“Amazing!”

Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Carru
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 March 2015

we arrived on a busy Sunday lunch without a booking and the restaurant was booked out. I noticed a small table in the kitchen and asked if we could eat there. The owner said her husband was about to have his lunch there and could we return in half an hour. It was pouring with rain and we were literally driving thru Carru. The lovely lady then said her husband could eat later and we could have the table. We were then seated in the kitchen at the best table of the house. The food was all amazing! The fritto misto Piedmontese was light and cooked to perfection. The pastas were all home made and delicate with perfectly matched sauces. The bolitto misto was incredibly good. Really delicious and such an experience for my partner who had never heard of it or eaten it before. The staff couldn't have been nicer and we were just made to feel so at home and welcome. It was such a wonderful experience. Grazie Mille tutti!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed 2 March 2015

If you want to taste the real Ox here is the place. I live here and I suggest it.
Carne cruda di bue, tagliata di vitellone/bue e torta di nocciole con zabaione: this should be your menu!

Reviewed 26 October 2014

After five days on our own in the northern Alba area, we returned to an area just south of Alba for a full day with 55 of our friends on a tour bus from our own village in Como. We spent a full day visiting the squash festival and a winery, with the full traditional boiled meat lunch at this restaurant being the featured event. The menu posted outside says that the traditional complete meal is 37 Euro per person, but we paid 55 Euro for a complete day, including the meal and the fancy tour bus. Our group took over the main dining room, and I do not know if our experience was typical. We were encouraged to eat absolutely as much as we could, and then some, and there was unlimited dessert, wine and after dinner drinks. As I was on target to gain a kilogram per week over the five weeks, I showed reasonable restraint.

I can't think of anything like this in the USA, so go for the experience. Most of the boiled meats lack the sophistication of a memorable dining experience, so the event itself is the attraction, with one memorable exception. Their carne crudo is absolutely raw lean red meat, cut here by hand with a knife into tiny cubes, and best enjoyed with just a dash of olive oil. It was wonderful beyond belief, and I downed three small plates of it before my compatriots dragged me away from my plate! You would have to try it to understand.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Very nice restaurant with tipical but elegant italian food. Atmosphere was very friendly. Good prices.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We were sitting in this restaurant to have lunch and saw that many people ordered the bollito (pot-au-feu /bony stew). We were used to eat it in France thus we also selected it. This was the right decision because it turned out that their bollito is really exceptional. You can select at the table the cuts you prefer or want to try (close to a dozen) and they are served with several delicious vinaigrettes. Their other dishes and deserts were very good. A pity we are not living close by.