Captain Jack's Sunset Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, French, Italian, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

Amazing food, especially the half grilled tuna was just great. We loved captain jack too, he helped us get a very nice accommodation, listened to what we needed and wanted and even took time to find out the owners phonenumber for us.
It is a little bit more expensive than the rest of the town, but we believe it is well worth it, since you have a great atmosphere, food and wifi - so important when traveling in the wifi Sahara
Thanks for your help and your time Captain!

Reviewed 15 February 2017

We had a very interesting experience here, the food was good with lots of local characters I give it a must see.

Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

Nice place to hangout for lunch, dinner or just a drink. With view over the village and the portobelo bay. And very important.. great food!

Nice, english speaking staff and good wifi. Easy to find in portobelo and always in to hand our some information about the area or accomodatio around.

Will come back!

Reviewed 7 February 2017

Let me say the positives first:

The meal I had here was the best I've had during my travels in Panama, bar none. The place offers terrific atmosphere, too. I would have awarded the place four or even five stars were it not for the following experience:

At some point during the visit my waitress abandoned her post in the middle of her shift, and actually left the establishment in the company of some older fellow. I won't speculate any further.

Unfortunately, I eventually had to ask her young co-worker to clear my tab. Unfortunately she did not know how to use the credit card machine, and both she and the cook tried to figure it out. Eventually I was told that my card was being declined and I would have to pay cash. I was able to scrape together just enough cash to pay my bill.

Later, when I contacted my credit card company to inquire why my card was declined I found out that it was not. The transaction went through and I actually paid my bill twice, once on credit and once in cash (as I was told the credit card transaction was declined).

The young lady seemed very nice, so I don't believe I was deliberately scammed, but she was definitely abandoned by her co-worker and left in a situation she was not adequately trained to handle.

Captain Jack, whoever you are, perhaps it's time to take a more hands-on approach to running your business, because leaving it in in the hands of your unsupervised staff doesn't seem to be working out.

Your cook/chef, however, is top-notch, and full credit to her.

Jack V, Manager at Captain Jack's Sunset Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2017

My sincere apologies about this experience. I wasn't there so I can't speculate as to what the confusion was with the credit card transaction. The girl you're referring to is new and I'm not sure how she processed the transaction without knowing it or why or where she disappeared to. We don't believe in excuses so I can only lend my apologies for the hassle. Additionally, I would like to refund your money in full, not just for the double charge but for the original bill. Can you please send me the information from your credit card number including your name and the transaction number through private email? I will try to refund it and add a credit through the credit card company...If that doesn't work I'm happy to send it via Western Union. Again our sincere apologies. Please allow me to make it right. My email is info@captainjackpanama.com....or we can communicate through WhatsApp at 50768817340.... Thanks Jeff Brainard/Manager/

Reviewed 6 February 2017

This is a great location to eat, drink and to internet! If you walk a little further up the road, that is the trail of the Camino Real that the gold and silver arrived from Central and South America.
Cheers,