“3 hour wait for a poor Sunday roast!”
Review of The Coy Carp

The Coy Carp
Ranked #115 of 152 Restaurants in Uxbridge
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Coy Carp offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We visited at 6pm on a Sunday as a group of 8. Upon arriving we were told that half of the roasts were off the menu and there would be at least a 30 minute wait on everything else. We ordered starters to fill the time and they took well over an hour to come! Very slow service and our waitress then disappeared, so all drinks were ordered down at the bar thereafter. 1.30 hours in, we were told that there had been a mistake in the kitchen and a “fresh” joint had only just gone into the oven... Food came out around 9pm, with no real acknowledge or apology at the time. Roast Potatoes and veg were rubbery and clearly reheated, minimal gravy served with the meal (more came but only after we’d finished!) and the beef was over cooked, chewy and a shocking quality.. Not a great experience all round except one of the waiters, who was apologetic in the end (he did suggest that we should have given up waiting and went for a proper dinner at the Old Orchard, just up the hill from the Carp!) Probably worth waiting until new management takeover or trying somewhere else!

4  Thank jameseY126XC
General Manager A, Manager at The Coy Carp, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Jamesey126xc, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around.

We are currently recruiting for the summer and have a new Head Chef and Assistant Managers starting this month so I hope you give us another try in the future to see that we can make the Coy Carp great again

Reviewed 23 March 2018

This used to be a lovely pub, and enjoys a great location, but the garden/terrace is dirty, bins are overflowing, tables unwashed, litter abounds, and obviously no one cares for the place. The owners Vintage Inns presumably don't check the state of the pub. What a waste! I wont visit again until the owners/management changes...

3  Thank Ian M
General Manager A, Manager at The Coy Carp, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Hello Ian,
I am so sorry to hear of your experience! During Summer time our garden area is under constant care and attention as people love to spend their time in the warm weather and lovely sun! The rainy British weather does make it difficult to keep on top of the cleaning due to unpredictable showers and everything that comes with it! However, you have raised a very valid point and we will keep an eye out for this in the future, thank you for your review and we do hope to see you very soon!

Thanks

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I'm sorry but you need to get more staff and more chefs! The service on Mother's Day was absolutely awful, the worst I've ever received to be honest.
I had my 1 year old little girl with me, we booked for 7:30, didn't get seated until 7:50 and then our food came out cold at 8:50.. and my mum paid extra for brocolli and that didn't even come out!! The girl that came to bring the food said she would bring it out as a side but that didn't even get brought out , we mentioned that at the end and the lady said she'd take it off our bill, but that wasn't the point.. she wanted it with her meal.. there was a boy at the bar that was on his second day working there and didn't even know how to pour me a vodka with Diet Coke, I felt sorry for this boy as he was trying to ask for help but all the other staff just looked unhappy and miserable he looked scared to ask for help! Sorry but this isn't on and I expect an explanation for this.. my meal alone was £17, i complained and I didn't even get an apology!!!! My daughter was restless and activated by the end of the evening and I could see that a lot of other customers were unhappy. The atmosphere from the staff was just terrible and just made the customers feel worse. Avoid at every cost!!!

5  Thank RosieMx

Hi Rosiemx, we can assure you that we do not find this type of behavior acceptable, and we would like to address the situation you have described.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We have eaten at the Coy Carp on a few occasions and always left happy. Sadly our Mothers Day visit can only be classed as "disaster". The restaurant suffered complete melt-down!
Our booking was for 4.45 and as we arrived there was a queue of people having checked in but still waiting to be seated. Some complained of having been waiting nearly 45 minutes. Then a number of diners walked out urging us to go, saying it was awful, and that they were leaving without paying because it was so bad. After 45 minutes we were seated but then waited a further hour for food! Our starter was inedible, at which point we joined a queue of folk demanding a refund of our deposit. We felt sorry for the harassed waiters and waitresses who had to bear the brunt of so many complaints. We believe the restaurant is part of a chain; if so there needs to be Head Office investigation into this appalling mess for what should have been a happy Mother's Day occasion.
Sadly we will not go again.

5  Thank jmoore321

Hi Jmoore321, we can assure you that we do not find this type of behavior acceptable, and we would like to address the situation you have described.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

If I could give this no stars it still wouldn't be low enough, we waited 2 hours for starters that were either burnt tasteless or cold. I ordered the scallops with black pudding and minted pea puree, the black pudding was like three pieces of charcoal, the scallops were also burnt and the minted pea puree was just mushy peas and vile. The main wasn't much better, two of us had roost beef and two fish and chips. The potatoes with the beef were soggy, the beef was sub standard and the Yorkshire pudding was burnt. The fish was like something from the Tesco value section and also soggy. The poor wait staff were run ragged and had been left grossly understaffed and from what I heard they only had 2 chef's on for the busiest day of the year.

4  Thank xmialoux

Xmialoux, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate the chance to turn your experience around.