Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews a lot of fun the kitchen staff amazing week instructor lesson board waves weekend accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

To start off; the camp was enjoyable I had a good time! Although I can't give the camp 5 stars because there were definitely points which can be improved;

I'll start with the positives:
- The staff were all super cool and chill, I felt like we're we're in safe hands and they all interacted with us with jokes and positivity!
- It was a great opportunity to meet other like-minded people and we all got along very well! It's always great to make new friends.
- The rooms were nice, it was a change from staying in a hostel with the little shacks, and the seating outside was chill.
- A good balance of surfing and down time; it was nice to be able to have some down time in the day to hang out with the instructors and other camp mates.
- I liked how the instructors were clearly passionate and enthusiastic about surfing, they gave *most* people 1 on 1 tuition.
- The photos were fun and plentiful - I don't know about others but the instructors loved coming out back with me and getting shots on the GoPro.
- A nice emphasis on sun safety - being a surf lifeguard it's a pet hate to see red faces walking around, but this was nice too see with SPF50 sun cream supplied.

Negatives and room for improvement:
- the website does state that more experienced surfers are welcome however they are not catered for very well, it was only until the last lesson that I was given the shorter 7ft foamy (granted they did use them for the instructors) but when you've been used to paddling shortboards, getting on a big foam 9ft board feels like you're on a boat.
- There didn't seem to be any progression; yes they went over popping over waves and turning - but many people in the camp were focussed on just standing, but those who were turning on waves couldn't step up to any hard board (which I believe it did say on the website could happen. They just sorta let me get on with my own thing like letting me go out back rather than catch white water.
- Although the food was good - there could easily be more choice such as more range of fruit to snack on.
- The wetsuit situation isn't great (I bought my own wetsuit so didn't need to worry) but the other campers were not allowed to hang their wetsuits inside out meaning they were all getting into soggy wetsuits! Nothing worse than that - some of the wetsuits were looking well used and at the end of their life. I could suggest having the Rip Curl size chart for people to measure themselves too as some people had very I'll-fitting suits.
- For some reason they only explained rip currents on the last session - I've saved a few people from rips and know how tough they are, It would make sense to explain this in the first session so people can spot them! Also a bit of surf etiquette would be useful first as I had to bail or quickly turn to miss other students when they paddled in front of me when I was on a wave.

I want to point out that there is not much swell here at 7-mile beach, great for beginners but if you fancy catching anything bigger than 2ft (don't believe Magic Seaweed when they say 4-6ft, it's not) I wouldn't recommend this beach, however a nice beach which was empty 90% of the time.

Overall I did enjoy the camp, it was nice to get out of reality and make some new friends as well as catching a few play waves, but there are points that can be improved which I hope will be considered to make the camp even better.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Halkins88
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

I did the weekend course from Friday to Sunday, and I had a blast!
You get to meet great people, make new friends and learn the basics of surfing. The instructors are very professional, skilled, and at the same time super fun high energy people. You have to try this if you get the chance!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2017

Had an amazing weekend at surf camp! Everyone, from instructors to kitchen staff, showed to be prepared to manage such big groups of people! The surf lessons are complete and every lesson starts with a bit “theory/basics”, warm ups and a long time of actual surf. Meeting new people from all around the world, standing in a surfboard for the first time and the party in the beach at night were some of the things that made this experience amazing (a must repeat)

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2017

The instructors are so funny, the food is good, the rooms are clean, the beach is sooo beautiful and most important, the surfing experiences and lessons are so great! In just one week I learned the basics and am able to go by myself now.
It was an amazing and funny week, you meet new people and the instructors are the best!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

The staff (both surf instructors and kitchen staff) really work hard to make the time you spend with them as fun as possible, and the surf instructors help everyone to the point where they can actually manage to stand on their boards and ride a wave out! The experience was amazing and I can't wait to go again!

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
SurfCampAustralia, Marketing Intern at Surf Camp Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Hi Tara,

Our staff and instructors really do work hard to provide a great experience for everyone at Surf Camp, so we're so happy to hear you agree! The guys at camps will appreciate hearing your positive feedback, too. We're stoked to know you want to come back, so don't forget to take advantage of our return surfer deals when you do. Just contact us for details.

Thanks for leaving a review!

Surf Camp Australia