“Ghetto "resort"”

Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I have been diving for 26 years and I have stayed at many dive resorts around the world in various developing countries (Central America, South America, Egypt) and none have been as overpriced and in such terrible shape as Fantasy Island!
FOR THIRTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS PER GUEST in a DOUBLE ROOM, I expected much more from this place. For anyone to say that the island is Third World and use that as an excuse for the terrible experience that is known as Fantasy Island, well, that person is a shyster!!!!!!!!
When we checked into our room, my boyfriend and I were extremely happy with the view from the deck. That was a priceless view and the only redeeming quality of the whole "resort"! However, when we tried to open the sliding door to the deck, it was nearly impossible because the door didn't have any rollers!!!! We had to use soap and lubricate the tracks to get the door to open!!!!! If my boyfriend didn't open the door whenever we wanted to go outside, I never would have been able to open the sliding door myself!
There was a leak from the toilet above our toilet; this leak caused the sheetrock to peel away. It takes a while for sheetrock to peel away! There was a towel bar directly underneath this leak so our towels were always soiled. We had to check out beach towels from the front desk so we wouldn't be using nasty towels after we showered. The maid would also put our clean toilet paper on top of the toliet, so it too would get all soggy and nasty. We went to the supermarket and bought our own CLEAN AND DRY toilet paper!
The shower leaked all over the bathroom floor, which was a joke because there barely was any water pressure to speak of! There was no showerhead and the water would fluctuate between scalding hot and freezing cold and there was often no in-between temperature.
Our toilet often did not work; whenever I told the front desk to take care of it, the toilet was fixed promptly, so I'm glad that the management took that seriously.
The sheets on our bed were only changed twice during our 9-day, 8-night stay! Thank God I speak Spanish because I had to personally ask the maid to change the sheets!
There was only one comforter in the room and it smelled like it had never been washed in its 30-year lifespan. I never had a full night's sleep. I would wake up every 2 hours itching and scratching everywhere. In the morning, we would be covered in bites! Were they fleas or bedbug bites? It was nasty so we left everything in the garage the night we got home and then I washed everything on the sanitary cycle of my washing machine to ensure that we didn;t bring home any hitchhiker bugs!
When we were trying to unpack our suitcases and put our clothes in the rickety, broken down 4-drawer dresser, there was a HUGE cockroach in the 2nd drawer! I personally went down to the front desk and asked for some spray to use in the room and the girl at the front desk just shrugged. Nothing was done about the roach, so we kept our clothes in our suitcases the whole time. And we kept the suitcases as far as we could from the bed in case the bed was infested with fleas or bedbugs.
The buffet food was terrible. There was not a care about sanitation. I can't believe that food was out in the open and there wasn't anything to keep flies from landing on the food that was being served. After suffering through nasty food for 2 days, I had enough of the flies and who knows what other bugs were in the food! We rented a car and ended up eating 3 meals a day at other places on the island!
WE ENDED UP SPENDING AN ADDITIONAL $1,500 BECAUSE WE HAD TO RENT A CAR AND LEAVE THE RESORT SO WE COULD EAT FOOD AT OTHER RESTAURANTS SO OUR STOMACHS DIDN'T KEEP TURNING! The 2 days we ate at the resort we felt sick to our stomachs! Once we stopped eating at that nasty resort, our stomachs were fine!
I used to live in South America and I have travelled extensively in all of Latin America, so I know the difference between poor food preparation and stomachs having to get adjusted to the local food. FANTASY ISLAND's food preparation was unsanitary and unpalatable!!!!!!
The bartenders were nice but they often ran out of tonic water. Considering the fact that we didn't drink any alcoholic beverages, it was pathetic that we had to go to the supermarket and buy our own tonic water to keep in our mini-fridge. If we were big drinkers, we would have enjoyed the all-inclusive alcohol choices.
The only saving grace to the whole ghetto "resort" experience was the dive shop crew. Darren and Miguel and the boat captain of Lil Dev were awesome. They were very friendly and made sure the divers on the boats felt comfortable.
However, the "resort" is located on the windward side of the island and most of the good diving in Roatan is done off the West End and West Bay. The diving near Fantasy Island is mediocre; however, the diving off the East End is much better than that near the "resort."
My boyfriend and I are exasperated by the amount of money we had to spend to ensure a good time. Since we were going to an all-inclusive and friends said the place was good, we weren't expecting to dish out so much additional money to make sure we didn't die of food poisoning. If we had more money, we would have checked out of the hotel and gone to another resort.
We have done a lot of travelling together and we always enjoy ourselves. However, it's terribly sad that we were actually excited about going back to the States so we could get out of that rathole! This was the first vacation that truly disappointed us. With the amount of money we spent on this trip, we could have gone on a 5-star trip to another Caribbean destination and not been disappointed.
Roatan is a fantastic island and that's why I was looking forward to making my second trip
to the island. However, if I ever went back to the island, I would make sure we stayed at another resort, such as Coco View or Anthony's Key!!!!
Don't waste your time and money like we did! Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank watergirl_73_2011

