“Great PIEMONTESE's meat.”

Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Carru
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 March 2015

If you want to taste the real Ox here is the place. I live here and I suggest it.
Carne cruda di bue, tagliata di vitellone/bue e torta di nocciole con zabaione: this should be your menu!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,066)

Reviewed 26 October 2014

After five days on our own in the northern Alba area, we returned to an area just south of Alba for a full day with 55 of our friends on a tour bus from our own village in Como. We spent a full day visiting the squash festival and a winery, with the full traditional boiled meat lunch at this restaurant being the featured event. The menu posted outside says that the traditional complete meal is 37 Euro per person, but we paid 55 Euro for a complete day, including the meal and the fancy tour bus. Our group took over the main dining room, and I do not know if our experience was typical. We were encouraged to eat absolutely as much as we could, and then some, and there was unlimited dessert, wine and after dinner drinks. As I was on target to gain a kilogram per week over the five weeks, I showed reasonable restraint.

I can't think of anything like this in the USA, so go for the experience. Most of the boiled meats lack the sophistication of a memorable dining experience, so the event itself is the attraction, with one memorable exception. Their carne crudo is absolutely raw lean red meat, cut here by hand with a knife into tiny cubes, and best enjoyed with just a dash of olive oil. It was wonderful beyond belief, and I downed three small plates of it before my compatriots dragged me away from my plate! You would have to try it to understand.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Very nice restaurant with tipical but elegant italian food. Atmosphere was very friendly. Good prices.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We were sitting in this restaurant to have lunch and saw that many people ordered the bollito (pot-au-feu /bony stew). We were used to eat it in France thus we also selected it. This was the right decision because it turned out that their bollito is really exceptional. You can select at the table the cuts you prefer or want to try (close to a dozen) and they are served with several delicious vinaigrettes. Their other dishes and deserts were very good. A pity we are not living close by.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We were nine friends travelling from wineyard to wineyard, and were recommended to take a lunch at this restaurant. A really special experience. After a very delicious starter and the "obligatory" pasta, we were served from a trolley placed at our table. We could choose from all parts of an ox (not all parts were that tasty (!)), but all in all a very delicious lunch. The suggested wine was almost too rich in taste, but they had a wide assortment of wines if one want to pick one oneself. We would have wanted an englishspeaking waiter, but the bodylanguage were helpful.
Recommended.