1,286 results
All reviewssausagecountry parkcraig y noswedding venueghost tourdog friendly hotelbar areabridal suitewedding breakfastevening mealgroupon dealghost huntold buildingwelsh cakesdog ownerspatti barself service
Reviewed 27 September 2017

There's loads to say about our short stay here, so I'll try and cover everything useful. I'll go PROS and CONS - there are way, way more PROS than CONS. It's a great place to stay, especially with dogs.

PROS
The building is beautiful, utterly stunning.
It's in a beautiful part of the world and stands in it's own wonderful grounds which you can explore at your leisure - dogs will love it.
We were in room A35. It was on the first floor. Lots of room for 2 adults and 2 Labradors.
Lots of storage space to put stuff away and nice big bathroom. (Yes, it's dated, but all perfectly adequate and spotlessly clean).
All the girls we met working there were excellent. Their customer service skills second to none. I don't have all their names but Cath at breakfast was so friendly and helpful. (Apart from one encounter - see below)
Evening meal and breakfast were great. Very, very nice food. Plenty of choice and all good.
Bar area where we could eat with the dogs was very cosy and welcoming.

CONS
We were on the first floor and the stairway was quite narrow when you've got bags and 2 dogs.
WIFI - none in the room, only in the bar area. This was a nightmare for us as we had no phone coverage in the room. I'm used to hot and cold running Wifi so it was a bit of a pain.
Not the hotel's fault but there were a couple of dog poos in the seating area outside. Guests at fault, but still it was a bit grim for us religious 'pooper scoopers'.
The water was too hot in the shower. I actually burnt my arm on the pipe. It should be boxed or insulated really.
The bill - I paid for our food and drink at the end of the stay. When I got out to the car I noticed that the bill was wrong, it was too little. It appeared that the food for the second night had been missed. So in I troop to make the extra payment not wanting anyone to get into trouble or the hotel to lose out. However, the lady on reception was less than helpful, (I'm not good at accents, but she may have been South African possibly). She went off looking for a sheet from last night. In the meantime one of the girls from reception came back, simply asked me what we'd eaten, tallied up the menu and said it was X amount. The other lady came back and said, no it's wrong. There are more drinks to go on the bill. Then told me I was wrong. Then asked me to pay for cake and coffee on arrival on Sunday, when we actually arrived on Monday and didn't have any cake or coffee. She then disagreed about something else. I must admit I was utterly dumbfounded, bearing in mind I came back to rectify their mistake. At no point did she apologise. The other girl on reception tried to smooth things out and did apologise. The other lady needs to take some lessons from the young ladies working in the bar and restaurant and on reception. Anyone can make a mistake, it happens all the time, however, how it's handled shows the class of the establishment and the people working there.

Other than that we would happily stay again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
MichaelLudwig, Manager at Craig-y-Nos Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Thank you for your feedback it is great that you found the Castle to be beautiful and that you found the room clean and large enough to accommodate you. It is also great that you found the staff hard working and with good customer service skill and to name but a few is indicative of the good impression left on you. It is also good that you enjoyed your evening meal.

Sadly, the internet speed in the area is generally slow and despite all the door hammering we do, it seems to be taking an age to increase and putting wifi in the rooms will make the slow internet non existent sadly, hence the availability only in the public areas. I shall speak to our Maintenance team about the water, although I am aware that it is under scrutiny.

It is unfortunate that you morning encounter with our FOH Manager did not go down to well, if only that possibly half the issue was exacerbated by the information being unavailable from the night before, but it was good that our Receptionist was clearly able to work out what was eaten and to charge you the correct amount – sadly, staff should not dispute things with guests to the degree you mentioned, not least to almost dispute it between each other. As you say it is almost not the mistake that causes the issue but the handling of the situation and am sure with our up coming Customer Service Courses, we can iron these small things out.

It is good though that you would still return.

Regards

Reviewed 27 September 2017

Just returned from a 3 night at the Castle.
Found it a Great Venue, Staff 1st class, Food V.G.
We had a court yard room which was excellent only problem the flush on the toilet was faulty did report it but not fixed.
Hotel itself out in the wilds of Brecon Beacons, no mobile signal, and wifi not working.
Hot tub was also out of order.
Hotel tour was very good lasting almost 2 hours.
Hotel welcomes dogs and there is a large country park next door.
Our dog wanted to stay longer!
Will we return YES!!!!!!

Room Tip: Court yard rooms are good for dogs
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, it is great you enjoyed your stay and found food and service to be great. Not sure of the non functioning flush, but will alert our maintenance to have a look at it. It is unfortunate that an electrical fault has put the hot tub out of order, and it may well be that a new one will be purchased if we cannot resolve the issue. Glad your don wanted to stay longer and you will also return, not least it is pleasing you enjoyed the tour.

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

Was so looking forward to visiting this castle was so disappointed not at all value for money in fact rather expensive for what we got. We have stayed in many hotels over the years and I think this comes at the top of the list for being one that I certainly will not be revisiting. The saving grace is that all the staff were very helpful and made you feel welcome.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DawnDec1956

Thank you for your recent comments. The Castle charges £140 midweek at £150 at weekends and for weddings under most packages at £75 per person. This is indicative of the rates that you would pay in a Castle in a location such as the Brecon Beacons for B & B. We also offer discounts on accommodation midweek, and for weddings subject to availability we offer a special rate for the night before. All our rooms have the usual facilities you would find and we have free wifi in our public areas. A 2 hour history tour is also provided free when staying midweek.

As you have not indicated specifically where you felt there was no value for money, I am unable to respond fully and you may like to contact me direct.

It is though pleasing and appreciative of your positive comments about the staff, and I hope the wedding ran smoothly.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

This place is great and old with character and great places to visit if you like walking and waterfalls, the staff were friendly and helpful and the food good wonderful grounds. If you want a chilled break then this is the place

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Your comments are much appreciated – great venue, great places to go, great staff and great food – what more could you ask for.

Thanks

Reviewed 26 September 2017

A beautiful building in beautiful countryside, the staff are very friendly. My husband and I went for a quiet get away, there are plenty of walks along the river and beyond.

Tea was served in the Dinning room, the bar was a little more cosier. The food quality was very good and delicious.

Would definitely recommend this Hotel for dog lovers, where even the dogs get a bed!

Room Tip: our room looked over the front, the traffic is non existent in the evening
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your great comments. It is good to hear you enjoyed the Castle and food the food was good and you received a friendly and warm welcome from our staff.