Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews a lot of fun the kitchen staff amazing week instructor lesson board waves weekend accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 December 2017

I took the weekend groupon deal and it was well worth it! If you are looking to veg out on your phone the whole trip, forget it. The camp is a complete service dead zone and that's the best part. Everyone is out interacting and the energy is amazing! The Instructors are very good at getting everyone energetic.

This camp is not for those who already know how to surf, if you do you'll probably be bored. You go there with no previous experience and depending on how much you put into it, leave knowing all the basics of surfing!

It's best to go when there are no other large groups going and no one knows anyone. When I went, a large group of uni students made up the majority, and there were only a few of us who went by ourselves. It made it very cliquey, which was a bit annoying. Also the groupon is extremely inaccurate/misleading about the rooms and needs to be changed. There are no private rooms. Everyone sleeps in rooms with 6 other people. Nothing to bad about that, but don't think you'll get a "private 1 capacity room" like the groupon says.

All things considered, the weekend was amazing and we all left completely worn out, sun burnt, and knowing how to surf, with lots of great new friends! Would highly recommend it!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

I had such a great time...you even got ME on the board ;-) that actually means something...you are truely the best! Professionel, superfriendly and very sensitive Surfinstructors. Especially Ned and José make you feel very comfortible and safe, no matter how much time you need to get on the board. Thank you soooo much <3 Lilli

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2017

I love watching surfing but not courageous enough to do that. Luckily , I got the opportunity to join Surf Camp Australia. It was my first surfing experience and was mind blowing. The camps are good, food was delicious, and the instructors are super awsum. We had 3 lessons in 2 days and they were so productive that by the end of the day, we all managed to stand on our surfboards and face the attacking waves .

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank narjisriz
Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

To start off; the camp was enjoyable I had a good time! Although I can't give the camp 5 stars because there were definitely points which can be improved;

I'll start with the positives:
- The staff were all super cool and chill, I felt like we're we're in safe hands and they all interacted with us with jokes and positivity!
- It was a great opportunity to meet other like-minded people and we all got along very well! It's always great to make new friends.
- The rooms were nice, it was a change from staying in a hostel with the little shacks, and the seating outside was chill.
- A good balance of surfing and down time; it was nice to be able to have some down time in the day to hang out with the instructors and other camp mates.
- I liked how the instructors were clearly passionate and enthusiastic about surfing, they gave *most* people 1 on 1 tuition.
- The photos were fun and plentiful - I don't know about others but the instructors loved coming out back with me and getting shots on the GoPro.
- A nice emphasis on sun safety - being a surf lifeguard it's a pet hate to see red faces walking around, but this was nice too see with SPF50 sun cream supplied.

Negatives and room for improvement:
- the website does state that more experienced surfers are welcome however they are not catered for very well, it was only until the last lesson that I was given the shorter 7ft foamy (granted they did use them for the instructors) but when you've been used to paddling shortboards, getting on a big foam 9ft board feels like you're on a boat.
- There didn't seem to be any progression; yes they went over popping over waves and turning - but many people in the camp were focussed on just standing, but those who were turning on waves couldn't step up to any hard board (which I believe it did say on the website could happen. They just sorta let me get on with my own thing like letting me go out back rather than catch white water.
- Although the food was good - there could easily be more choice such as more range of fruit to snack on.
- The wetsuit situation isn't great (I bought my own wetsuit so didn't need to worry) but the other campers were not allowed to hang their wetsuits inside out meaning they were all getting into soggy wetsuits! Nothing worse than that - some of the wetsuits were looking well used and at the end of their life. I could suggest having the Rip Curl size chart for people to measure themselves too as some people had very I'll-fitting suits.
- For some reason they only explained rip currents on the last session - I've saved a few people from rips and know how tough they are, It would make sense to explain this in the first session so people can spot them! Also a bit of surf etiquette would be useful first as I had to bail or quickly turn to miss other students when they paddled in front of me when I was on a wave.

I want to point out that there is not much swell here at 7-mile beach, great for beginners but if you fancy catching anything bigger than 2ft (don't believe Magic Seaweed when they say 4-6ft, it's not) I wouldn't recommend this beach, however a nice beach which was empty 90% of the time.

Overall I did enjoy the camp, it was nice to get out of reality and make some new friends as well as catching a few play waves, but there are points that can be improved which I hope will be considered to make the camp even better.

Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Halkins88
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

I did the weekend course from Friday to Sunday, and I had a blast!
You get to meet great people, make new friends and learn the basics of surfing. The instructors are very professional, skilled, and at the same time super fun high energy people. You have to try this if you get the chance!

Date of stay: November 2017