“Changes in the Wind”

Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in French Harbour
Reviewed 18 May 2007

There some changes in the wind at Fantasy Island. Many of the staff, whom I met last year, voiced their displeasure with the new owners. Several of the staff have already made plans to leave.
This is my second trip to Fantasy Island. Last year the pool was under construction and this year the pool was unuseable. The water was murky and uninviting, when i asked the pool maintenace staff why, they told me that the management would not buy new filters for the pool?
Now for the good parts.
The food was well prepared, tasted good, good variety, and plenty of it.
The rooms were just what you expect in a dive resort, adequate, comforttable, and clean.
The dive operation is well run with quality boat captains and dive masters.
The diving is awesome. Everything from eels, to sea horses, to rays, to lobsters, to Octopi, crabs and of course the beautiful coral reefs and walls

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank Bill M

Reviewed 20 April 2007

We recently visited Roatan. Beautiful Island but horrible resort. There was some really good references on the internet about Fantasy Island but something sure has changed since they were there.

The pool was closed on our 2nd day & had algae growing. They claim there is a swim up bar but no one was bartending on the day we were lucky enough to have the pool. EVER! They ran out of ice on the 2nd day of our stay and never obtained anymore.

The room we stayed in was filthy the entire week even after speaking to the manager.

This place was so bad it gives the whole Island a bad name. I dont have enough time to tell you about the rude staff, oh and the island music played each afternoon as part of the activies was the same CD for six days.

ON a good note there are plenty of other places to stay and wow what a beautiful place. Ocean like cool bath water. Awesome!

• Stayed: April 2007
5  Thank staceyUtah
Reviewed 27 March 2007

Wow what can i say....this was an EXCELLENT Dive vacation! We booked through Cardonna Dive Adventures and they did an excellent job....

We flew from Calgary to houston and then to Roatan (through TACA). the flight was fine and comfortable.

The airport was small so it was busy! The very nice gentleman meeting us from Fantasy Island flagged us down and took care of our luggage....
Easy Peasy!
We arrived at fantasy island resort at about 6pm, so it was dark, was a little disappointed in that but i would explore more in the morning!

We were meeting some friends there and they had been there all day so they could tell us about the resort (They will also put a review on here so I will not put their opinions down).

We checked in and met up with our bags at our room.

We got a new room in the 100's. This had a balcony overlooking a beach and was AWESOME! Very big and very very clean.
The room was great as was the balcony, the only thing was the air conditioner was noisy, but we discovered that letting it blow for a half hour before bed would be good for the whole night! it didn't bother us at all. One other little tid bit here is that we had a king size bed, however the kind size sheets flung off within about 10 min of getting into bed...we thought maybe it was just that set but nope we had this problem every night. this was a very minor problem and had no affect on our sleep (very very comfy bed).

The next morning at 8:00 was our dive orientation. This is where we met Robert. Let me tell you Robert runs an A+++++++ Dive shop! He got our cert cards and had everyone who wanted to dive at 9 on their boats. I had been sick for the past week so was worried about equalizing and husband and I wanted to work on our buoyancy, so we told Robert just that and he suggested a shore dive. PERFECT! so went and got our dive stuff from the room and went to the dive shop he was there and got us our weights and told us the little boat would take us and our equipment / tanks to the gazebo.
They drop you off and you go at your time. Adrian (hubby) realizes that something is squealing on his regulator, so he runs it over to the dive shop and they lend him one of theirs.
We then did our shore dive to the wreck and plane. Was great! Equalized just fine....worry is now over... :)
once we get out we call the dive shop and they come back with the boat and pick us up. WOW soooo easy!

All through the week we logged 15 dives and it was excellent diving! Our Divemaster Derry was also great!

We did the Dolphin encounter / snorkel ($90) at anthoney's key on the Monday afternoon (got in two boat dives in the morning) The dolphin snorkel was AMAZING! there were 8 dolphins (4 adults and 4 babies) they were VERY interactive.....
was very fun....

Did one boat night dive, we saw a lot on this dive including 4 octopus, 4 spotted eel, a huge crab, lobster......it was great!

Dive boats are very roomy.........because some people only wanted to dive a few times the boat was never full!! Fun and friendly people!

Resort....very clean! It was a great resort, the beach was very nice and clean as well. We never had a problem with the bugs at all, we wore off skintastic and deep woods....both worked and we got maybe 3 bites that disappeared within 24 hrs.
The monkeys are fun and interactive, will sit on your shoulder if you have any kind of food or candy...or halls HAHAHA

Food....We found the food to be very good, there was always something we liked...the homemade ice cream is to die for. Oh and if they have strawberry cake....take some, it was GREAT! I had an omelet made to order every morning, this was excellent.

The seafood night was Wed night and was excellent! The crab legs were sort of hard to eat as they did not provide crackers to open em but this was minor!

