“Good food and fantastic views”
Review of Sandbar

Sandbar
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Praa Sands
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A relaxed beach bar/restaurant set right on Praa Sands beach with fabulous views from our bar, restaurant and large patio. Serving a variety of mainly English food with a Mediterranean twist, and a good range of beers, wines, teas and coffees. We are child and dog (on a lead please!) Friendly, serve food all day, and have a very popular Sunday Lunchtime Carvery with live music. We also cater for Wedding receptions and other private parties in our beachside lounge area.
Reviewed 6 May 2018

We visited the Sandbar three times while staying in Praa Sands. The food was first class on all occasions but there were a few down sides.
The place has seen better days and would benefit greatly from a complete clean-up/refurb. Food prices were a little steep, but the drinks were really expensive. I suppose that's what you get from being the only place for miles around.
It depended which staff were on duty as to how friendly they are. I always base my tip as a per-centage of the bill depending on the service and it varied for all three occasions.
Having said all that (and if you can put up with the dogs, the occasional surly staff member etc, this is a good place to eat with stunning views across the bay.
(Problems with ratings box again. I give it 3 for service, 5 for food, and 4 for value)

Reviewed 16 April 2018

The Sandbar is in a prime position on the beach but it's such a shame that it's so dirty. We were in there recently and wanted to sit on the sofa but it was absolutely covered in crumbs etc and the table had what looked like bits of coleslaw on it. I don't think I've ever seen a table being cleaned in there. They just don't seem to care and have no idea of hygiene.
Last summer the tap in the ladies loo was out of order. Eventually I noticed the disabled one and so used that as tap was working. I'd seen the staff go into the ladies and come out back to their work and I just wondered about their non-handwash and food ..... We don't eat there anymore. Very expensive too, not as it used to be.
There is a table game in there also where saucer like things are slid across the table and it is SO SO NOISY that if it's being used we just don't stay or go outside if warm enough.
I watched a family come and go recently after eating and the dishes were cleared after a bit but not wiped at all.
Last summer also the outdoor bin was full to overflowing and don't think it was emptied for several days.
The staff shouldn't 'need' to be told about cleanliness but there they obviously do.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

After reading earlier comments about Sandbar at Praa Sands we were hesitant at visiting but needs must when walking and your nearby... Anyhow, pleasantly surprised by lack of dog smell (although 3 or 4 were present) I often prefer dogs to humans but they refrain from posting reviews for some reason? The décor seemed ok ... and we had a nearby table full of surfers who turn into comedians when out of water ...entertainment !! Service was efficient and friendly and the food was fine - not gourmet but really tasty and good. Drinks are too expensive and because of this we left after meal and accompanying drink (Cider / Coke / Lager) more reasonable priced drinks might get people in and create a buzz / atmosphere?? Try it Sandbar - I've seen it work ( might also keep the barman off his mobile for a bit )... nice place - lots of potential.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

When you eventually get served make sure you have plenty of money prices are extortionate, it’s grubby and no entertainment. Avoid as you are missing nothing.

2  Thank MAGT_9
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve been going here every year. Unlike what other writers say, it has not gone downhill and it is still a friendly pub with some of the best views around, of the beach and sea. It has a great outdoor terrace with good views and a very relaxed atmosphere. There is free customer parking for about 16 cars.

The 4* instead of 5 is because the menu has a very limited choice really, a wider choice would easily get it 5*.

A great pub overall and fun to visit.