he had to look after them because they'd been around the world with me. I consider this as going the extra mile for our customers but somehow this has been turned around to me being rude???
My barman later spoke to you while you were waiting outside for your taxi and told you there was room inside on the sofas but you said you were happy outside as some of your were smoking but that you'd had a really nice afternoon. We both feel that we had done everything possible to accommodate your group on Saturday and had provided our best customer service so we are both stunned by your comments in both of these reviews.