Most people were on an all inclusive drink package as well (we were not) and the list they could choose from seemed quite good (pina colodas, coco locos, sex on the beach, beer, rum etc...). We just signed our drinks to our room and paid at the end, was not that bad as we were there to dive so never drank much, if you drank alot the all inclusive drink package would be worth it.

I noticed that not many people tipped the wait staff, we tipped when appropriate and a couple dollars went a long way towards the service you receive.

Shark Dive - Cara Cara (dive $95, video- $50) - very good video
We did the Shark dive on Thursday, these spots fill up fast so sign up right away if you are interested. We went at 10:30 so we missed the 2 morning boat dives and made it back for the 2:30 dive 9because our wonderful boat captain and divemaster waited for us THANKS GUYS!)
The shark dive was FASCINATING! make sure though that perhaps you had an extra weight so you don't move up if you are kneeling. This dive was definitely worth it and was awesome. I felt very safe and got to see about 12-15 of these beautiful creatures right in front of my face! Adrian did lose his weight belt when rolling off the boat but the divemaster gave him some weight when we got sown there. The weight belt did cost us $50 to replace to fantasy island...oh well crap happens.

Friday we could not dive as we were flying out sat morning. We decided to do zip lining....It was beyond good! We did it through South Shore zip lining. We had 4 guys as our tour guides and they were so much fun.....also they took our cameras and took many pictures of us! Would do this again! This also came with a one hour shopping tour in the west end which was great to get some souvenirs. ($60)

All in all it was an awesome vacation. There are many places to visit but this is one I am sure we will go back to!

Wow I didn't realize how long this was sorry about that!

Feel free to email me if you have any questions at all at webdiva1@shaw.ca .

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank webdiva1
Reviewed 26 March 2007

So I literally got back home yesterday. I'll point out the positives and the negatives, but overall for us this was a $2700 cdn all inclusive (flights, hotels, drinks, diving) vacation which I don't think you could beat if you wanted blue waters, white sandy beaches, great diving, etc. Would I go back? Probably not as I'd like to experience diving at other spots around Roatan.

What I liked...
The whole vacation was totally cheap and the dive crew was awesome. The dive shop manager, Robert, was awesome. He was all about safety and so were the divemasters. Suprisingly, the colors of the sponges, corals, etc were the brightest I've seen diving. They were totally flexible as to when to dive, etc. Top score for the dive teams.
I also really liked the animals. The monkeys are wild, but resident to the resort. They will feed from your hand and jump on your shoulder if you invite them to. They weren't "in your face" unless you chose to eat outside and stepped away from your dinner plate... in which case they still weren't "in your face" but you'd likely end up less one dinner role or your steak. There were also alot of ducks, iguanas, gecko like lizards, agouti's (guinea pigs on stilts), etc.
The home made icecream. YumYum. You gotta try the coconut icecream!!!!!
Now, before I go onto the bad/negative aspects of the trip... all in all, we had a good time and quite enjoyed ourselves.

The bad...
Ok, so day 1 my 2month pregnant wife and I check in. We're the first bus in but they had neatly organized and prearranged the rooms. We end up in #823. So, from the main resort building... you walk (with no cover from rain) past the dive shop, at the end of the resort, up the stairs up the side of the hill to another complex of rooms. Then, you go up two flights of stairs... 76 stairs in total. The room was recently renovated and was nice but I felt uncomfortable with my wife going up and down all the stairs on rain slippery steps. I requested the room to be changed and I was told it wouldn't be a problem... they would find us and notify us of the change. Day 2, no word. I asked again. Yup, we have another room for you but it hasn't been cleaned... we'll come get you when it's ready. Day 3, room? what room? we're completely full... someone else checked into that room. Nice. Back to room #823. So we have a recently renovated room with what they call a 'shower' installed about 4.5ft up the wall. So, if you were an extra in the Lord of the Rings, this would be perfect for you. Me, I'm 6'3" and found myself kneeling with the bath tap against my tummy in order to get my body wet... partly due to the height of the 'shower' and partly due to the sometimes dripping water volume (hehe... did I say volume?) from the 'shower'. There wasn't even a showerhead, it was like a pipe and the water was either 100% hot or 100% cold. So, aside from praying to the bath tap, soaping up with one hand, and turning the taps back and forth to get a decent water temperature.... hey, all was good if water was in fact coming out at all. No exaggeration here.... the 'shower' sucked. So, I am a little confused as to why they went to all the trouble to renovate but had a 4.5ft 'shower'??? maybe the lack of water pressure couldn't travel up pipes that high? I dunno. A lot of people had showers lower down than usual and it seemed that most either had 100% hot or cold water with no medium.