Reviewed 30 June 2011

It's located on its own island, nice because its away from everything. The rooms were average. The food was NOT good at all. Some of the staff were nice and helpful, a few when asked for something either didn't know or took their time getting what ever I needed. I toured the island and found better deals for about the same price. My advice please shop around, we paid way too much for this so called "resort".

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank ojitos_verdes80
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Returned from FIBR, 7 days of diving on 05/29-06/03/2011. As Det. Joe Friday would say..."just the facts maam".
Pros:
1. The diving was fair to good. Very rough seas first 3 day, smooth remainder.
2. Kevin, our boat captain was very helpful and drove a safe boat, was very attentive helping divers off/on the boat, and had plenty of fresh fruit and cold water post dive.
3. Our boat was the Mallorca and is 6 months old. Nice boat.
4. The room a/c were quiet and were very cool.
5. The bar attendees were always ready to please and had a smile to boot.
6. The beach areas were nice, clean and well maintained.

FIBR is in a state of on going repair/renovation and has a very long was to go!
To be fair it appears they are working very slowly to make improvements. There is a lot of bait-and-switch tactics going on. The wifi thing, promised dive log copies, a lot of he said-she said stuff. Believe about half of what you here, verify everything.
Cons:
1. The food sucked! When you look forward to chicken nuggets and French Fries well..."Houston they have a problem".
2. The resort water supply is not potable "don't drink the water". Drinkable water is provided via water pitchers stored in mini frig and you must ask for refills.
3. The staff is definitely on Island time and were very disorganized! There was no welcome briefing, we had to ask about everything. Check-in was a Three Stooges Event.
4. Our first room was in a state on disrepair, many problems. Moved to the 400 series room which was better and were next to the boat dock. It had problems but was better.
5. The statement on FIBR's web site says "wifi throughout the resort". Throughout the resort means just in the main lobby!
6. Our divemaster was friendly, but he was more intersted in killing Lion fish than attending the dive group. The diver/divemaster ratio was 16:1, whats wrong with this picture? Maybe PADI need to have a talk with this gentelman. He was usually first on the boat sucking down the fruit and water.
7. The dive Pro and gift shops was under staffed. Had to ask for entry into Pro shop often or they were "out to lunch".

FIBR has great potential, however they need to stand down, do the renovations and get their act together. We will never return to FIBR!
Recommendation: Don't go here.

Room Tip: If you go, ask for the 300 or 400 # rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank sts51lchallenger
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Had a great time celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary with a two week stay. Long time customers, we've been visiting a couple of times a year since 1997. Seen lots of changes over the years, but always the same great diving, and attentive staff.

Had the opportunity to visit with the new/returned owner, love the changes and the attention to the updates. Great to come in from diving and have a hot shower before going off to the palapa for lunch everyday.

Room was comfortable, updated with new ac, fan, paint, linens, TV, shower, inroom safe deposit boxes, and even new card door locks. Public areas have also been updated, and the changes/updates and improvements continued during our stay.

All inclusive includes meals, boat dives, shore dives, and beverages (including alcohol).

Staff at the Resort and Dive Shop were friendly, attentive, helpful, and wanted to make sure we had a great time, again!

Can't wait to plan our next trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Randy_and_Kae
Reviewed 25 May 2011

we went on our honeymoon there. Had a good experiance. Although it was expensive it did come with all meals. We were looking for privacy and got it. Awesome scuba pacage and views. Check out plane underwater. We payed $400 a nite but had fun. Too much fun because we had a daughter 9 months later

• Stayed: June 2010
19.3 km away
Henry Morgan Beach Resort
19.8 km away
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!