“This should have been an amazing night with the girls!!!”

Mamma Mia Italian Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 121 Restaurants in Mount Maunganui
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Inspired by family recipes with simple ingredients and full of flavour, Mamma Mia is all about love for food. It is about sharing good moments with your favourite people at the heart of the Mount.
Reviewed 24 February 2018

Went to restaurant longing for a great night with my girls, right from the get go we had a tense experience with the head waitress who was on, when I went to ask for more water for our table I was greeted with stressed looks saying they were filling the water jugs and they would get around to it, then next had to ask for extra cutlery to which we were told we had to wait until all the orders of food were brought to the table before they could do this followed by another stressed look, when we asked to see the dessert menu we were told we had to wait until they had cleared the table, this waitress also rudely snapped her fingers and waved her hands in front of one of the women at the table to get her attention, while I understand they were busy and at no time were we rude at all, there is nothing more demeaning than treating adult women like children, the food also was not at its best the pork belly crackling could not be chewed, tiramisu tasted like it had been in the fridge for days and the creme brûlée had granulated sugar on top and couldn't be finished so unfortunately overall the experience was one we won't be repeating again and this is truly sad as we are lifelong locals. ☹️

1  Thank Stephanie M

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Good meal with a choice of Pizza, pasta and meat dishes. Excellent service, BYO and licensed. A popular place with good food.

Reviewed 9 February 2018

Great restaurant and staff. Smiling faces on the staff even though we arrived without a reservation with a large group. Staff made no fuss about arranging tables and chairs to accommodate us. Food was delicious. Pizza has a spot on crust and the toppings are generous and delicious. I would enjoy a tastier tomato under all those toppings however.
More zip would improve the flavour. Would go back to try the pasta next time.

Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

Came down to the mount for a couple of days while my husband works down here. He was out with his team so I had to sort dinner on my own. Mamma Mia came highly recommended by other trip advisor reviews and I enjoyed my time there.
I have a baby who was asleep in the stroller initially... unfortunately the food took ages to come out and the restaurant wasn’t very busy so would hate to think how long it takes when it is busy! My baby had woken up after one sleep cycle now and my food had only just arrived... I wanted to try eat and run to get my baby home so I didn’t let the pasta cool down... I therefore had a burnt palate and mouth!

Would recommend if you are not on a tight schedule as it is slow.

I had the prawn and scallops pasta which was very tasty apart from being very hot. There was chilli as garnish which I did not have but it could have tasted nice. I wasn’t ready for spicy hot and temperature hot.

Reviewed 2 February 2018

We read the recent reviews and were not disappointed in our meal last evening. The 3 generations of us all had pastas -what else - and very little was left on the plates. Four of the 6 allowed for desserts, which again went down well.

We owe the 2 staff a vote of thanks too - attentive, cheerful and knew the food offered. Mamma Mia was about half full on a dull, wet evening.