Ok, so the most negative thing I have to say would likely be the whole eating/dining experience. If you don't know already, it is buffet style breakfast/lunch/dinner.
Suprisingly, breakfast was the best meal unless you came to breakfast late... then you'd have to use honey instead of syrup. Breakfast... good bacon (us Canadians love our bacon), french toast, pancakes, cinamon role and croissants, fruits, horrible coffee, scrambled eggs (I'll never eat scrambled eggs at a buffet.... I think i have a phobia), and pretty good omelettes. Lunch was usually an assortment of meats and cheeses, burgers (it wasn't beef... or was it?), kinda stale hamburger buns, etc. Dinner, usually the same thing with about 3 new items nightly. The problems were the service. We often had to clear our own plates, get up and grab jugs of water off of the waiters stands, etc. At one point one of the girls at our table ordered a Pina Colada and the waitress looked at her and said "coke" and left. She returned with a Coke ??? A couple of meals, no one came to take drink orders and I spent almost an hour unattended while wait staff huddled around at the front in a near empty dining room... it was mostly an experiment on my part to see if the service was really that poor. Yep, hypothesis is TRUE! Oh ya, back to the food... in general... what looked appetizing was usually not warm enough to eat. Maybe it was a delicious meal.... but I don't think it was meant to be cold. So what can be worse than no service and cold food???? Let me see, let's serve the meal outside in the giant Palapa (a big thatched hut dining room that is mostly open. Perhaps this was meant to enhance our experience with nature.... there is a family of bats that lives in the roof of the dining room Palapa... and it is entertaining to watch people eating while being buzzed by bats. As well, there is a mesh netting near the top of the roof... the monkeys were crawling around on that while we ate... pieces of sand, branch twigs, etc falling from the roof onto our table and into our food. Loved the monkeys but not directly sitting over our meals.

I'm sure if you've read a few Fantasy Island reviews you'll read about bugs. I typically get eaten alive by mosquitos, but got away with using DeepWoods Off 30%deet only one day. I got a few sandfly bites, but they stayed as little red dots on my arms and were never itchy. The last day there, I had no repellent on the beach... and felt a few bites. I guess some people had issues with them, but for us... no problem.

So, there you have it. Great diving, bad food, and nonexistent dining service at a very affordable price. We did have fun, and the experience gives us lots of stories... although some stories that Fantasy Island Resort surely wouldn't want repeated.

Anthony Keys Resort did look good. You get to go there for the dolphin encounter. Oh, and if you can swim/snorkel... I felt the dolphin snorkel was better than the shark dive!!!! Worth every penny! It wasn't some cheesy stand in the water and get your pic with the dolphin.... you get to spend half an hour snorkelling on a sandy/reef rocky bottom in about 14ft of water with them. YOu dive down and they dive with you curious as to what you're picking up off the bottom. HiLight of the trip for sure!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank SharkBait74
Reviewed 26 March 2007

Feb 24th – Mar 3rd. We came to Fantasy Island with no great expectations. After reading the reviews we knew this resort was a 3 star resort and was not expecting anything different. But we have to say that we were pleasantly surprised. Our rooms and the hotel were very clean. They were always cleaning the beaches and other outside areas. The food was good, could have used a little more spices on some things, but good. The only thing I was disappointed about was the sea food night. They had wonderful king crab legs, but nothing to crack them with, so we really did not get to enjoy them.

The little no see um bugs, I think I had a total of 2 bites, my husband had a couple of more, but it was not that bad and we did not use bug spray. Now we saw other people with a lot of bites, so it might be where you are spending time at.

This was my first boat dive, so I did not know what to expect. We were assigned a boat at the beginning of the week and you dove on that boat all week. With the exception of a couple of people, everyone on our boat was fantastic. They all knew this was my first boat diving, and they all made me feel so comfortable and very safe. Robert was our Dive Master, and he was great, he showed us so many beautiful sites.

The staff at the event desk was also very helpful, we went on a couple of different tours with them, but I have to say the best was the regular canopy tour. The guide, Preston, and the crew were great. We had SO much fun and I would definitely recommend this tour to everyone.

But most of all, the staff was fantastic. From the girl who met us at the airport to the driver who took us back to the airport when we left. They were all so helpful, any time we needed something, they bent over backwards to help us. I wish I could remember names, but I am really bad about that. But one of the last drivers that took our group to the airport when leaving was so helpful. At the last minute I wanted a necklace for my daughter that I had seen the night before and didn't buy, I regretted it all day and night long. He grabbed a taxi for us, told the driver exactly where to take us, had the driver go into the shop with us to make sure everything went ok and then back to the airport. It took all of maybe 15 minutes and I was able to leave the island without any regrets about not buying something I wanted. He was great.

All and all it was a wonderful trip, I would recommend this resort to anyone and you can bet that we will be back. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at hd_mama@msn.com.

Scott and Cindy Mosbacker

19.3 km away
Henry Morgan Beach Resort
19.8 km away
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Fantasy Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!