“Ordering trap”
Review of The Fat Cow

The Fat Cow
Ranked #33 of 123 Restaurants in Mount Maunganui
Reviewed 15 March 2018

The Fat Cow specialises in smoked meat. We got a great welcome on a wet night and were quickly seated. Ordering is a bit different: you order the separate components of your meal to assemble a customised plate. Good idea, but as you stack up the items, costs can rise beyond what is reasonable. I ordered a grilled salmon steak (quite a small portion arrived, and not accompanied by any dressing either) and a basic green salad. If I had added another side, such as their admittedly delicious chunky fries (my husband ordered them and they were really good!) I would have created a plate that nudged the $30 mark. Pretty pricey. So I recommend The Fat Cow, but order cautiously. By the way, the dessert churros were very good; however, there was not enough chocolate sauce; and trust me, I know about churros having eaten them in the famous churros places in Madrid and in Bilbao and the Spaniards provide plenty of sauce.

1  Thank Angela217

Reviewed 9 March 2018

I am forever commenting how most restaurants are "same old ... same old" but here is a "breath of fresh air" in the Fat Cow.
The menu is totally different as is the style of eating. Shared plates seem to be the done thing here and you can get a selection of 3-4 different meets in your selection.
The preparation and presentation were both fantastic and the tables are a mixture of high "Bar style" tables and the conventional dining table.The doors to the restaurant on one side open up onto "Al Fresco" dining on the side walk and there are lounge couches as well. There are sliding windows along the other street front and one can sit on bar stools either inside or outside and enjoy your meal or a coffee at the coffee bar window.
Highly recommend this place for something different at good value.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

Thought we would give the Fat Cow a trial for one of our after work meals, so it was pretty early and the place was not busy. The waitress that served us was friendly and helpful, explaining that you select what you want from the options on the blackboard menu. We decided to take the easy option and selected the platter for 2 at $25. This arrived quickly on a large aluminium tray. The meats were well cooked and tender but the rest left a lot to be desired. The mexican? style beans were mushy and dry, the fries were very large, not crispy, with a floury texture, the coleslaw was sloppy, oversauced and looked as though it had been thrown out from McDonalds last week, and the whole lot had been dumped on top of the salad. We were provided with 2 small rectangular cardboard trays to eat from....Classy. Overall the meal was of poor home cooked standard.
The craft beers were OK but was it really necessary to serve them in half pint milk bottles and a small glass tumbler?
Then I went to pay and discovered that the platter for $25 was actually the platter for $25 per person. I was not impressed at all.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Fabulous meal for 8, loads of meat and delicious food. Excellent service, even the cocktails didn't take long to make.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

This is the first time I've ever written such a bad review. It is not for their food quality or venue but is because I could not believe the poor customer service. I rang to book a table for my husband and myself for Valentines dinner. I was told that they would NOT accept any booking for less than 6 people. Considering it was a celebration night for 'couples' I was extremely disappointed as this was not mentioned anywhere on their web site. I was looking forward to sampling their food. On principle, I doubt I ever will now.