“Don't Believe the Negative Reviews!!”

Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I was considering going to Roatan for vacations with my girlfriend, my budget was not high enough for the expensive hotels (Mayan Princess, Henry-Morgan). I make my research and found about this hotel, reading the reviews of the past travelers i found myself very dissapointed because most of them were negative! I had to make a decision, so i took the risk and went to Fantasy Island Resort. Expecting the worse (bad food, ugly rooms, bad Staff) i found paradise! The food was delicious Chicken, Pork, Fish, Beef, Salads, Soups,etc. The Room was perfect, Incredible Staff, Great Bar!!
The Beach is something that you would never forget, the wildlife (Monkeys,Guatuza,Crabs,Indian Peacock,Iguanas) was a bonus! I didn't want to leave the place. Best Vacations Ever!

(Review from a Honduran)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank RARSX

Reviewed 10 April 2012

First, my apologies to Gustav for the delay in writing this review. My girlfriend and I stayed at Fantasy Island from March 16-25, 2012. Upon arriving at the airport we were relieved that the resort's transportation was there waiting for us. A short 15min or so drive afterward brought us to the resort. We were greeted by the warmest smiles (Sherry and Norman) and a wonderful juice cocktail to quench our thirst. Our room was # 217 and had a beautiful view of the water. The room was extremely adequate, with ample AC and a room safe. Though not a Four Seasons, we were impressed with the cleanliness and beauty of our surroundings. We soon made our way to the Dive Shop to schedule dives and arrange certification for my girlfriend. The dive shop was fantastic and each day we went on the best dives that I have ever been on. Quite a treat for my girlfriend to have her first dives in one of the best spots on Earth! A big thank you to Nelson, my dive master for teaching me how to spearfish. I caught at least 10 lion fish. Lion fish, for those not aware, are not indigenous to the Caribbean,, and are wreaking havoc on the ecosystem. The meals were great, with ample supply of extremely tasty preparations of fish and chicken. We did venture out a few nights to Gio's (AWESOME seafood) and to the West End and West Bay areas for food and fun, which we both highly recommend. Regardless, Fantasy Island provided great food, and neither uof us suffered and gastric distress. I was worried based on some of the reviews I read here, but found that all of them are baseless and inaccurate. The staff were all extremely friendly and we felt safe at all times. As such, we plan on bringing our children on our next vacation, hopefully in December of this year. The grounds are meticulously kept and the flora and fauna are amazing. I actually made friends with one of the monkeys there. The first morning I gave him a few almonds, so for each morning after, he would be there near the door waiting for me. I would hold my arm out, then he would climb up to my shoulder and walk with me to the dive shop. I miss that little monkey :)! All in all, it was hands down the best vacation that either of us have ever had. We have both been all over Europe and the Caribbean, and for the value, Fantasy Island is a guaranteed hit! Thanks to all of the staff and Gustav the owner for their hospitality. We have already recommended to all our friends and will be back in December.

Room Tip: Our room was #217. Not close to the dive shop, but if you have no difficulties walking for 3min, no...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Todd B
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We just finished a month at the Fantasy Island Resort Marina on Roatan. What a beautiful and fascinating place. The marina is well-run and the dockmaster and his wife provide everything a sailor could hope for in a marina. There are lots of activities for cruisers and life is serene here.

Although we stayed on our boat at the marina, we became very familiar with the all-inclusive hotel/resort. This resort occupies a small island accessed from Roatan by a bridge. A guard at the bridge gives a level of security, although the island is easily reached by a small boat. However, we never had any security problems here. The hotel itself is designed in a way that gives each room a great view of the ocean. It's a short walk from anywhere on the island to the beach and the hotel lobby. The property is in need of some attention. It's an aging property that suffers from deferred maintenance. However, the location is so beautiful and the staff is so friendly that it somehow makes up for the maintenance issues. The room charge includes all meals and some drinks. Most of the guests are from Central America although we have seen a few North Americans as well. Lots of families with small children. Fantasy Island is also a stop for many of the cruise ships that visit Roatan and often there are large groups here just for a day to enjoy the beach and the snorkeling/diving facilities.

Interesting and exotic animals roam the island, including monkeys, peacocks, large iguanas and a strange little animal that appears to be a cross between a rat and a rabbit. The locals say it is related to the guinea pig.

We will definitely return here if we have a chance. Fantasy Island is a beautiful destination.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have a great view of the ocean. Second story near the lobby would be a good choic...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FirstMate2011
Reviewed 7 April 2012

It has been a couple years since my wife and I traveled here. We mainly went for the diving and it was a good price. The rooms weren't bad, but we were not looking for the Ritz Carlton. At the time the place seemed a little run-down and one of the staff advised us that they were in the process of changing owners. There was alot of wildlife on the property which was really cool, but the monkeys DO get annoying after a couple days. Be careful of what you leave on the balcony, because the monkeys WILL steal it. The dives were good, and they also offer shore diving which is cool too. Alot of the buffet staff seemed unhappy, but whatever. Check more recent reviews for a more up to date rating...hope this helps

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kingpinky
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The only nice thing I have to say about this place is the snorkeling. I was served raw chicken for lunch and I don't think the staff knows how to smile.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Mayoka Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Sandy Bay
19.3 km away
Henry Morgan Beach Resort

Been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!